Skip to content

Shiny new knights

Comments

• Septus said:

An alternative might be raising the initial entry for lionstance by another reave combo (and leaving tgs at the current threshold). That might give more reason to use tgs, as the only reason I can see to use it currently would be as rg to fit a second reave combo inside the knife window. Personally I'd be more inclined to say the enhancements are the major issue (because they're too easy to make fire currently).

That's exactly why I use TGS over LNS.  Also, bal/eq sync with flares.
  • Funnily enough, I can't actually find the definition. Maybe its not actually a real word, but in games its pretty consistently a big melee slash of some kind.
  • edited March 2015
    Wysrias said:

I wasn't referring to that fight this time, though I recall in that fight that no cure commands went in between the healing rite + tree use and then the absolve. At least from my perspective, it looked like everything else was still in place.

Then you missed me eating nightshade to cure lethargy and focusing to cure paranoia after healing rite ticked but before the absolve.  (The tree cured asthma, so I smoked linseed).
  • Ultrix said:

I have asked around but no one seems to know the answer to this:

What, exactly, is a person doing when he or she "reaves" another person (and does it "furiously")?

You are stealing their precious health!

That aside, here's the appropriate definition:

reave
    [reev]
    reaved or reft, reaving.  
    Archaic. to rend; break; tear.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• IniarIniar Australia
    edited March 2015
    I'd just like to point out here that tracking toxins vs tracking mentals are 2 different beasts. Toxins - count 1, 2, 3. Mentals - rely on black-voodoo RNG and hope your opponent isn't pissing themselves laughing. AMers should give it a whirl some day. See how you like it.

Reave is also usually used in conjunction with a term like apart/asunder, which is how the meaning is usually inferred.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Not going to argue. Tracking mentals is less straight forward. It is not some massively complex task, however. The point stands. Once you have invested the time to put a tracker together, affliction combat is not difficult.
  • So, I've been looking over logs a little from various teamfights, and one thing really stands out at me. It goes something like this:

I reave a person a bunch of times. They die to me and my team. I target someone new, and still have this massive momentum which I then immediately roll into lionstance with and nuke the poor unsuspecting person super quick.

This is a pretty big problem. Its out of line with everything similarish (kanai, taint, wardance overwhelm etc). Not sure of the best solution, but fixing that would help mitigate the "what the hell just happened" moments when you get targeted and instantly destroyed by a bunch of people already rolling at maximum capacity from the last kill.

• Just make reave build up per target? And maybe have it reset when switching targets and start over?
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited March 2015
    I'm sure everything will sort itself out.

I do have one complaint, @Garryn.

For Septus:

• I haven't checked the new numbers out yet for the latest knight tweak but.. I am a bit concerned that if you tweak around damage in general you'll have none artifacted people getting issues killing people. Me and Septus discussed something else that could perhaps work better in terms of balancing the real problem: (250 damage reave combos from knights with level 3 weapons and high str.) diminishing returns.

It was theorycrafting at its basics but something about each point of str adding the normal % of extra damage up to 15 str, each point beyond would add X % damage and beyond 18 str (Septus highfavor / tf / str artifact stacking of trolling) would only add a very small % into the damage. This would hopefully still allow the none artifacted knights to do the same damage and high-end damage would be somewhat "controlled". This was as mentioned just an example.

If you would, you could go a bit further and add diminishing returns but work in the max hp (for those weapons that's tweaked around that) / artifact damage / str into a mix were you'll start taking the returns after a certain "max" damage.

• edited March 2015
    Tbh, not a bad model for the high int stacking classes too: mage, summoner, etc.

Alternatively, consider a max +stat limit similar to regen capping.
  • I do believe there is already a max stat limit in effect. Somewhere I recall 21.. Since back in the days we had crazy modulation from change aspect. 

Should work for anything, but I think the diminishing returns should be based off of (I hate the off of but I think this is correct) the class though, so you don't nuke a class completely for having the same overall "returns" without looking at the class in general in terms of afflictions/bleed/bla bla. 
  • The high damage seems absurd. The idea of reave however is extremely cool. Meaning the momentum based tactic. I just felt as though I should point this out so that our garden can take pride in the well done work.

Sometimes we get caught up in crunching numbers and griping but I think it would be a safe assumption to say that I'm not alone when I say I'm impressed and thankful that the world, professions and coding is so dynamic and ever changing.

