Skip to content

Artifact Changes

Comments

• The silvery crest that blocks Telepathy is sort of ridiculous. 

I can understand it from range, because Telepathy is the most powerful and flexible ranged offense in the game. I think it's a stupid way of handling the problem and I would shed no tears if it was deleted entirely, but I can understand it. 

The part that really bugs the snot out of me is that it blocks Telepathy attacks when they're in your room and hitting you. There's no reason or need for a flat failure chance on in-room attacks. Can it please be changed to not do that crap?

Failing that, I'd like the ability to buy silvery shin guards that have a chance to nullify root attacks. 

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Kabaal said:

The band of fasting has to be the silliest arti, though. Have you ever sold one?
    This is something that has been brought up before. The artifact is pointless.  What needs to be done is to lower the cost and make hunger a thing forever, but make the hunger change much slower as you level. Aspects would still get hungry but at a slower rate. Make hunger state persist through death, since death is meaningless. Or even make death make you ravenous. 

This has the side benefit of making cooking somewhat more worthwhile. 
  • I think there's room to either lower the cost of Stone Rings or decouple their unstrippable mass functionality from their "only way for most classes to toggle mass so they can actually make use of dash without leaving it off significant portions of time" functionality. As-is, I don't expect you'll see many people invest in dash anklets just because (presumably) most people are unwilling to leave mass off all the time until combat starts, and the Stone Rings are really too pricey for what they are.
  • I don't think that dash needs to be made easier to use because dash bypasses the rooms/second rule and is ridiculously stupidly fast as a result. That movespeed should come with a sacrifice.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Selthis said:

Kabaal said:

The band of fasting has to be the silliest arti, though. Have you ever sold one?
    This is something that has been brought up before. The artifact is pointless.  What needs to be done is to lower the cost and make hunger a thing forever, but make the hunger change much slower as you level. Aspects would still get hungry but at a slower rate. Make hunger state persist through death, since death is meaningless. Or even make death make you ravenous. 

This has the side benefit of making cooking somewhat more worthwhile. 
    Hunger attacks used to be a much more viable way of killing someone, so this artifact used to make a lot more sense. You are correct that it is pointless now. I have just been too lazy to remove it more then anything.

• Khizan said:

I don't think that dash needs to be made easier to use because dash bypasses the rooms/second rule and is ridiculously stupidly fast as a result. That movespeed should come with a sacrifice.

I was considering putting it into the moves per second rule and adding it to speedwalking.

I was also considering removing the mass blocking. 

Removing the mass block would make it too powerful, but what do you think of the speedwalking?

• Khizan said:

The silvery crest that blocks Telepathy is sort of ridiculous. 

We did consider removing this actually and decided not to at this point.

• Jeremy said:

Khizan said:

I was considering putting it into the moves per second rule and adding it to speedwalking.

I was also considering removing the mass blocking. 

Removing the mass block would make it too powerful, but what do you think of the speedwalking?
    No mass penalty, make it do the out of breath damage you get from mass on/pacing on/following a dasher if you dash more than once within X amount of time? Would make it more of an occasional burst of speed and less Sonic mode unless you want to death yourself.
  • edited February 2015
    Yay don't add in new hunger. I hate hunger as a mechanic. It's just... obnoxious and adds absolutely -nothing- to the game. 

Adding dash to the speedwalker should happen, I like Kabaal's balance suggestion. Running that much should be exhausting. Running that fast for too long a sustained period should break you. Running at hyperspeed for short bursts, though, seems fair and reasonable. 

Edit - And for a way to make cooking worthwhile is also bad, because we'll still just have people mass buying pellets/overly satiating candy and not really the interesting stuff cooks want to make. 
  • edited February 2015
    The major concern with removing the mass requirement is that it allows a much easier, balanceless, fairly common way to bypass rubble effects in-room, which is a net loss to holding skills.

We (mostly I) don't particularly like the idea of just making dash stop at (and not be able to instantly dash through) rubble, either, though.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • Make it take balance if you go over rubble and have mass up, then? And/or maybe increased pain on the next dash after rubble-ish things?
  • edited February 2015
    Krysaliss said:

Edit - And for a way to make cooking worthwhile is also bad, because we'll still just have people mass buying pellets/overly satiating candy and not really the interesting stuff cooks want to make. 
    Yeah I still have ~7k pellets from before hunger was removed. I have cooking and I love having it as part of the tradeskills but hunger can't really be justified on the grounds boosting the value of the tradeskill.

• IniarIniar Australia
    I think reintroducing hunger could work - but as Selthis says, a really slow tick. The irritating thing about hunger was the uncon + damage + etc. If you change the maximal hunger effect to say, 'negates all regeneration', this could work out reasonably well: some minimak detriment, but easy enough to counter that it isn't going to slow/stall/make combat-hunger super irritating.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Not all things are about combat, though. And hunger isn't just a combat thing. It's just an irritating maintenance mechanic. At least sleepiness has the good grace to come with dreams.
  • IMO, Owl should be nixxed and food and drink should provide separate, non-stacking (so one for food, one for drink) EXP bonuses with varying durations (for quality and pricing) and effects (like more PK exp for one type but lowered other types, or a bigger Exp bonus in exchange for some small malus as just examples). Makes it not really impact combat directly like +stat or +regen or other incarnations, you don't have to worry about it except when you're actively doing crap but it's also not the end of the world if you don't, and there's room to play around with things and make it interesting.
  • Kabaal said:

IMO, Owl should be nixxed and food and drink should provide separate, non-stacking (so one for food, one for drink) EXP bonuses with varying durations (for quality and pricing) and effects (like more PK exp for one type but lowered other types, or a bigger Exp bonus in exchange for some small malus as just examples). Makes it not really impact combat directly like +stat or +regen or other incarnations, you don't have to worry about it except when you're actively doing crap but it's also not the end of the world if you don't, and there's room to play around with things and make it interesting.

