Skip to content

Improving Imperian

Comments

• There's always the Issue button. A case could be made that Rings are a channel forced upon us due to Player Culture (i.e they are not opt-in anymore, you need to join one now). If this assumption is correct (it is, because we don't have a circle channel), then an issue to anybody spewing filth after you ask them to stop is a fair response. I know that is heavyhanded, but policing one's own society seemed to only work for so long.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • edited March 2015
    Agreed. Seems absolutely appropriate to issue people for refusing to move those types of conversations to appropriate channels, or for repeatedly polluting a common(circle-wide) ring with these sorts of conversations.

As a long term solution, I still think a Military Channel(or clan) and decoupling xp sharing from Ring would be the way to go. I was going to talk about how you might go about implementing some sort of military channel, but I think a majority of the implementation is already done properly with clans. So you just add some small things over the top of the existing clan system and I think you're good to go. Allow city leaders to specific a military clan that their novices, new citizens, existing citizens get automatically inducted into. Couple xp sharing with circle AND with this clan(so we aren't specifically excluding citiless people that are still a part of the circle(Juran)). Optionally, you could also set up a shortcut that spoke over the designated combat channel(WT for WarTell or MT for MilitaryTell(if that's not already used for MarketTell)). I think those seemingly simple things, along with a nudge from our admins to move from rings to mostly IC military clans, would be all that was necessary to get us away from using these big circle channels, and that'd be enough to return rings to being things you joined willingly instead of being mandatory for combat participation. The only potential confusion I see coming up would be over the IC or OOCness of this channel, and I think that just having a kind of loose "mostly IC, but things like exact numbers are okay" sort of rule would be suitable to keep things appropriate.
  • Slightly off the vein of the current conversation, but can we improve the game a bit by optimizing code or widening pipe, or whatever needs to be done, in order to fix the lag that seems to have become a common thing? I dunno if it's a result of new features or a lot more information being shuffled about but it's starting to become a problem.
  • Icarius said:

Slightly off the vein of the current conversation, but can we improve the game a bit by optimizing code or widening pipe, or whatever needs to be done, in order to fix the lag that seems to have become a common thing? I dunno if it's a result of new features or a lot more information being shuffled about but it's starting to become a problem.

We're been doing a lot of optimisations like that, yes. Is the lag occurring in any specific situation?

That said, if it's network lag, and not server lag, there isn't much that we can do about it.
  • Or.. deal with the problem.

Help 15.14 is pretty clear (OOC and game expectations)

Should the event occur again, ISSUE the individual.  I'm fairly certain Imperian would be uncomfortable allowing such behaviour should a customer complain on the matter.  RT is not a clan for the dumping of all manner of personal rubbish - its a functional necessity.  It can be OOC, but as soon as its offensive, that's issue-able.

Shrubbing is still a thing, I hear.
  • edited March 2015
    Garryn said:

Icarius said:

Slightly off the vein of the current conversation, but can we improve the game a bit by optimizing code or widening pipe, or whatever needs to be done, in order to fix the lag that seems to have become a common thing? I dunno if it's a result of new features or a lot more information being shuffled about but it's starting to become a problem.

We're been doing a lot of optimisations like that, yes. Is the lag occurring in any specific situation?

That said, if it's network lag, and not server lag, there isn't much that we can do about it.

I haven't pinned it down to any particular thing, but I've noticed it a couple of times especially around caravans and when there are more than six-eight people in the general area around a caravan.
  • edited March 2015
    Mana buffer (80% or 90% or something) for arena events to account for upkeep. It gets a bit silly and aggravating when people start spamming drink mana|challenge x|accept x while just barely missing the window of both being 100%.

