Skip to content

ToA Feedback Megathread

Comments

• Please make those coins that generate ants/spiders/snakes/etc not work during these events, or make their summons count for zero. The ability to generate so many tiny 1-pt mobs on demand makes for a stupid amount of burst kills that is stupidly hard to overcome without a supply to an equal amount of those coins.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Khizan said:
    Please make those coins that generate ants/spiders/snakes/etc not work during these events, or make their summons count for zero. The ability to generate so many tiny 1-pt mobs on demand makes for a stupid amount of burst kills that is stupidly hard to overcome without a supply to an equal amount of those coins.
    I wondered why there was so many of those running around.  Makes sense, but yeah, that's kind of super lame.
  • Day Three: Tuesday, May 3, 2014
      Daily Quest   : TBA
      00:00 - ARENA : Bait the Beast 
      03:00 - ARENA : Free-For-All 
      07:00 - WORLD : Soul Hunt 
      17:00 - QUEST : Overrun 
      21:00 - WORLD : Horror Hunt

Day Four: Wednesday, May 4, 2014
      Daily Quest   : TBA
      00:00 - WORLD : Horror Hunt
      03:00 - ARENA : Bloodbath 
      07:00 - ARENA : Free-For-All 
      17:00 - WORLD : Soul Trap
      21:00 - QUEST : War Zone 

Can we not have back to back horror hunts, as that schedule sits, it's 6 hours of horror hunt 

• I think the lore tie-in is really cool, and the daily events that tell a story as they go along are a nice touch. I haven't been around for any of the new events but they seem interesting and people seem to be enjoying them.

However I do agree with Krysaliss that it feels like there's much more emphasis on bashing and PK events. I'm probably biased by I'm really disappointed by the removal of the quiz and scavenger hunt, which were my favourites along with memory match. The thing I liked before about having different categories was that it gave people with different talents an opportunity to win something.
    ** Yes, we're aware of the problems. Please do NOT use any HELP files at the moment.**.
    ** And don't try them now just see if they're really broken. **.
    ** Or credit conversion. Try not to do anything much right now. **.
    ** Don't panic, normal service will be restored as soon as possible. For now, enjoy the wonders of conversation. **.
    *** We will be rebooting in about 60 seconds ***.
    ** Don't panic. Just...stay close to your rosaries **.
    ** Monetary offers for Salvation accepted. **.
  • Khizan said:
    Please make those coins that generate ants/spiders/snakes/etc not work during these events, or make their summons count for zero. The ability to generate so many tiny 1-pt mobs on demand makes for a stupid amount of burst kills that is stupidly hard to overcome without a supply to an equal amount of those coins.
    Ugh, that is so sheisty. 

People need to be less lame. 
  • I can't even get mad (but I am also not doing the hunts).  But I think anyone playing to win has to assume that if it's possible, and not outright banned, it is DEFINITELY going to be in play, and act accordingly.  There is so much cheese to go around.  I helped serve some of the cheese!  

If there is any interest at all in making these things "kind of sort of fair", it seems like you'd have to try to somehow standardize at least some of the basics, to at least some degree... As it is we have wild variations in I guess what you could call "profession" dps before artifacts, artifacts themselves (inevitably leading to the age old "when is 'but I paid good money' a valid argument and when is it just kind of letting the guy who already has a gazillion credits definitely win even more credits" debate).  They'd have to look at situations that allow and reward you for having that one dirtbag Templar defending and reflecting and keeping rites :3  And then there are people who have awesome shrines, and the people who do not.  And percentage based diabolist bonus thingies that stack with shrines.  And god knows what else (apparently coins, for one).  
  • I don't really mind losing the quiz, honestly.

It was a gigantic pain to deal with. It generally took more than an hour for a 20 question quiz, but the pacing was so erratic that you were chained to the desk. The questions were very hit-and-miss, some with multiple possible answers. The nature of a quiz is such that that winners tend to be from a group of people coordinating on skype and grepping through textfiles of helpfiles. I know that's how Ashel/Juran/myself/etc boosted Juran's Mind score, and I know of other groups who did the same thing. We'd even arrange to miss questions to ensure that we wouldn't tie and split points with Juran.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• I liked the quiz if only to see some of the hilarious answers people would come up with for some weird questions to which no one knew the correct response. 
  • When I won the quiz, I had copy and pasted help files to a master Word document and used ctrl + f on keywords. Worked like a charm.
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."
    (Ring): Lartus says, "Then it exploded."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • IniarIniar Australia
    The quiz was no fun. It'd make more sense being a directed interaction (make up a fun poem about Malkav and something relevant in his lore/other Gods, etc. etc.) rather than the repetition of old history that really doesn't engage anyone to explore the underlying stories. 10/10 decision to remove quiz.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • edited May 2016
    Iniar said:
    The quiz was no fun. It'd make more sense being a directed interaction (make up a fun poem about Malkav and something relevant in his lore/other Gods, etc. etc.) rather than the repetition of old history that really doesn't engage anyone to explore the underlying stories. 10/10 decision to remove quiz.
    Quizzes in muds always become he who can search help files best, wins.  The only skill you're testing is the skill of the person who coded the find function in respective word processors/mud clients.  I can see where they're going with it, it's to test lore knowledge, but when its all just in help anyways, you're not really testing a person's actual knowledge, and there's no way to really keep people from just looking up the answers, unless you start asking quiz questions of the kind of nature where you'd have to have been present at the event to answer it.

