Skip to content

ToA Feedback Megathread

Comments

• TashiTashi Columbus, Ohio
    Anette said:
    Tashi said:
    Khizan said:
    Please make those coins that generate ants/spiders/snakes/etc not work during these events, or make their summons count for zero. The ability to generate so many tiny 1-pt mobs on demand makes for a stupid amount of burst kills that is stupidly hard to overcome without a supply to an equal amount of those coins.
    So my issue with not allowing this is, the only people who seem to care are those who either are choosing not to do use the coins, or do not have the coins/someone to come tap for them. If your goal is to truly have a "fair" bashing contest then you need to make everything the same for everyone and this includes artifacts and dps, which is never going to happen. Sure, I could go buy and/or borrow artifacts from someone(I have) for the Horror Hunt, but if I choose not to or am not able then I am not going to complain about someone else having them.
    It's basically giving people who are burning tokens (which you can't directly buy) an advantage over those who aren't.  There isn't a way to level the playing field unless there are tokens on promo market.  Artifacts you can buy at any time.  Tokens are subject to player economy availability.  Therefore the two are not analogous.
    In that line of thinking, I guess I should complain that Cyr bought all of the giftbag stones from promo market and I am not able to use them. Suppose they should disable the effects of those during the Horror Hunts as well then?
  • edited May 2016
    Within the context of an already cheesy system (that probably could be at least improved if people weren't pretty okay with lots of extra cheese as long as it's working for them), the coins are a great example of someone planning ahead and incorporating some rare cheese in with all of the government cheese in their strategy.  Best of all, a strategy that anyone who thought of it too late couldn't even attempt to copy, at least not this time around (well, unless they were sitting on a pile of tokens).     
  • I didn't have the bent coins in the first two hunts (I placed first and second) in the first one, it didn't matter too much given the restarts, but in the second I ended only ~80 points behind Risca, I am consistently looking for (and finding) new ways to get ahead in that, because I mostly have to if I want to win the Horror Hunts, but honestly no matter what changes they make, there's always going to be some cheese available, and the same people are going to end near the top
  • My big problem is that the Wheel so heavily devalued tokens and the wheel was 100% RNG. Somebody who spun a ton and was lucky with their spins had hundreds of tokens. Somebody who spun a ton and was not lucky doesn't.

Furthermore, the coins can be flipped and stored up for days or weeks ahead of time. I could fill up every room of my house with them, as an example. Since I'm Farah, I could fill up every room of the blocked off Inn with spiders, and the blocked off tent of offices, and so forth. Come an event, I can go smash through a few dozen rooms I've filled up with coin mobs. Coins scale for these kinds of events in a way that other artifacts do not. 

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• edited May 2016
    A suggestion I'd make for Soul Trap is somehow limiting your ability to capture to -just- the soul that you're being clued in on. If there's multiple in an area, you're currently able to snag all of them. Similarly, scout/soulsense skills should probably be disabled to level the playing field. That, or make the souls objects instead of mobs.

• Yeah, STALK probably isn't fair.
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."
    (Ring): Lartus says, "Then it exploded."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • Tashi said:
    In that line of thinking, I guess I should complain that Cyr bought all of the giftbag stones from promo market and I am not able to use them. Suppose they should disable the effects of those during the Horror Hunts as well then?
    A passive stat bonus that is not analogous to straight up walking points you can wall off in a secluded area such as a house and bash with impunity.
  • Tashi said:
    Khizan said:
    Please make those coins that generate ants/spiders/snakes/etc not work during these events, or make their summons count for zero. The ability to generate so many tiny 1-pt mobs on demand makes for a stupid amount of burst kills that is stupidly hard to overcome without a supply to an equal amount of those coins.
    So my issue with not allowing this is, the only people who seem to care are those who either are choosing not to do use the coins, or do not have the coins/someone to come tap for them. If your goal is to truly have a "fair" bashing contest then you need to make everything the same for everyone and this includes artifacts and dps, which is never going to happen. Sure, I could go buy and/or borrow artifacts from someone(I have) for the Horror Hunt, but if I choose not to or am not able then I am not going to complain about someone else having them.

Also, it's okay in your mind for people to "team" up so to speak and have them defend/elation buff/use reflections on the person? I would have thought you of all people would have been on board with everyone using everything they are able to in order to achieve the best results.
    I agree, and honestly, the last few hunts I've seen, the people who should have won, mostly did.  It's been tradeoffs between Cyr and Risca, Cyr having a strategy and lots of support, and Risca being one of the guys in the game who is good at everything and always finds a way to be near the top.  Those two guys were neck and neck, with everyone else not even close at the end, and to me, that in itself is a sign that things are pretty right with the (cheesy) world.  
  • honestly a +1 to str bonus is probably worth more than the coins to me(as I'm using the coins). Before Crits that's +10DPS on my combo, and over 3 hours, that's 108000 more damage before you include crits for every point of str I can get. 
  • I don't even know where to begin on that last Overrun, it was late, people figured out you could area attack so people were getting hit by Deathaura, whatever it was Iluv was throwing, rites, trying to meteor, etc. You disabled Shard Terrify (I'm assuming because people complained about losing points over it) but neglected to disable untargeted class skills that force movement, which amounts to the same thing. Basically it was a massive mess
  • edited May 2016
    Etienne said:
    While I have enjoyed the TOA so far (the lore is AMAZING), it has been very disappointing to see almost everyone abusing what are obvious oversights in the games.