E-  Was specifically thinking of spars. Events would need more thought, since it's a global teleport

• We have a 60s cooldown in use for self-harm, just look at the same timer and make sure you're over 80% on both health and mana. Done and done. Abusing arena entry is already something you can get issued for, the super rigid 100%/100% gate isn't actually necessary anyway.
  • 95/95 would stop the drain issue almost entirely while still being basically non-viable as a combat escape method.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• @Jeremy @Eoghan I don't remember, was there any support from admins on the prospect of removing owl and moving the increased xp effect to result from eating player-crafted food? It's a pretty fantastic idea.
  • Unified channel for each circle. Remove xp sharing from ring.  Thanks.
  • Dicene said:

@Jeremy @Eoghan I don't remember, was there any support from admins on the prospect of removing owl and moving the increased xp effect to result from eating player-crafted food? It's a pretty fantastic idea.

We haven't directly commented on it. It's a decision way above my paygrade, so I'm also not going to say anything about it!
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • I like the current ring system, and don't think that the system itself is a problem that needs to be changed. 
    - I find being able to talk oocly extremely helpful both with respect to Imperian (in discussing combat, coding, game mechanics, tracking things, etc.) as well having a way of casually getting to know the players (which is nice, especially as I came to Imperian not knowing anyone). 
    - I also like the XP sharing. It encourages hunting/caravaning together. 

I have noticed that there are some people in our circle that frequently drop in and out of our ring, presumably because they want to form a ring with someone else in the interim or because they are not interested in ooc chatter except when something is actively going on and they want to coordinate better. It doesn't appear to be a problem (at least for magic) in getting a ring invite when desired.

If you want to have a circle-only channel, it seems like that could be easily created by having a city leader form a clan for the circle, giving out clan induction privileges to a large group of people (if not everyone), and having a help file for newbies in the city help system letting them know that anyone can be admitted to the clan simply by asking (as well as invite newbies you see sticking around).

I have been following the issues with the demonic ring, but I just don't think that the solution is mechanical.

• Well, the solution's pretty simple. You just force people talking about questionable stuff into their own private clan, since clans have no inherent mechanical value, whereas rings function as the default circle communication/group bashing hubs.
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • The problem with rings is that 100% of pk coordination occurs in the ring. Every circle has a 'master ring' that everyone tags into and out of. It's the major form of communication for bashing, world events, and all pvp mechanics. If you choose not to join it, you may end up missing out on opportunities to play the game. It's usually just better to stay in the ring and space out/ignore some of the goofy crap people talk about.

No one cares about goofy crap. Crossing the line accidentally is ok. You apologize and you move on. It's really not that big of a deal. The biggest problem and #1 offender of our brand of moron is that they turn around and start shaming the people who are offended. Someone says they're not comfortable talking about X (who is?) and they are immediately attacked by 1-2 people and then you get the horde mentality where usually tolerable people lose their minds and it's an incredibly hostile environment.

Just look at the log: Mathiaus starts this reprehensible conversation and then also initiates the trolling
    Mathiaus then startis the "lol u offended" remarks.
    Adril,Raykel, Zenigra, Vega then all jump on the derp band wagon and start insulting someone because they're offended. 
    Raykel then spends the next 30 minutes quote 4chan triggered memes.

You can't avoid this @Zemvai. The last time this happened, Aleutia, Verexa, and Kanthari quit the ring because of the inappropriate conversation and the people carrying on the conversation took it to tells harassing them over quitting. It's a pretty stupid freaking problem to have and it would be a nice change of pace if we actually tried to enforce languagerules which says: We don't care what you talk about in tells with friends, but we do not want to see awful or offensive language on any public channels. Given the predisposition of these people to take it tells, it's a hop skip and a jump to harassment which states: Out-of-character harassment of people will not be tolerated. Furthermore,_any_ sexual harassment whatsoever is banned. And lastly, it's not too hard to follow: So, in summary, regardless of your real-life age, we expect you to act like mature adults. If you are not capable of doing so, then please go somewhere else.

Having been on the receiving end of the selective enforcement of these policies, I find it sort of amusing that we're still having the same problem, but to a greater degree than even my teenage dumbass could manage. Most of you know that I'm willing to shoot the sh*t about damn near anything, but usually in private so no one has to hear how retarded I can really be. It's common courtesy to just take the gutterspeak and overall dipshittery to a clan where you can be awful human beings and make life long friends, like @Selthis, @Bathan, and sometimes @khizan. #CG4LIEF

• edited March 2015
    Could we move Absorb to a significantly lower point in Shielddance? Having it up in Mythical is like putting Putrefaction or Stoneskin at Mythical.