----

If I had any complaint about the ToA myself, it's that as someone who can only half-participate because of health (and I imagine this is true of many others because of their jobs in that real life thing), there doesn't seem to be much of a point participating in many of the contests because I'm not going to have the time to push to the top.  The kind of participation award for the Great Hunt (nominal as it seems) makes that one at least not a waste of time (along with getting money I can splash into a few credits), but some of the other ones become kind of pointless for those of us who aren't going to be able to place, and there's enough kind of scummy stuff going on (coins bit that Khizan mentioned) that I kind of get put off anyways.

I don't expect to get a whole lot as a consolation prize, but if I put a bunch of time into something and what I get out of it is nothing, then I'm wasting my time.  The Great Hunt is as I mention one of the better events in that regard, because even if I place 198043rd or something I'm still at least getting the bashing experience, gold, and progress towards that one achievement for the bracelets.  The same isn't true for many other events.  The arena events for instance.  It's like placing in the impromptu gemhunts you guys run sometimes, the gold is often nominal, really, but it at least makes it feel like not a waste of time if you didn't get first.

I'm actually super appreciative of the RP daily things for this reason, though, they give something that everyone can kind of appreciate on a daily basis as a part of the TOA and it no doubt helps that the memory quests are pretty neat and reveal interesting lore.  I guess in my head, I consider it my consolation prize, really.
  • edited May 2016

Anette said:

I don't expect to get a whole lot as a consolation prize, but if I put a bunch of time into something and what I get out of it is nothing, then I'm wasting my time.  The Great Hunt is as I mention one of the better events in that regard, because even if I place 198043rd or something I'm still at least getting the bashing experience, gold, and progress towards that one achievement for the bracelets.  The same isn't true for many other events.  The arena events for instance.  It's like placing in the impromptu gemhunts you guys run sometimes, the gold is often nominal, really, but it at least makes it feel like not a waste of time if you didn't get first.

At the end of the ToA you get two credits per point you earned regardless of your overall ranking, and you get one point just for showing up to an event. If you join an FFA and cleave yourself as soon as it starts, you'll get one point for participation and that one point will convert into two bound credits at the end of the tournament. It's worth participating in practically everything for just that reason. 

The ToA throws out huge amounts of credits for participation; it easily has the best effort/reward ratio of anything you'll find in this game, with the possible exception of bashing to aspect.

• IniarIniar Australia
    You should ask @Theophilus about the Wheel. ;)
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • VailVail Ithaqua
    As someone who is completely new, this has been hard to get swept up into and try out. The daily quest in the memory orb is cool, though. That part is easier to participate in, except when I have to kill things in there... hit and run really fast, or die.

I was mostly disappointed with that Horror Hunt I participated in, the first one... it said I earned 10 credits for killing a certain amount, but then I only got 1 credit and was told it was intended that way. Also, I have no idea how people were getting thousands of kills in that. I got maybe 300 something.

The Soul Hunt was okay. Encouraged me to explore even more, which I have no complaints about.

It was really hard to keep track of the events until someone told me about the help scroll for anniversary events, at first I had no idea how people knew when these things were happening because not all of it was posted in the news.

All in all, it's been quite a learning experience so far. It's tough being new and trying to take part somewhat, and maybe that's a good thing in the long run. Hopefully the next time there's one of these things I will have a better idea of what I am doing!
  • Vail said:
    It was really hard to keep track of the events until someone told me about the help scroll for anniversary events, at first I had no idea how people knew when these things were happening because not all of it was posted in the news.

ANNOUNCE NEWS #3345
    Date: 4/14/2016 at 20:51
    To  : Everyone
    Subj: The Tournament of Ages!