Thank you @Garryn @Jeremy @Svorai @everyoneElse. Would like to see knight damage tweaked but your work and enthusiasm reaffirms my decision to pay for iron elite and more
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited March 2015
    You quickdraw a shining longsword, a truesilver shield.
    You rub some mercury on a shining longsword.
    (Siath) shredded.
    The teeth along the weapon edge cut into Siath's flesh.
    A ghastly aura envelops Siath momentarily.
    (Siath) +haemophilia. (weaponmastery)
    You rub some hemotoxin on a shining longsword.
    (Siath) lacerated.
    The teeth along the weapon edge cut into Siath's flesh.
    (Siath) hemotoxin.
    Balance Taken: 2.74s

Never thought I'd say this, but DK is very good right now.
  • Longswords are exactly as good as I might have hoped, though I regret to say that Runeguards have the most potential with them despite DK enhances being designed around bleeding. Them's the breaks.
  • Aggressively clotting against longswords can make them much less effective; Septus can't effectively kill me with longswords because my clotting is aggressive enough that he can't really get haemophilia with any kind of reliability at all.

It basically goes like this:

Septus DSLs me and pushes me above my clotting threshold
    I clot the bleeding all away.
    Septus recovers balance and DSLs me again.
    I clot the bleeding all away again.

Longswords don't do enough damage to prevent me from keeping my mana up, so I can keep this up basically indefinitely since his ability to stop me from clotting is reliant on my not clotting. 

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• IniarIniar Australia
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I would probably not use longswords outside of teams because as Khizan puts it, a balanceless defense means one additional hinder/shield is enough to reset to 0. It did seem possible to cover haemophilia with Fast light speeds against no additional cures, but happy to stand corrected.
  • edited March 2015
    Longswords w/Teeth enhancement probably needs to be looked at it. I was jacked up to 80 bleeding against Antrax with him just doing shreds/lacerates. It's a bit excessive and I ran out of mana after only a few comboes.

http://pastebin.com/Y44rnK7L

That's just a snippet from what I was able to salvage on my buffer, but his bleeding was between 80-100 in most cases. It ramps up way too high with little effort involved.
  • edited March 2015
    That bleed damage is kinda the point. Anything less and no one would use it right? It's like dual pressure.

Although I'm curious, do artifact weapons have an impact on bleeding damage directly? Or is it just that bleeding is calculated off initial weapon damage done. Meaning does the 20% affect the bleed tick or just the weapon damage that gets calculated into the bleed tick

Edit: a few seconds of shield turtle would negate the pressure on your mana. Any less potency of longsword/teeth would make it laughable.
  • edited March 2015
    Claudius said:

That bleed damage is kinda the point. Anything less and no one would use it right? It's like dual pressure.

Although I'm curious, do artifact weapons have an impact on bleeding damage directly? Or is it just that bleeding is calculated off initial weapon damage done. Meaning does the 20% affect the bleed tick or just the weapon damage that gets calculated into the bleed tick

I'm fine with dual pressure, but if he's just doing the same thing over and over, it's more like I'm being bashed to death than any real effort being involved. A bleed strat is fine, but I'm blowing half of my mana just to hold him off after 2-3 of his comboes.

@Claudius: I was shielding. It wasn't slowing him down at all and turtling means I'm not hitting him either.
  • Fair enough
  • It doesn't really appear that you are clotting very smart to be honest. It shouldn't drain you that fast. It should be more a process/attrition.

Were you sipping mana over health?

You should also have bandages/moss tattoo working for you. And shard clot as a backup as well.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited March 2015
    Rahiel said:

it's more like I'm being bashed to death 

• edited March 2015
    Cassius said:

It doesn't really appear that you are clotting very smart to be honest. It shouldn't drain you that fast. It should be more a process/attrition.

Were you sipping mana over health?

You should also have bandages/moss tattoo working for you. And shard clot as a backup as well.

Yes. They were all active.

Edit: No, I was not sipping mana over health.

Also, some context is probably necessary. I was trying to cure hemophilia at that point, which is why there was a large clot burst. He can do three affs at once, with one of them being hemophilia if my bleeding is at a certain threshold. It takes one combo for him to reach that threshold.
  • Hey folks, been a while. I'm thinking of returning to my old RG. How are scimitars stacking up against the other weapon choices?
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    Out of curiosity, what is the fastest balance time a knight can achieve, and is it the same for all knights?
  • edited April 2015
    Mathiaus said:

Out of curiosity, what is the fastest balance time a knight can achieve, and is it the same for all knights?

If I remember correctly, ~2.14s with light sabre in fast and it's the same across all circles.  With sabre; however, you lose the enhancements.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Hey @Garryn... :3