This won't affect tri-trans wardancers at all, but it will give lowbies some resists aside from scalemail and a buckler.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• edited March 2015
    @Garryn I was really hoping you'd put weapon properties(like Sharp, Light) in WEAPONLIST as well, so I didn't have to manually probe each one when carrying multiple weapons of the same variety. (Would also make buying weapons from a store significantly easier.
  • I'm not sure if you guys are considering this at all at the moment, but I would kill for left/right wielded item in gmcp.

• You have regained right arm balance.
    H:486/606 M:419/449 B:1 <e- -p> <db> D:0 F:0 K:0
    You have recovered balance on your legs.
    H:486/606 M:419/449 B:1 <e- -p> <db> D:0 F:0 K:0
    You have regained left arm balance.

It would be so nice if that kind of thing would terminate with a "real" "You have recovered balance" message that would fit with standard balance tracking things.

• Septus said:

I'm not sure if you guys are considering this at all at the moment, but I would kill for left/right wielded item in gmcp.

I thought they had said that it might be going in.
  • They also removed vivisect.

Implemented the actual demon calm classlead

Removed passive pet attacks

Removed thornspray

Balanced claymores.
  • Ahkan said:

They also removed vivisect.

Implemented the actual demon calm classlead

Removed passive pet attacks

Removed thornspray

Balanced claymores.
    I was referring to discussion here that has not been implemented yet: http://forums.imperian.com/discussion/560/gmcp-afflictions#latest
  • edited March 2015
    The way demoncalm has been explained to me, if it was too much within the context of AM's skills, that's great, but why didn't they just remove it completely?  My understanding of it is that it lasts about as long as the balance/EQ it takes (forget which) to do it, so I don't understand why it wasn't just removed.  If that's not the case I guess it could be "situationally" useful?  EDIT:  Or, I guess in some situations it could be worth it to have someone do nothing but demoncalm?  I kind of doubt it and it doesn't sound like much fun, but um, I include it for thoroughness?
  • Jules said:

The way demoncalm has been explained to me, if it was too much within the context of AM's skills, that's great, but why didn't they just remove it completely?  My understanding of it is that it lasts about as long as the balance/EQ it takes (forget which) to do it, so I don't understand why it wasn't just removed.  If that's not the case I guess it could be "situationally" useful?  EDIT:  Or, I guess in some situations it could be worth it to have someone do nothing but demoncalm?  I kind of doubt it and it doesn't sound like much fun, but um, I include it for thoroughness?

Immunity from ranged attacks doesn't sound worthless.
  • edited March 2015
    I'm trying to envision what it would look like.  If you mean that just the demon(s) are in the room, and I'm not actively engaged with enemy players, I'm just going to try to kill the demon.  Otherwise, I'd be doing nothing but calm the demon(s) (and really, I could probably only keep one calmed at a time from the sound of it), then our enemies roll in and they still have all their demons ready to go... It seems like a really dumb thing for me to do.  Like I said, if the ability was too powerful, that's fine, but if it's been neutered to the point it's not very useful, why wasn't it just removed?  

EDIT:  for sake of clarity, reason being, if you leave "dead" abilities in a class, it tends to make the class look more healthy than it actually is (not that Templar is suffering overall right now, at all, by anyone's estimation, but powerful classes apparently can and do get put "in the toilet" as an overcompensation for them being too powerful to begin with, and then it can be a long road back to somewhere reasonable).  Down the road, if the Templar class managed to end up "in the toilet", part of the uphill battle would likely be "but you have demoncalm" (and we'd probably spend a long time going in circles over that alone).  In short, I'm not arguing whether or not demoncalm needed changing (it sounds like people agreed it did) and I can't speak to the intricacies of mechanics, but I know how people tend to argue about things, and leaving dead end abilities hanging around (rather than neatly deleting them) seems bad.  
  • Septus said:

I'm not sure if you guys are considering this at all at the moment, but I would kill for left/right wielded item in gmcp.

This is done and will show up later today in the prompt (Char.Vitals) as leftwield and rightwield.

• IniarIniar Australia
    Error:

Greying nimbostratus billows outwards throughout the heavens with a slow crawl, concealing the most distant of stars.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • IniarIniar Australia
    I'd like to petition for diadems to be made cheaper. Would administration consider 750 credits?
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • A nice little feature for QUEUE would be the possibility to add more than one thing at a time. It'd make things like deffing a lot easier since you wouldn't need to make anything other than one alias sending all the queue commands. And I don't think it'd create any weird side effects for combat, without thinking too much about it. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

So if I did:
    QUEUE EQBAL deathsight
    QUEUE EQBAL touch cloak

I would first send deathsight on balance/eq regain and then the next one I'd send is touch cloak.

Since you can reset the queue at will, it should work out fine if you happen to send too much into the queue. And if you add this, I'd like a nice list of the whole queue. Something like QUEUE LIST or whatever.
  • edited March 2015

I've been playing Wardancer a lot lately and I've got a few problems with how the class handles for lowbies. I'd like to stress that none of my problems apply to tri-trans Wardancers, except the artifact shield thing which applies to non-artifact WD. My problems stem from the way that the lowbie experience is impacted by hav

1. Shield Absorb is at Mythical Shielddance and WD get no tanking skills other than this. This is like making putting Stoneskin at the end of Crystalbinding. This should be moved to maybe the Adept Shielddance skill level

2. The bashing combo is spread out over THREE skillsets. Three. Batter is at expert shielddance, Doubletime is TRANSCENDENT Wardance, and Bloodthirst is at Virtuoso Bladedance. However, you don't get a tanking ability until Mythical shielddance, so you're damn near Virt/Trans/Trans before you can bash properly. 

3. ATTACK is not guaranteed to give the best attack; newbies are using kickflip without doubledance for a substantial slowdown.

4. The "Which shield is the best?" question is a miserable one because the level of protection granted by the low level shields is negligible at best and so the main concern is speed and damage. It would be SO much nicer if we could just normalize shields into a light category of buckler/cavalry/banded and a heavy category of kite/tower and avoid the entire "Should I bash with a buckler? Cavalry? Banded?" issue and the minmaxing alongside your sword and just say "use a heavy shield" or "use a light one". 

5. Starting with the sabre proficiency is sort of godawful. Broadsword or bust, imo, but even the longsword would be a better choice.

6. Bloodthirst really feels out of place. It's an "All your sword skills are garbage up until this point" thing that I honestly think should be moved much lower in the skillset. Shielddance isn't affected by Bloodthirst so low-skill WD's can use shield hack right out of the gates, so Bloodthirst moving much lower wouldn't to affect low level combat much.

7. Please make Kickflip unaffected by Doubletime, but give it the baseline speed of Kickflip with Doubletime. This would make it useful before Trans Wardance; right now it is a 14 damage kick on a 3.8s balance for the newbie WD I was working with today and it lowers his DPS dramatically.

8. I would like it if Batter could be moved lower in the skillset. It is the best bashing skill the Wardancers have, but it is at Expert Shielddance and I think that the class would feel a lot better if new Wardancers could focus on Bladedance and then Wardance, because that's where all the PvP damage and fun is.

9. The artifact shield is an absolute requirement for a WD because it manages to provide a reasonable level of protection and do decent damage while also being fast enough so as not to be complete and utter garbage. It's rather like you have a choice between sabres, broadswords, and a special artifact-only weapon that's got sabre speed and broadsword damage. Shielddance is basically balanced around the artifact shield because it's so good that anybody who wants to use the class seriously needs one.

It would be very nice if the shield progression approached the artifact shields somewhere instead of having it be a choice between speed, damage, or paying 250 credits not to suck.

10. "You jump, flipping head over heels backward, striking Tahm with a hard kick." This looks sort of stupid to be repeating over and over, it would be great if I wasn't backflipping endlessly through my bash combos, I am starting to get dizzy. :(