You can now find all information for the upcoming 2016 Tournament of Ages here:

HELP ANNIVERSARY SCHEDULE
    HELP ANNIVERSARY EVENTS

• VailVail Ithaqua
    Khizan said:
    Vail said:
    ANNOUNCE NEWS #3345
    Date: 4/14/2016 at 20:51
    To  : Everyone
    Subj: The Tournament of Ages!

You can now find all information for the upcoming 2016 Tournament of Ages here:

HELP ANNIVERSARY SCHEDULE
    HELP ANNIVERSARY EVENTS

I wasn't around then on April 14th and didn't go very far back in news posts. That's why I didn't know until I asked. It might be better if in the on-going news posts during the event that they put that as a reminder for newcomers.
  • They could make it a lot easier to find out if there's a TOA event going on prsently and if so which.
  • Khizan said:

Anette said:

At the end of the ToA you get two credits per point you earned regardless of your overall ranking, and you get one point just for showing up to an event. If you join an FFA and cleave yourself as soon as it starts, you'll get one point for participation and that one point will convert into two bound credits at the end of the tournament. It's worth participating in practically everything for just that reason. 

The ToA throws out huge amounts of credits for participation; it easily has the best effort/reward ratio of anything you'll find in this game, with the possible exception of bashing to aspect.

Those one (1) points for showing up are about all the most of us can expect, outside of the memory orb things which are 5 each.
  • edited May 2016

My thoughts on Overrun:

Sheltered temple.
    This has been marked as holy ground. A rune like a lightning bolt has been sketched into the ground here. A nebulous tetrahed
    ral crystal hovers in the air, spinning rapidly. A noble falcon is perched here, its bright eyes regarding you watchfully. Th
    e shining figure of a Seraphic guardian floats in the air here. A small black cobra is flaring its hood here. There are 2 ani
    mated apple roots here. A small songbird of shimmering gold hovers here, sapphire flecks glittering in her wings. A mighty ea
    rth golem stands guard here. Monitoring you closely, a mahogany-haired hound sits here dutifully. A sleek black hound stands 
    stone still, ears perked and alert. A black cobra is here, scales rotting off as it slithers about. A serpentine demonic lami
    a is hissing here. Surrounded by an aura of magical energy, a guardian djinn observes the area with dark, mysterious eyes. An
     ebony black nightmare stands here, surrounding by ephemereal wisps of shadow. Dr. Owyn Ashtear, Massacre Surgeon is riding o
    n a lethargic black lion named Oneiro. He wields a mithril mace in his left hand and a lunar shield in his right. Paragon The
    ophilus Aracelia, the Ultraviolent is here, electricity coursing across his flesh. He wields a frost-rimmed chalybeous glaive
     in his left hand and a tower shield in his right. The Lovely Lord, Kabaal Lynne is here, hidden. He wields a black ophidian 
    shield of articulated plates in his left hand and a needle-pointed dirk in his right. Tashi is riding on a lanky giraffe name
    d Harrold. Tikal Dawnsong is here, surrounded by several ethereal wisps. She wields a lunar shield in her left hand and a bro
    adsword of Vahin in her right. Bewytching Skye Arivan is here, flames dancing across her flesh. The ever-shifting visage of L
    aeka, Aspect of Moradeim, is here. The ever-shifting visage of Alexys, Aspect of Moradeim, is here. She wields a sharpened qu
    arterstaff in her left hand and a cavalry shield in her right. Great Oak Curran Iavas, Light of Serenity is here, a scintilla
    ting aura of light surrounding her. She wields a sharpened quarterstaff in her left hand and a banded shield in her right. Sa
    i Fensrun Talmarian is riding on a charred chariot. She is holding a buckler in her left hand. Maelstrom Ohm Tancredi, Eye of
     the Storm is here, the four elements orbiting his form in small orbs. He wields a lunar shield in his left hand and a curved
     sabre in his right. Cyr Nullheart is here, electricity coursing across his flesh. He wields a strong broadsword in his left 
    hand and a tower shield in his right. Rei Moonaires K'ethastarii, the Tidecaller stands here wreathed in scintillating flames
     reminiscent of a rising phoenix. She is holding a wyvern-shaped shield in her left hand. Leighanna Krax'ai, Voice of the Pho
    enix is here surrounded by wayward leaves upon an ethereal breeze. She is holding a mithril shield in her left hand. Rek is h
    ere, hidden. He wields a needle-pointed dirk in his left hand and an iron-tipped whip in his right. Caelya Talmarian, the Sli
    therer is here, her flesh slowly rotting away before your eyes. She wields a banded shield in her left hand and a strong broa
    dsword in her right. Ms. Iluv Bialystone, the Poison Ivy is here, flames dancing across her flesh. She wields an elegant maho
    gany quarterstaff named Isley in her left hand and a mithril shield in her right. Spring's Requiem, Mercer Iavas is here, wav
    es weaving in intricate patterns around him. He wields a lunar shield in his left hand and a Harp of the Harmonies in his rig
    ht. The ever-shifting visage of Mirela, Aspect of Moradeim, is here. She is holding a truesilver shield in her left hand. Hor
    de Reaver Kaeas, Warrior of the Crypt is here. He wields a dwarven battleaxe in his left hand and a small gleaming stone in h
    is right. Risca Arivan is here, electricity coursing across his flesh. He wields a lunar shield in his left hand and a scourg
    ebone daegger in his right. Genjuro Valstivar is here, giving off a truly ghastly stench. Mercurial Jaivanna Fel'Amrit, the B
    lood-Soaked Amazon is here, giving off a truly ghastly stench. She wields a blood-stained javelin of bone in her left hand an
    d an obsidian shield of the Rogue in her right. Elrith Mjollnir is here, his incorporeal form ever-shifting. He wields a stro
    ng broadsword in his left hand and a mithril shield in his right.
    You see a single exit leading northwest.

