Skip to content

Considering Designs

edited September 2014 in General Discussion
I'm writing this post because I'm having an issue with a design.. sort of. Keep in mind that this isn't really a post to complain, only to bring up a few points I'd really enjoy feedback and ideas on.

First off, I'm more used to Lusternia's design setup. It's a lot more rigid when it comes to the types of designs as well as the cost, but it's slightly more flexible when it comes to commodities. For instance in Lusternia you might add a specific commodity  to give your designed item a slight glow, or another item to add a scent, and so on. As design approvers here designate what they feel is acceptable for a commodity list, it keeps me from adding extra comms to justify it being slightly different. Not magical, mind you, but perhaps having an aroma or a specific characteristic otherwise not found.

Something else I've ran into is that commodities have a certain colour, or they're supposed to. I designed a rosary with "dark crystehl beads" attached to it, and it was rejected due to "crystehl being blue, and not dark". Upon probing, it seems that crystehl "shimmers with all the colours of the rainbow". Are design approval members normally so picky about such things? Is there a help file explaining the characteristics of the abnormal comms (Sinn, Isan and so on) found here, and what they can and can't be used for?
Septus says, "Not Ashani!"

Comments

• This is a problem I come against every so often. Within the crafting guild, there really doesn't seem to be a lot of continuity in what should or shouldn't be. Between new approvers and biased approvers, I feel like I've (at times) spent more time arguing the right to make something than I did making it, particularly with the seeming lack of approvers. As for picky, it really, honestly, depends on the approver and the day. Sometimes I get something glorious and hilarious through. Sometimes I run into so many walls with something that I think are absolutely inane rejections, I just give up all together on an item and make something else. Some time ago, it was decided that approvers should relax standards more and certain restrictions were removed (light qualifiers, 'when donned/when worn' qualifier, etc.) and the world rejoiced - that may be the lesser rigidity you're seeing.

Also: anything well-designed in Imperian can cost a ridiculous amount to make due to the broken commodity system/broken trade system.

(I'm only a little bitter, promise.)
  • There is a design tip list system that has some information on commodities and decisions as to what is allowed or not allowed. You can access it using DESIGN TIP LIST. 

The crafting approval system has varied pretty widely in how rigid the rules are over the years. Some of the "real" rule still aren't written down, while a lot of the pre-relaxation rules that are defunct are still listed publicly as valid. I have definitely found that on occasion I will get a rejection based on something pulled totally out of thin air. When that happens you can comment on a design seeking clarity or requesting that the design be "escalated" to be brought to Alend's attention. You can also message Alend directly.
  • Can there be a help file or some guidance articulated regarding how much "intended use" description you are permitted with designs? Like, I've seen designs get rejected on the grounds that "the item might be used for some other purpose" but honestly, if the intended use is described in the examined description, presuambly the buyer is buying the item for that intended purpose.