Skip to content

New Beta Nexus Client

The newest version of the Nexus client is available for testing. It has significant improvements. We have also added more in depth documentation for Nexus at http://nexus.ironrealms.com.

READ THIS BEFORE USE!
We have been using and testing it regularly, so it should be safe. However! You will want to back up your settings before trying, just in case. Alternatively you could create a new character. If in doubt, just wait for the full release, which will be in a couple days.

You can test the new client here:

SIMPLIFIED SCRIPTING
The highlight of this release is Simplified Scripting. You can now point, click, and drag to make new reflexes without needing to know how to code. You simply need to make an alias or match text from the game and add actions to that reflex. We have done a lot of work to make creating a reflex system as easy as possible. We will continue to improve Simplified Scripting, so please submit your feedback to us via the feedback form in the client.

You can read more about Simplified Scripting here: http://nexus.ironrealms.com/Simplified_Scripting

The updated wiki is now complete with examples, screenshots, and videos. You can browse it here: http://nexus.ironrealms.com 

For the javascript-savvy players, the client API is now stabilised and documented. 

For all things IRE GMCP, we've consolidated and updated all of our GMCP documentation on the wiki.

Other additions in this release include:

- A compass rose with highlighted exits can be enabled in settings.

- Settings are now automatically saved every 2 minutes.

- Settings interface improvements, including context-specific help links.

- Substantial layout improvements for mobile devices.

- Swipe support for mobile sidebar access.

- Toggleable support for event notifications while the client doesn't have focus.

- Exported settings now use the .nxs extension.

- Bugfixes.

Comments

• This is a pretty big update for us. Garryn did A LOT of work on this.

Please let us know about problems.

• I tried to play around with this for a bit, but it wasn't really being responsive when I tried to add or remove triggers/aliases/etc, so I never actually got to play around with it. Up to date Google Chrome, Win7.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• That is really strange. Super snappy and responsive for me when making reflexes. Our main problem now is dealing with lots of text hitting the output window for power users. I will point @garryn over here to maybe get more info.

• Khizan said:

I tried to play around with this for a bit, but it wasn't really being responsive when I tried to add or remove triggers/aliases/etc, so I never actually got to play around with it. Up to date Google Chrome, Win7.

Hrm. Does this behaviour persist if you disable all the browser extensions?
  • Not sure if it is kosher to ask really basic stuff here. But here goes

I was trying to use 'modify a variable' using the qualifier set value to variable - The variable invoked can be @prefix/ @suffix??
  • In Simplified scripting screen. 

Adding an action always adds the action to the last line of the script

Would it be possible to 'Add Action' at the current line instead 
  • OhmOhm
    edited March 2016
    Sometimes tool-tip for equilibrium/ health/ mana sometimes get permanently stuck. This often means you lose visibility to the most recent event on the screen. 

Often means I end up restarting the session in another window.
  • I hopped on the client for a few minutes when I didn't have my laptop with me, and I was really impressed.

The music is great.
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."
    (Ring): Lartus says, "Then it exploded."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • IniarIniar Australia
    @Garryn, @Eoghan;

disclaimer: I know nothing about networking.

In the last little bit, I've been trying to write my own client inside a browser...

I've ended up using the websocket bits of websockify (which also looks like what the default IRE client does)...

The latency is comparable with my Mudlet latency (200-600ms)... 

Until...

I start spamming commands. Anything from 5-10 commands spikes my latency up to anywhere between 4 seconds to 10.8 seconds. This is a similar experience that I have had with the default IRE client (fine with single/double inputs, high latency with multiple inputs). I feel, and I don't know how incorrect I am, that this behaviour is possible a manifestation of how Websockets work...

My question to you guys and other networking gurus out there - would changing the management of the connection to a TCP/IP protocol change this experience? Are there other explanations for this behaviour?

Sorry if this is incorrect, I'm sort of stumbling around in the dark here.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • We cannot use TCP/IP sockets in a browser, WebSockets is the only option - if we could, we would already be doing it.

Seems strange that you're getting that kind of lag, it generally works fine even under higher load.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Garryn said:
    We cannot use TCP/IP sockets in a browser, WebSockets is the only option - if we could, we would already be doing it.

Seems strange that you're getting that kind of lag, it generally works fine even under higher load.
    Yeah, I'm not really sure what it is... I tinkered around some more and I think it actually isn't WebSockets. Will dig more/try things out.
  • Have you set up responses to be blocking, @Iniar?  It is possible to set up a websocket in such a way that it will not allow you to send something else on that socket, until it receives a response from the server.  This is not the default setup, so it may not be an applicable response, but I recently had to fix something like this for an XMPP client that was malfunctioning that was very similar, and this ended up being the root cause.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    How do I tell if it's in blocking?
  • Depends how you're programming it.  Send me a PM on the forums here or an OOC message in-game, I can try and help ya if you fancy.  Probably best not to hijack this thread with it.