Skip to content

New Player Gap

Hey gang, I just wanted to post on here to introduce myself.  It is tough to come into a game like this with such a huge skill gap and learning curve from a lower tier player like myself to the crew that runs the top tier (on both sides).  No, I'm not after sympathy, but I just wanted to let it be known that I'm not giving up and look forward to progressing and getting to interact with all of you IG.  The demonic presence has taken me under their wing and are offering insight and training across the board.  I'm starting to get a feel for personalities, and hope everyone is as helpful as my mentors where to me; let's stimulate some new blood in Imperian.. (so there's someone I can eventually kill!)

Thanks guys,

Sevhn  

Comments

• Hang on.  You're an actual true newbie?  Not a retired transplant?  

I'm giddy with excitement
  • :V Woo this is so cool
  • Sevhn said:
    Hey gang, I just wanted to post on here to introduce myself.  It is tough to come into a game like this with such a huge skill gap and learning curve from a lower tier player like myself to the crew that runs the top tier (on both sides).  No, I'm not after sympathy, but I just wanted to let it be known that I'm not giving up and look forward to progressing and getting to interact with all of you IG.  The demonic presence has taken me under their wing and are offering insight and training across the board.  I'm starting to get a feel for personalities, and hope everyone is as helpful as my mentors where to me; let's stimulate some new blood in Imperian.. (so there's someone I can eventually kill!)

Thanks guys,

Sevhn  
    I like you so far. You're progressing in combat nicely. Keep it up.
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."
    (Ring): Lartus says, "Then it exploded."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • You're the guy I always feel bad to realize I bashed over you :c
  • Trying to learn combat in these games can be humbling to say the least.  It -is- tough.  However, some people really do take to it, even if they do struggle with a very real gap in the beginning, and you may be one of those.  Still, I think many, many people are going to feel something like the guy in this excerpt from a random (but great) quora post at some point (he turned out to have a heart condition that was causing the issues, and fortunately, it was very treatable!):

"Being dumb came with a shocking loss of privilege. This was humbling. Smart people, like the very attractive, get special treatment they do not know they are getting. A slower mind and the normal treatment that comes with it makes the world look cruel, unfair and cold.

It was a shocking blow, a loss of identity. I was the guy that came up with the answers. Not anymore.

It was most frustrating to be tricked, manipulated and used. I could sense what was happening but could not sidestep the tricks. I could see myself being manipulated but was helpless to defend myself as my intellect became overwhelmed.

Worst of all was feeling like people thought I was some kind of fraud, in that I could no longer reproduce or even accurately describe feats from the past. To be challenged in your accomplishments adds insults to injury as you struggle with your limitations."
  • ArcannArcann 217792gti
    Oh hi! I didn't realize this existed! I'm in the same boat as Sevhn and Dimitri! So far I've had fun!
  • Yaaaaaaaaay new demoners!!!! I hope you continue to enjoy it!
  • Esmyrsia said:
    Yaaaaaaaaay new demoners!!!! I hope you continue to enjoy it!
    Never underestimate the power of the dark side.
  • ArcannArcann 217792gti
    @Esmyrsia I'm enjoying it! The Defiler class has been a lot of fun, and everyone so far has been really helpful and patient with me while I pester them with questions when I'm not out killing stuff!
  • Yeah, one hour in and I'm pretty much being ignored in newbie, so I'm just doing quests and hoping it leads to something more interesting that 'go here, kill this, go there, turn in reward, etc"
  • Keiko said:
    Yeah, one hour in and I'm pretty much being ignored in newbie, so I'm just doing quests and hoping it leads to something more interesting that 'go here, kill this, go there, turn in reward, etc"
    I'm sorry to hear that. Normally people will speak up there and be as helpful as possible. I'm not sure, but there might have been an event going on and people were focused on that but even so, there should have been someone to respond to you.

Go there and ask questions again, talk or anything. I'm sure there will be me or someone else to talk to.
  • Well, here's a question.  How long do I have to keep doing these fetch quests before I get into the big part of the game?  Or is this it?
  • Hi, Keiko. I am sorry you were ignored on the newbie channel. We have our anniversary event, and it is possible people were pretty enthralled in that, but that is still no excuse.

Being as you are still in the "newbie" stage of your time here in the game, you have some basic quests we provide that gives you an opportunity to learn how to play the game. However, you are in no way forced to do these quests if you do not want to. You are more than welcomed to walk around and find other things to do, we just do our best to move you through newbiehood fairly easily.

If you have any questions you're more than welcomed to speak up on Newbie - or message me directly.

Welcome to the game, I hope you're enjoying your time here!
  • KeikoKeiko USA
    edited May 2016
    So the quests are just for teaching purposes?  I'd better do them, then.

Thanks.  I'm actually looking forward to roleplaying with people in Imperian, but I'd better learn what I'm doing first. ;)
  • SevhnSevhn Missouri USA
    edited June 2016
    Sevhn said:

Thanks guys,

Sevhn  
    More my useless noob thoughts thus far.

That gap is closing...  Mathius and Baasche and Kabaal have been a huge help with coding.  Risca, Eldreth, Fensrun, Iniar, Iluv and Septus have all worked with me in understanding combat logistics, how to defend, when to strike... et cetra.  Some things still make me scratch my head.  For instance, Kryss made me queue moonwort in 4.3 seconds... pretty wild.  Hopefully I can learn more from her IG.  So far all I've been able to get is, "have we met?"  (progress)

The affliction knowledge piece is a big pill to swallow.  Looking back on everything (and my recommendation to any new players reading this); take an earlier look at afflictions, after you have a grasp on team mechanics.  Log everything.  Read it later. Laugh at your own idiocy...

I believe I'm at the crossroad that many of you have been at previously, when it's time to look at aff stacking instead of trying to overpower with the damage stick.  Can it be done with Summoner?  Do I need to switch classes?  Probably.  Here's to the next level of understanding and knowledge...

Cheers,

Sevhn
  • edited June 2016
    Oops.  
  • What?