I like the idea of moving the exp bonus from owl into some other mechanism(s) (whether it be food, I don't know, but it is an idea). Newbies are one tattoo slot short to begin with and I hate having to spend a slot on them for the owl.
  • You can build all your food buffs that you want. As long as I can eat horse pellets out of the trough with Babou, I'm going to. Instill your crazy hunger system to sell an artifact. I don't care. Pellets are cheap and so am I.

You're going to need to remove those low hanging fruit for me to pick up satiation off of.
    You're going to need to go in and re-examine starvation mechanics because the classes aren't balanced with those damage sources in mind with hunger ticks.

Deleting owl would be awesome. 'Good food' (good descriptions) should be rewarded with buff effects. There should be a reason for me to buy your tasty confections outside of the fact I pissed Kanthari off and I'm trying to dig my way out of the doghouse for not paying my taxes for 15 years.
  • Ahkan said:

You can build all your food buffs that you want. As long as I can eat horse pellets out of the trough with Babou, I'm going to. Instill your crazy hunger system to sell an artifact. I don't care. Pellets are cheap and so am I.

This also works with RL hunger attacks at the barn.  I prefer those fancy peppermint flavored pellets though.  
  • Why does artifact armor still scale up in price as much as it does? Or at all?
  • edited February 2015
    Whip of taming... I wonder how many of these has been sold in any IRE game over the years. Doesn't even tell its stats and since peace/pacify runs on a CD its not even effective. Put it down to 100 cr and let it double the speed of taming pets?

Horn of terror - Should be lowered down to 100 cr

Staff of illusion seems a bit to expensive since the autocuring system / new affliction system made it more or less pointless to waste EQ on in combat. But I am sure some people would pay 150-200 cr for an awesome tool to RP with??

• Siath said:

Whip of taming... I wonder how many of these has been sold in any IRE game over the years. Doesn't even tell its stats and since peace/pacify runs on a CD its not even effective. Put it down to 100 cr and let it double the speed of taming pets?

There's already an assembly item that helps you befriend faster, and an auction item to remove training cooldown entirely.
  • Could I please get an "on entering area only" setting for the Forboding Stone to help reduce the spam without having to deal with micromanaging enemy lists?

• Khizan said:

Could I please get an "on entering area only" setting for the Forboding Stone to help reduce the spam without having to deal with micromanaging enemy lists?

I idea'd that so long ago. Basically just give it enter/exit messages like phantom/lamia.
  • X of proficiency - Master in all weapon proficiencies. 2 tokens or something like that.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Kabaal said:

IMO, Owl should be nixxed and food and drink should provide separate, non-stacking (so one for food, one for drink) EXP bonuses with varying durations (for quality and pricing) and effects (like more PK exp for one type but lowered other types, or a bigger Exp bonus in exchange for some small malus as just examples). Makes it not really impact combat directly like +stat or +regen or other incarnations, you don't have to worry about it except when you're actively doing crap but it's also not the end of the world if you don't, and there's room to play around with things and make it interesting.

I like this idea. Make all those delicious descriptions worth buying+ and freeing up one tattoo slot. Would do wonders for all the food designs sitting around getting stale.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • VerexaVerexa Canada
    edited April 2015
    @Jeremy - any new movement on this? I am still holding out for a change on the telescope, credits in hand.

Also, I think the wings are a bit devalued now with pathfinding and atlas travel.
  • edited April 2015

Something needs to happen to wings to make them more valuable. The improvements to pathfinding are amazing. Atlas travel is amazing. But the wings are seriously overpriced for what they are nowadays.

I don't necessarily regret buying my custom wings. I do regret my exit choice and wish every day I could change it to be slightly more useful.

Maybe make wings 400 credits base, no exits. Each exit from the cloud room is 50 credits or something. Make it all automated so there's no divine intervention needed. Just let me change my exits please. :(

• If anything wings should at least hold the ring of flight properties :(

Because.. paying 800 credits for wings and realize that people with rings are like double your speed with FLY makes it sad times.
  • edited April 2015
    I'd like to see a change with the anti-web amulet/boots.  Back when web was the one of like 4 entangle moves and it was a common place strategy it was useful.  Now with torch tattoo, race anti-web skills, and pretty much every profession having some sort of entangle, it's pretty much become obsolete.  
  • edited April 2015
    Is there any chance we could get artifact armour prices looked at now that normal armour stats have been standardized?  Now it's really just for convenience and if you would like to customize it.  (I like customizing my armour.)

For example:

- A suit of non-decaying chainmail armour with the following stats:
         Cutting: 65
         Blunt:   55

It offers the following defences:
    Physical cutting:        55%
    Physical blunt:          55%

700 credits for 10% more cutting resistance, non-decay, and the ability to make a custom appearance which I have to pay extra for doesn't really seem worth it to me.