Skip to content

Death of the gods

I've been trying to find a concise explanation for what exactly happened between the third and fourth ages where all the gods died. Why were they fighting? Why did they die, considering they are, y'know, gods. By definition immortal.

I get that entities are their remnants and all that jazz, I guess I'm just trying to understand how they ended up getting themselves killed in the first place. I've looked at HELP scrolls and mostly ended up more confused, so an explanation would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Each of the Gods' HELP files has a bit of the fight that happened, and the events posts that go over the fights, and explains it a little bit. Also announcement posts around that time explain things as well. Take a look at HELP GODS for a clean list of events posts as well.

- Rundown: Demon Lord were released, they wanted to take over, they killed Avasyu, and then began killing the Gods: News flash, Gods can be killed much like Entities today.

Side note - Thanatos IS dead, he did not survive. 
  • EdricEdric El Salvador
    Yeah, those help files are what I felt lacked the overarching context and just left me more confused. Yeah Avasyu had his head chewed off, but WHY?

Thanks for the rundown, that sort of broad-strokes story is what I wanted.
  • Ask @Khizan. Dude was responsible for it all, or so he claims.
  • Khizan and Sanai led the Kinsarmarian efforts to open the gates. We didn't know that we'd be unleashing God-slaying Demon Lords by opening the gates, but honesty compels me to admit that I'd have done it anyways.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Basically, yes: people will push big red buttons, consequences be damned.

Also note that the Demons that killed the gods are different from the demons that Demonic Circle is aligned to, or something. From what I know, demons = exist in this universe, but on a different plane of existence; Demons = from a whole other universe.
    currently tentatively active
    (may vanish for periods of time)
  • EdricEdric El Salvador
    Is it sort of like demons vs. devils (Demons in this case) in D&D? Some are structured evil entities with a strict hierarchy that want organized conquest, the others just want to see the world burn?
  • Hopefully they will release an event or area or something in the future to explain what exactly they were, but from an OOC perspective, the 'Demons' were really just a faction that were thrown into the mix because DEMONS. At the end of the event, players used the essence of the dead Gods to power the Hammer of the Gods, a cataclysmic weapon that was revealed to be able to wipe out totally and forever one faction: the undead, the Horde, or demons, essentially erasing them as future antagonists. Because the DEMON Lords or whatever they called themselves came from this DEMON land and killed everyone's Gods, it wasn't really much of a choice for most people. It turned into the world versus the people stubborn enough to defend the fact that they had opened the gate in the first place, or actually wanted to destroy the Horde (this was probably one person, me). 

All that said, I think it would be extremely beneficial if there were an area dedicated to explaining what the old gods were and what happened to them, if only for the sake of newbies who will inevitably hear about the old gods from one person or another. Yes, they can always ask another character, but another area with more lore isn't the worst thing ever.

• edited June 2015
    Caelya said:

All that said, I think it would be extremely beneficial if there were an area dedicated to explaining what the old gods were and what happened to them, if only for the sake of newbies who will inevitably hear about the old gods from one person or another. Yes, they can always ask another character, but another area with more lore isn't the worst thing ever.

But does anyone really know the answer to this question? I think by now it's clear not everything was as it seemed!

(Now I back away slowly before I start treading on @Elokia's turf)
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • Hey! I'm digging stuff up too! I was a mortal during all this! I would like to say "I have something planned to explain all the things," but in reality, I have no idea what was going on at the time as I was discovering just as you guys were. However. Maybe after the 15 projects I have on my to-do list, I'll get to it. (Sorry that's dreadful I know but Races are my priority right now). ((As well as cleaning up some really really old lore)).
  • Elokia said:

Side note - Thanatos IS dead, he did not survive. 

:( :-q
    ** Yes, we're aware of the problems. Please do NOT use any HELP files at the moment.**.
    ** And don't try them now just see if they're really broken. **.
    ** Or credit conversion. Try not to do anything much right now. **.
    ** Don't panic, normal service will be restored as soon as possible. For now, enjoy the wonders of conversation. **.
    *** We will be rebooting in about 60 seconds ***.
    ** Don't panic. Just...stay close to your rosaries **.
    ** Monetary offers for Salvation accepted. **.
  • Going off of @caelya's suggestion, I'd propose that the old Stavenn Church could be relocated to be used for the demonic gods.