The Bloodbath has been the only game so far in which I haven't seen this happen, and it has been my favorite so far. 

WarZone - Flooding, rubble.
    Horror Hunt - Collecting bounties, giving people fleas.
    Overrun - Rites, Deathaura, Belch, Meteor attempts, Mage AOE, etc.

I love that there are new games. I imagine admin put a lot of effort into trying to give us something new and interesting to do. I dislike that our players are ruining them. Laming the competition only shows disrespect for the efforts of the administration, the spirit of the competition, and our fellow players.

We all know better.
    The amount of cheese in this TOA is, frankly-speaking, extremely off-putting.
  • Is there not a way to flag players as immune to players? 

Just give turn on out immune-to-anything-not-originated-by-an-npc-that-isn't-loyal-to-a-player flag when we do these events.

Doesn't help with a few things like rubble, but it would be a lot better than what we have going on now.
  • Yeah, getting altar summoned during the horror hunt was extremely frustrating.
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."
    (Ring): Lartus says, "Then it exploded."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • Anette said:
    The ToA is a cheesefest. It will always be a cheesefest. Players like me and Juran save up cheesy tactics for an entire year just so we can drop it on the competition during the ToA.

I mean, a win in an event is 100 credits. There's big rewards at stake. People will always break out the cheese for it.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Khizan said:
    Anette said:
    The ToA is a cheesefest. It will always be a cheesefest. Players like me and Juran save up cheesy tactics for an entire year just so we can drop it on the competition during the ToA.

I mean, a win in an event is 100 credits. There's big rewards at stake. People will always break out the cheese for it.
    You might hate him for saying it, but the events this year are tame compared to the last one.
  • And if you think THIS is a cheesefest, just wait till the Tournament of Champions. 

• All this talk about cheese is making me hungry.

• edited May 2016
    I really think we might as well acknowledge the cheese aspect and have a little cheese festival, with a vendor selling commemorative cheeses and associated cheese wares, maybe for both ToA and ToC (I am actually kind of serious, I think it would be fun).  Cheese hats!  Cheese mustaches! 

And yeah, the Infestation was neat.  I missed the first one.  I hope the other circles have more of their leadership on for the last one.  They had some, but AM people have no life (just like everyone says), or, if they do, we also have Ultrix :D
  • I have no idea about what the events are. I just happened to log in last night and found myself collecting souls for some reason.

• Septus said:

I've not been able to be around for the ToA (I'm pretty sure I'm cursed at this point - I've missed all of them for completely unrelated reasons every year), but I got told I was going to do the infestation game by Ultrix and one does not simply tell Ultrix that you need to sleep instead.

Was very cool, probably the most fun style of pk event I've seen. Personally I much prefer it to ctf, it felt way more tactical/dynamic. Highfive to whoever came up with it.

I like infestation more than CTF because it is the same kind of moving-location based event, but not as susceptible to the whole 'must catch the flag carrier' thing that tends to turn into a Benny Hill scene.

• Khizan said:
    Septus said:

I've not been able to be around for the ToA (I'm pretty sure I'm cursed at this point - I've missed all of them for completely unrelated reasons every year), but I got told I was going to do the infestation game by Ultrix and one does not simply tell Ultrix that you need to sleep instead.

Was very cool, probably the most fun style of pk event I've seen. Personally I much prefer it to ctf, it felt way more tactical/dynamic. Highfive to whoever came up with it.

I like infestation more than CTF because it is the same kind of moving-location based event, but not as susceptible to the whole 'must catch the flag carrier' thing that tends to turn into a Benny Hill scene.
    I like it because it seriously actually forces team coordination. You can't have one solo hero flag capper go grab points on their own, because they'd get eaten alive by the soul guardian.
  • As we are edging closer to the end of this ToA, it sounds like the majority of our new games have been enjoyable? 

Any game you would never want to see again?

Any game you'd really love to see again?

Any of the Lore you hate?

Any of the Lore you love?

Quests, too hard/easy/annoying?

• [spoiler]Wrath is born with the primal scream of a jackal in the distance. Nemesis, the maiden-Goddess soaked in blood, the Red Maiden, stands in testament to Nyx and Hestia's Ire, Their essences combined in a shadowy conflagration. The newly-made Goddess draws a bow, aiming an arrow to Legion's heart. We hold Our breath.[/spoiler]

I looooved this so much, but really all of the lore has been AMAZING. That Charon reveal? :(:( Ugh, why do you do this to us? I need more!

In regards to the rest of the TOA, I've actually had a lot of fun. It's probably the most activity I've seen in awhile, which is understandable with credit prizes, but more importantly I've seen some newbies getting in on the fun and that's just awesome. I've only participated in one infestation so far (you won't get anything but snores from me at 3 AM, sorry!), but it was surprisingly fun for someone who doesn't do a whole lot of PK. I'm actually hoping that I can manage to be around for the next one!

