Skip to content

Tournament of Champions

edited September 2016 in Imperial News
Here is the basic info for the ToC. I will be posting this later today in the game making it official. However, you have a couple of hours from now to point out any major flaws/problems with the format.

-- Jeremy

The Tournament of Champions consists of three separate competitions; 4v4, 2v2, and 1v1 tournaments.

Round Robin Competition
------------------------------
Dates: August 27th thru Sept 2nd
Start Times: 15:00 GMT and Midnight GMT.

Teams and individuals will be required to show for at least one of these times and will be matched to fight in a semi-automated system. Matches may or may not start right away depending on the number of participants and open arenas. We will run matches as quickly as possible through the available. If a team or individual fails to show often enough to complete the round robin matches, they will be disqualified.

Plan on having as many matches as we can run in a couple of hours. Matches will last a maximum of 20 minutes and the team with the most surviving members will win. In the case of equal surviving members, the match will be declared a draw. Teams will receive 3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw, and 0 points for a loss. After the round robin, the seeding for the finals matches will come from the top 8 teams/individuals. Only the top 8 teams will advance. If fewer than 8 teams enter the tournament we will change to a 4 team bracket.

Round robin groups will range from 3 to 8 teams/individuals depending on the number of participants and will be randomly assigned.

In the case of a tie the following tie break conditions will be used in order:
- Kill/Death difference.
- Team with the most kills.
- Head to head result.

Finals Matches
------------------------------
Dates: Sept 2 thru 4th
All quarter, semi, and final matches will happen on this weekend.

There are no draws in finals matches. Winning teams will be determined by the team that most recently had the most members. In other words, the team with the last member to be killed. If after 20 minutes neither team has lost a member, the match will be restarted and you will be mocked.

4v4 Tournament Prizes
-----------------------------
- A statue of the team members in the Hall of Champions at the Coliseum.
- A champion's gold medal. This will display a unique room 'slain by' message and deathsight message.
- Access to three unique racial titles: Murderous, Blood-Bathed, and Ravening
- A special honour line.
- Credit Prizes (See Below)

2v2 Tournament Prizes
- A statue of the team members in the Hall of Champions at the Coliseum.
- A champion's platinum medal. This will display a unique room 'slain by' message and deathsight message.
- Access to three unique racial titles: Bloodthirsty, Conquering, and Warmongering
- A special honour line.

1v1 Tournament Prizes
- A statue of the winner in the Hall of Champions at the Coliseum.
- A champion's quicksilver medal. This will display a unique room 'slain by' message and deathsight message.
- Access to three unique racial titles: Tactical-minded, Marauding, and Barbarous.
- A special honour line.

Credit Prizes
Each division (4v4, 2v2, and 1v1) will have 4 rounds. A round robin, quarter-final round, semi-final round, and a finals. Winning a match each of these rounds will award each participant with the following prizes.
- 10 for a round robin win.
- 25 for quarter final win.
- 50 for a semifinal win.
- 100 for a finals win.

In addition, any character on a team or registered in the 1v1 tournament that participates in at least one match, win or lose, will receive 10 participant credits.

* The Hall of Champions will be added to the Coliseum at the conclusion of the tournament. The statues will include descriptions of the characters, number of kills in the tournament, reactions when touched, and so on.

Comments

• Tactical-minded and Murderous should be switched in my opinion, looks awesome though.
  • I think the 1v1 round robin will be fought outside of the scheduled times as has been done in the past.

• I do have a question (and a request):

Something Risca mentioned earlier I think is pretty important to know for people who are getting asked to be backup for a main team. Who gets the title/statues/credits etc for winning, the whole team or the top 2/4 ranked members for 2v2 and 4v4 respectively? That might majorly influence whether people are ok with being backup or want to start their own team.

Also, any chance we could get a team 2v2/4v4 tell command, to talk to people in the team as a whole? Planning and stuff is a bit annoying atm. If I have this amazing idea for some overly complicated strategy that we'll never use there's no convenient way for me to tell the whole team atm short of mass tells or whatnot.
  • edited August 2016
    Septus said:

Also, any chance we could get a team 2v2/4v4 tell command, to talk to people in the team as a whole? Planning and stuff is a bit annoying atm. If I have this amazing idea for some overly complicated strategy that we'll never use there's no convenient way for me to tell the whole team atm short of mass tells or whatnot.

I can't answer the rest, since I'm not Jeremy, but I added this. To match the rest of the team commands, it's TEAM TELL <2v2 or 4v4> < message >.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • Thanks!
  • Septus said:

Something Risca mentioned earlier I think is pretty important to know for people who are getting asked to be backup for a main team. Who gets the title/statues/credits etc for winning, the whole team or the top 2/4 ranked members for 2v2 and 4v4 respectively? That might majorly influence whether people are ok with being backup or want to start their own team.

Dang it, I knew I forgot something. The prizes will be broken up based on participation just as has been done in the past. So if someone participates in 40% of the matches and another person in 60%, the credits will be broken up at the same rate.

Everyone on the team will get the title, statues, honours, etc.

• In the future, can we not schedule things like this, or can we at least get a few more facts about how it will work?