Also, is there anyway we can open the old Ruin temple? :(

• I -do- have plans for temples, however, it's not on the top of my list right now. I'm trying to get through the year of racial histories first. Which I'm nearly done with a few races, so hopefully we'll see those soon. I have released one temple so far, which was for a bit of Horde RP. I actually already have minor plans for two more that go along with another bit. So we shall see. But this stuff takes time, and I'm only one person, so don't hate me too much!
  • No hate @elokia. I just want to visit their library. #nerd

• Some of the Gods actually cleared out their libraries prior to their death. So it may be bare. I haven't gone and checked.
  • Gods took their books to read them at otherside?
  • Ifreann said:
    Gods took their books to read them at otherside?
    The redundancy there must be terrible.

• Don't make me go deleting programs :( I don't want to be mean! 
  • How do you play in a world where there really is nothing to grab hold of?  I have been struggling trying to find some sort of conviction that I could live by and die for. I believe Sects and Cults are suppose to provide some sort of religious flavor but I find that lacking too. The concept of fighting for Magick is just weird. Am I suppose to flood the world with sigils and stuff? I know that if I am just looking for some PvP action (and a quick death!) I could just go find a shrine to defile but it sure would be a bit more fun if doing so had some real purpose.
  • edited September 2015
    Personally, I grab on to the idea that we are near immortal beings with super powers.  We're not unlike say, lesser greek gods.  We're powerful, we're bored, we can be petty (this analogy really does fit incredibly well I think), we'll meddle with things just to entertain ourselves for a bit (or perhaps because it fits our personal, probably somewhat narrow view of what's "right").  I am sooooo glad that Imperian got rid of all of its Gods, and to be honest, the entities can be good when they spur action, but I also want them to continue to leave the main stage for players to do as they will.  I mean, when it comes to how the world looks IC, I like a world that looks like it is run by adventurers (even if I favor admin involvement when players are clearly making each other miserable).  I definitely do NOT want entities to become gods in all but name.  So for me, all of THAT is something to grab onto, I feel.  As well, there is the whole "Band of Brothers" aspect that you can play up.  Why are we fighting?  Because someone attacked our little newb at a shard fall, and hell no we aren't having that.  We will go back and try to kill the enemy until that level 50 guy with no arties harvests the last shard.
  • My RP is that we are dead Vikings and this is Valhalla and we have to fight constantly to train for Ragnarok.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• edited September 2015
    I think all the Gods should just appear in the sky and be like "lulz, we're not really dead". It would fit with the lore
  • Rali said:
    How do you play in a world where there really is nothing to grab hold of?  I have been struggling trying to find some sort of conviction that I could live by and die for. I believe Sects and Cults are suppose to provide some sort of religious flavor but I find that lacking too. The concept of fighting for Magick is just weird. Am I suppose to flood the world with sigils and stuff? I know that if I am just looking for some PvP action (and a quick death!) I could just go find a shrine to defile but it sure would be a bit more fun if doing so had some real purpose.
    The bolded part has been a major problem of Magick from time immemorial. You have AM, which is No To All Magick, on one side, while there is Demonic, which is Yes To All Magick Even the Demony Flavour Kind. Magick is kind of pasted in between, and they usually have a hard time justifying which kind of magick is okay and which is not (also due to the shady boundaries of what qualifies as 'demonic' magick).

I suppose one way you can distinguish yourself from the other two circles to present a more ideological spin on it. Think of Demonic as more of a "no regulations" take on magick, while Magick takes a highly regulated, Big Brother-esque approach on it. All the while appearing benevolent and happy.
    currently tentatively active
    (may vanish for periods of time)
  • IniarIniar Australia
    More like...

What??

Demonic Magic??

Why use such INFERIOR magic?

PFFFT.

:3
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure