Skip to content

ToA Feedback Megathread

123457»

Comments

• Krysaliss said:
    No, that's not my argument. I've been pretty clear about that?

I've also given examples of events in which automation does NOT make it impossible to place high, even where it can give an advantage. There's a clear difference between automation being impossible to compete against and automation giving an edge. 
    You have consistently been wrong about these things, though.

If you and Ultrix have equal knowledge of the game world and equal alertness as to where other people have been searching, Ultrix's autowalker beats you in 10 gemhunts out of 10. No question. It's faster. It knows every area in the game like the back of its hand. It works for 30 minutes straight without hand cramping or having to slow down. It never gets off path because it runs into the movement barrier or anything like that. 

If you are beating automated gemhunters, it is because they have a terrible gemhunter.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• VailVail Ithaqua
    So one can't win games like a gem hunt without having some automation to that extent going on? That's kind of a bummer. Will just stick to quests, hunting, and RP.
  • Yeah, pretty much every gemhunt is a battle between Caelya's and Ultrix's walkers.  Even so, it never really bothered me THAT much until Caelya ran through my room, grabbed the gems, and was like... many rooms away before I go "ummmmmm, *gurgle* *gurgle*".  It just immediately sunk in how utterly pointless it would be to even dabble at that point.  I literally went "screw it" and haven't really done a gemhunt since.  It is what it is though.  Then, I want to say it was Alesei, blazed through a room so fast in a PK gemhunt I missed chaining her by thousandths of a second.  Part of the problem actually is just how fast they allow people to walk in the gemhunts.  But then Esmyrsia held a pighunt (finally) and it was pretty awesome.  
  • edited May 2016
    For the record, I do not have a walker. I use path find area, path go, and then when I get to an area I manually walk through every room, which is prone to user error (I often run into walls, or skip rooms because I'm lazy). Any perceived superhuman speed is me frantically checking MAP and spamming a direction, while on a mount that can gallop and swim. I can't code my way out of a paper bag. The extent of my 'coding' for gem hunts and the like is 'get gem' when I see one. So when I win, I win because I am amazing.

That said, I would really encourage you to give it a go, @Vail. It does -not- require automation. While PK does require at the very least some aliases to optimize things for you, games don't have to be a system that plays for you. I play all my games myself, and I tend to not do awfully. My main advantage is that I'm tenacious, and I happen to have explored a lot of areas exhaustively, so I know where to go first and where to save for last because no one else is going to go there right away.

Also, this is pretty off-topic at this point, so let's stop talking about how great I am and move on to actual ToA feedback. Complain about automation in that other thread.

• edited May 2016
    I'll say... I mean, your reaction speed alone would have to be... amazing.  I've tried to do the "get gem" bit along the way as a casual sort of thing when I do path find and I was horrible at it, mainly because you can walk so much faster than human reaction speed (or, certainly mine, by a lot).  I mean, your reaction speed and ping etc... needs to be better than ~ 1/6 of a second if your walking speed itself is optimal.  Have to be even faster if there are multiple gems in the room.  I freely admit, I am floored.  I am trying to figure out how it works/is done.  Because you aren't just cleaning up at the bottom, you're running neck and neck with Ultrix.

EDIT:  if Caelya is really fully/mostly manual, it really does change the current automation conversation, especially for Soul Hunts.  I mean, it's just a different conversation at that point - including what Khizan and others have said about who is going to win/place in any competition with decent auto gemhunt walkers, which would have seemed pretty much a given.  From my point of view, I definitely thought I'd just had an autowalker burn through my room, "get gem" a few times, and keep on truckin' - it certainly -felt- like something automated, because it was so incredibly fast and efficient, with all of the gems, and the Caelya, long gone before I could muster a "durrrr".  But if it wasn't, what do you do with that?  I don't know... 
  • More of the Infestation games please.  I hope to see those outside of the tournament for sure with at least some regularity (I'd throw out once per week).  They were definitely a highlight.  Was hoping demonic would have Eldreth to lead one of their teams this time, which would have definitely made things even more interesting.  Still, demonic definitely made a showing with Risca, and I think Fensrun was leading their other team.
  • I like the concept of Over run ... but the mechanics as is makes the game a crap shoot.

• Basically hole up in a room
    • Wait for all mobs to move into room
    • Suffer massive lag spike
    • Pray to RNG God's that you are the last one in the target queue of the mob

• VailVail Ithaqua
    Woo prizes! This little familiar and talisman thing are cool. Happy about the credits since I need as many lessons as I can get!
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Crap... Forgot to do yesterday's daily :(
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • IniarIniar Australia
    I didn't get a puzzle box. *weep*
  • edited May 2016
    @elokia So, does the puzzle box play them back in order, or just randomly? Also, is there more of Legion to come, or is all this just a memory?
  • The puzzle box plays it in order.  As for Legion, he is an actual "Entity/God" now instead of a mob, so he's far from being done. But that's all I'll say!
  • IniarIniar Australia
    My only feed back is I would recommend converting the FFA into a team FFA with a randomisation timer. Random teams, after 50 seconds, your teams reshuffle. All the sheer delicious chaos.
  • Oh, forgot to give one of the specific reasons WHY Infestation is awesome.  It was appealing to our leaders (Septus), who liked the shifting tactical style I think.  BUT, not only did it allow us to involve newbies, it even allowed us to involve a gentle soul like @Miichelle (sts).  
  • @elokia thats all I wanted to know. Thank you!

And yes, the Lore ToA was way funner. The more you can integrate some RP into the overall game the better in my opinion. 
  • I'm not sure if I enjoyed this ToA as much as I have in the past but the Lore element was definitely one of the best bits and made it much more exciting, so that was a good addition! :)
    ** Yes, we're aware of the problems. Please do NOT use any HELP files at the moment.**.
    ** And don't try them now just see if they're really broken. **.
    ** Or credit conversion. Try not to do anything much right now. **.
    ** Don't panic, normal service will be restored as soon as possible. For now, enjoy the wonders of conversation. **.
    *** We will be rebooting in about 60 seconds ***.
    ** Don't panic. Just...stay close to your rosaries **.
    ** Monetary offers for Salvation accepted. **.