As it stands now you've basically blocked off an entire week for the ToC and I have no idea whatsoever about how the timing will actually work, which makes it really stupid had to plan for. The 9/1 to 9/4 weekend is already terrible for me schedule-wise so it would be really really nice if I had a clue as to when I should try to be here.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• edited August 2016
    Could you like maybe please tell us more about the schedule while there's still some time left for me to maybe do something about it? You know, like "anything at all outside of a vague range of dates"?

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• It will happen at 4am your timezone.
  • 4am would not necessarily be a problem; I can plan around 4am.

What I can't plan around is a complete and total lack of details other than "It'll all be sometime the week after next."

• My ex got very upset when I set my alarm for 4 am for last years ToA haha.
  • edited August 2016
    Iluv, one of the guys on Achaea had Achaea mentioned (by name, even) in his divorce proceedings. But what really made me sad one day, was this dude on one of the games saying something like "I guess I have to pay attention to her for a bit, she's been waiting for *insert ridiculous amount of time that she could have spent throwing his shit out on the front lawn*". And no, he was not talking about a pet :(
  • @khizan: Sorry, I was semi waiting to see what the turn out for the team stuff would be. I expect there will be a couple more entries, but not many.

We will stick with the 15:00 GMT and Midnight GMT schedule through the weekend. However, with only 4 to 5 teams in each division, I will attempt to do one round robin round early in the week and then we can seed the semi and final matches. Chances are we will be done before the weekend, in particular with the 2v2.

We will be releasing the 1v1 signup directions soon. Players will meet up and run those fights on their own schedules. Unless someone is purposely dodging or does not login for a couple of days, that should work out as it has in the past.

• Jeremy said:

However, with only 4 to 5 teams in each division, I will attempt to do one round robin round early in the week and then we can seed the semi and final matches. Chances are we will be done before the weekend, in particular with the 2v2.

Low turnout is why this works better as a part of the ToA, I think, or at least directly after the ToA.

• Yeah. We may do it that was next time. Or wait until a little later in the year. This is traditionally our slowest time of the year with summer ending and school starting. Things generally pick up in September and October. I would like to have two big events opposite of each other in the year, but maybe not.

• I just realized the Tournament of Ages Champion doesn't get a statue, but moreso doesn't get a shiny new title. #riscaproblems

• I can make you a statue if you want..
  • Do rituals and aspect power type things work in tournaments? I have never done a tournament, like, uh, ever. I want to say maybe not? But I am just honestly not sure at all.
  • You can use whatever you have to win.

• Jeremy said:

You can use whatever you have to win.

If the matches are held in the arena then this is absolutely not true.
  • Okay, I just found out kaibanish doesn't work in the arena. This is actually sort of a relief, tbh. Yet also not. I am not even sure but either way it does not work. And I -sort- of get the explanation behind that after the fact (it "removes" you from the arena), but my eyes in real life did roll a little.

My lofty goal in this thing (4v4), now that I am somehow actually doing it, is essentially, I would love to avoid doing something super dumb, and being wiped in the first 0.2 seconds.

Is there a list of things that do NOT work in the arena? I mean, our little team will certainly road test the things WE plan on doing in the arena, to simulate er, not real world conditions, but are there any other important things that people can do outside an arena that just won't work inside one?
  • Iluv said:

Jeremy said:

You can use whatever you have to win.

If the matches are held in the arena then this is absolutely not true.
    Sorry, you can use whatever you have available to you, in your match, to win.

• Jules said:

Is there a list of things that do NOT work in the arena? I mean, our little team will certainly road test the things WE plan on doing in the arena, to simulate er, not real world conditions, but are there any other important things that people can do outside an arena that just won't work inside one?

Sorry, there is not a list like that.

• Can we just publish the team lists? People are asking about my team. I want to know who is on their teams. Everyone clearly wants to know who is on what teams for planning purposes, and I don't want to play "I know something you don't know" or "super sekrit ToC espionage" or I don't even know.
  • edited August 2016
    Frankly I am just wondering if you and Laeka actually have 4 people.
  • You currently cannot switch out people. Team activate/deactivate can't work. I bugged it but mentioning it here since I know this is pretty short notice (plz don't make me 1 v 2 some alpha deathsquad).
  • So what is going on with the scheduled ToC? I could be bashing in Achaea right now.
  • Working up the divisions right now and I will post them shortly.

• Sorry. I was done with the divisions and realized one team was not taking it serious (had only one member). As a result I have had to rework everything.

• Tournament of Champions 4v4 and 2v2 divisions.

Teams will fight all of the other teams in their division, once. The top 4 teams will advance to the semi final round. The 1st place team will face the 4th place team. The 2nd place team will face the 3rd place team.

4v4 Round Robin
    ------------------------------------------------------
    1 Septus Participation Credits
    4 Laeka Lyke's Alive!
    5 Jules Team Derpsworn
    10 Iluv C-Team
    12 Fensrun Team Double Cael

2v2 Round Robin
    ------------------------------------------------------
    2 Septus Team Monk
    3 Laeka Team Monk II
    6 Robynn Padawans