This event is stupid right now and I hate it. 

It rewards forting up far too heavily and because we can't PvP each other we can't even stop demonic from jumping in our room and getting support from us, because we can't attack them, and these mobs are far far far far far far far far too weak to pose a threat to a group this size.

• edited May 2016

Another note on overrun:

You can SHARD TERRIFY RED to break up the group of players, as well as earthburst! Probably shield crash and demon blast, too.

But yeah, the big problem with overrun is that you end up getting all 20 dudes in the same room and mobs don't track in fast enough to pose anything like a threat. You either need to have the mobs swarm in much faster, or you need to do something to stop people from stacking up like that.

• They should start giving the mobs for overrun attacks that scatter a whole room of players, that'd fix it right sharpish.
  • I'm a bit too busy to really participate in ToA this year, but the daily quests are AMAZING.  :x
    currently tentatively active
    (may vanish for periods of time)
  • If we're going to have back-to-back horror hunts, at least reset the levels of memories at the start of the second one..

Some people, like @Cyr, started out with max level memories because he didn't die in the first one, so his points were higher than everyone else from the beginning.
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • If we're going to have back-to-back horror hunts, at least reset the levels of memories at the start of the second one..

Some people, like @Cyr, started out with max level memories because he didn't die in the first one, so his points were higher than everyone else from the beginning.
    Is it really that big a difference?  I placed 16th in the one I participated in just bashing Skegdald having come in halfway through the event.  I never touched a memory, unless you include offering a pile of corpses someone left unattended for 10min.
  • IIRC they max out at 5 points per, and it's not really what surged me to a huge lead, I didn't even notice if they reset or not though 
  • Five point memories are often a disadvantage, because they have so much health that it's actually easier to kill five 1 point memories. Part of Great Hunt strategy is learning when to kill yourself to reset summon difficulty.

• Bloodbaths, as always, are amazing. I'd almost be willing to sub out all the future FFAs for Bloodbaths with the way they've been going so far.

• TashiTashi Columbus, Ohio
    Khizan said:
    So my issue with not allowing this is, the only people who seem to care are those who either are choosing not to do use the coins, or do not have the coins/someone to come tap for them. If your goal is to truly have a "fair" bashing contest then you need to make everything the same for everyone and this includes artifacts and dps, which is never going to happen. Sure, I could go buy and/or borrow artifacts from someone(I have) for the Horror Hunt, but if I choose not to or am not able then I am not going to complain about someone else having them.

Also, it's okay in your mind for people to "team" up so to speak and have them defend/elation buff/use reflections on the person? I would have thought you of all people would have been on board with everyone using everything they are able to in order to achieve the best results.
  • edited May 2016
    Tashi said:
    Khizan said:
    So my issue with not allowing this is, the only people who seem to care are those who either are choosing not to do use the coins, or do not have the coins/someone to come tap for them. If your goal is to truly have a "fair" bashing contest then you need to make everything the same for everyone and this includes artifacts and dps, which is never going to happen. Sure, I could go buy and/or borrow artifacts from someone(I have) for the Horror Hunt, but if I choose not to or am not able then I am not going to complain about someone else having them.
    It's basically giving people who are burning tokens (which you can't directly buy) an advantage over those who aren't.  There isn't a way to level the playing field unless there are tokens on promo market.  Artifacts you can buy at any time.  Tokens are subject to player economy availability.  Therefore the two are not analogous.
  • edited May 2016
    nvm