Skip to content

Renegade Ranged Combat

Hi! I've been playing some RP MUDs for a while and Imperian really hit the spot. I've got a nice renegade character going for me, and I was wanting to look into ranged combat ( more of a marksmen person myself ). Any tips or tricks on how to help excell in the field of archery as a Renegade? Anything would help quite a bit!

Comments

• Ranged combat is effectively worthless for anything but bothering the enemy, as a Renegade - unless you want to sit back and shoot nets for your team in shardfalls, but aware individuals will walk in and trample you if that is the case.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • If you join the Saboteurs I could teach you a lot about ranged combat.
  • Archery as a primary combat method is non-existent. It just WILL NOT WORK against anybody who's even remotely competent. That's just how it is.

This is intentional. Wardens used Bowmanship as a primary combat method for a while, and it was horrible. The game is balanced around same-room combat, and adding classes that rely on ranged combat just breaks everything.

There is nothing Iluv can teach you about ranged renegade combat that doesn't come under the heading of "Teamfights" or "Gimmicks that will only kill terrible people", because those are the only two options. And under "teamfights", it mostly comes down to "spam disables from range and hope they don't swarm you".

Ranged combat is an attractive idea because it's combat without the risk of actually getting hit by people in the room. It's also largely toothless for the same reason.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• I appreciate the input, I really wish there was some kind of lethality to it at least but beggars can't be choosers! I still plan on trying to at least attempt some form of support with bows ( if it proves useful enough, thank you arena! ).

Although, I had heard of a few interesting things with wormsniping. Not for one on one of course, but in general how would one put it to use the best it can be? Archery will likely be a screw-around ability while I work out kinks and learn how to fight with doublestab and hypnosis.

To Iluv: Sorry, I appreciate the offer but I don't think my character would fit well in Stavenn! Nice try though, but thanks : )
  • edited December 2012
    Well, assuming you can get a decent number of archers there is a tactic in aetolia or achaea called hypno sniping. But it'd take some testing for setup, and likely no less than five people with bows. Which brings me to point number whatever, not sure about the renegades, but I'm willing to bet you'll be hard pressed to find five archers period, much less who are around consistently and actually want to do what you want to do. As @Khizan said, ranged combat is restricted for a reason, and if you get to the point where you are able to pull off the above tactic, expect it to be nerfed rather quickly, since it likely won't be fun for anyone who gets hit by it.

• Khizan said:

This is intentional. Wardens used Bowmanship as a primary combat method for a while, and it was horrible. The game is balanced around same-room combat, and adding classes that rely on ranged combat just breaks everything.

Would be cool if you could use bowmanship abilities in-room with a quick enough balance for it to be combat effective, while ranged attacks take a longer balance (factor in aiming and whatnot.)
  • They have that. It is called shortshot and it is a Bowmanship class feature.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>

• Iluv said:
    If you join the Saboteurs I could teach you a lot about ranged combat.
    Iluv's response to everything is "If you join the Saboteurs...."