I'm also looking forward to seeing the art and literary submissions later! :)

I take art commissions on request! Visit my website for commission info and more art!
  •  @Elokia as far as the games are concerned I feel most are a decent base that need tweaking, Overrun when it was being tested was great fun because it was small groups, but now it just becomes everyone piles into one room and prays that when mobs start oneshotting people, with the result being people have tried to find loopholes that didn't get coded in, and that have now been coded in or told you lose points for using. Soul Trap has the flaw that the clues are far less useful than certain skills to find the souls (scout comes to mind) making it just a competition of who can autowalk the area, or use a skill to find the soul faster, Horror hunts have less problems, although there still are problems, but 9 of them in a 9 day tournament? especially with some back to back? that's killer, and far more than needed.  Warzone feels very fun, although I'm bugged by the fact that people are using flood and the most common means of waterwalking (mounts) is unavailable to use for monks, since they can't bash mounted. Infestation has been fun, and I've overall enjoyed it, Bloodbath has been the best of the straight PK events, and Free-For-Alls are a mess of Demonic versus AM with Magick siding with whoever they choose to side with in hopes of placing, and not really a "free for all" it might as well be turned into a TeamFFA to randomize the teams somewhat. As far as the Daily quests, they've been fun, but I've heard that some of the lower level people in my circle have had troubles killing the mobs for them when they need to kill things, so that could maybe stand to be changed.
  • I hate Overrun.

The dominant tactic is always going to be to group up together, because the person going solo is going to lose before the group does. And then you have the case where larger groups are going to outlast smaller groups, for similar reasons. They have more DPS. They split hits among more players. They have more healing potential in way of hands/priestess/etc.

And with no PvP attacks allowed, you can't even stop players from grouping up with you. If I'm the only AM and there's a huge demonic group? Well, I'll just go camp with them. They can't do anything about it, unless the mobs aggro on me first and they have the discipline to hold their fire and let them kill me. I mean, without the ability to do anything to me, they can either move their group through the aggressive monsters, or they can cover my back in the process of covering theirs. 

It makes for a frustrating slow-paced unexciting experience and there's no feeling of skill involved because you generally go from "not in danger" to "these clots of mobs are oneshotting things" without any real middle ground. This is especially bad in the ToA events where you get credits just for participating so you end up with a huge amount of players in the game.

I'd rather the game be removed than have it exist in this current fashion. It rewards teamwork in all the wrong ways because it basically rewards raw numbers without no coordination, and there's no possible counterplay against other groups.

If it stays in the game, I'd like to see some things like this:

1. More mobs with AOE attacks. This makes grouping less effective by reducing their ability to share hits around the group.

2. More mobs with mechanics. Nothing like Shayor or or Druk that requires groupwork, but things like Nindzar's beast or Barsul's Everybody-Get-Out room attack. Things that force reactions and movement. "Everybody camp up here!' becomes a lot less attractive when one of your mobs drops a holobomb and everybody has to bail out into the giant clot that formed up. 

3. Mobs that throw you out of the room. Makes them definite priority targets to keep you from getting tossed out into a group. 

4. Maybe  Thur-lite mechanic on some mobs where an AOE hits harder the more people who are hit by it, so that it's tolerable in small groups but devastating on large ones
    Things like that to help counteract heavy grouping and keep things moving. 

• Cyr said:
    1) Horror hunts have less problems, although there still are problems, but 9 of them in a 9 day tournament? especially with some back to back? that's killer, and far more than needed.  
    2) Free-For-Alls are a mess of Demonic versus AM with Magick siding with whoever they choose to side with in hopes of placing, and not really a "free for all" it might as well be turned into a TeamFFA to randomize the teams somewhat. 
    1. People love bashing events. Seriously. I think that reducing the length would be good, though, three hour hunts are draining, especially when they happen at a time that means you're going to wind up with another event within an hour of it ending. 

2. Just do circle-based TeamFFAs.

• 1. Reduce number of Horror Hunts. I recommend half. 
    2. Agree with the sentiments of Overrun. Please remove until further changes. One suggestion I thought was maybe every 1-2 minutes everyone gets thrown to a new location in the arena. Maybe this will incentivize a group effort to clear clots. Mobs will have to be adjusted. Perhaps even how mobility works.
    3. Enjoyed bloodbath more than FFA too.
    4. Daily quests are awesome!
    5. I wish there was a tumble maze race even though it can be very frustrating.

• TRIPLE POST!

Also I'll be honest. I haven't even bothered to look at the lore stuff. I figure, there are only two ways future lore events will work out. The first way is that we'll roll with whichever faction looks like it will be the most fun to side with, and the second way is that we will get railroaded into supporting a faction regardless of what we actually want to do. There is technically a third option of "Well this looks like it's less fun, but OUR RP DEMANDS IT!" but we will never willingly choose it so it just rolls over into option two. So, really, the lore stuff doesn't matter that much to me. 

I hear good things about it from people who do get into that stuff, for what that is worth!