Skip to content

October Update

The next major release is the commodity system. It is currently being tested for release.

The highlights include:
- The existing caravan system will be scrapped, as it's not really interesting for anyone.
- Towne production mechanics will be simplified
- The refining process is reworked and greatly improved
- New source of commodities and other items - NPC caravans for you to assault and plunder
- Changes to guards to hopefully make them a bit more interesting
- New conflict system - nothing as big as the shard system, but hopefully one that you'll enjoy (or at least tolerate!)
- Various commodity costs will be adjusted
- A new shard skill or two
- Some other things that I don't really want to get into - wait and see!

The next major release after commodities will be the shrine and relic system. I am not going to review that here as there are numerous other posts on it. What is new, is that Dec is now helping with it, so it should move faster.

Behaviours are out. The ones for this month will not be available again for a while. We are working on some new ones that will be available next month (I think).

The Halloween event is coming. 

Another major event is in planning.

Comments

• IniarIniar Australia
    I can't imagine how you would achieve this:

Changes to guards to hopefully make them a bit more interesting

Good luck!
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Add class defenses to autocuring for newbs like me who would rather pluck my own eyes out and QQ forever than attempt to code that %$@#$^? :)
  • All you really need is a few aliases to put up your defences.

• @Tatum

1) Ask your guild for the list of defenses
    2) Write them down
    3) Setalias def1 <insert defense>
    4) Repeat for each alias

That's what I did. I have def1 through def10 for all the cleric defenses like thermalshield, bliss, and even seraph summon and summon mace
  • Iniar said:

Good luck!

Like real (video game) guards, they're going to hang out in the bars, get drunk and beat the snot out of each other. And sometimes players.
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania

Calais said:
    Iniar said:

Good luck!

Like real (video game) guards, they're going to hang out in the bars, get drunk and beat the snot out of each other. And sometimes players.
    Or complain about how they used to be fighters like us till they got an arrow in the knee.
  • Wait, who was a fighter?
  • It's probably a faux pas to ask, but have new entities been selected already?
  • I'd just like to say that I'm extremely disappointed with the workmanship that's gone into the behavior promotion. The behaviors have been so riddled with typos that I honestly can't figure out how they could have gotten through testing, and the only conclusion I can come to is that nobody bothered to check them at all. It comes off as really incredibly sloppy. 

I'm not talking about Lionas-esque "this use of who should be a whom" typos, either. These are "You slash him with your a sabre" and words that are just missing outright. It makes an interesting feature that people have wanted look like nothing more than a half-assed cash grab because this stuff should be utterly trivial to get right.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Due to the sheer amount, I'm sure they just inserted weapon variables similar to emotes, and some people who worked on them likely forgot that most weapons start with 'A/AN something or another weapon of doom'. Harmless mistake, though I see where it can annoy some, especially with all the heated debate over how they are obtained.

• IniarIniar Australia
    ANNOUNCE NEWS #2859
    Date: 10/21/2014 at 19:18
    To  : Everyone
    Subj: Commodity system updates

The commodity system has seen a big series of changes today, including:

- Caravans are gone. You now simply BUY the materials, then SELL them at the refinery. They are riftable, too, although they have no other use.

- Refining has been reworked entirely - instead of the refineries working autonomously, there is now a REFINE <x> <commodity> to convert materials into commodities

- Stealing from towne commshops remains an option using PLUNDER <x> <material> - you will want to set up some guards to prevent this

- A series of quests is available that lets you improve the production of your towne for one Imperial year - these are mainly meant for newer players as a way to get involved with cities and townes, but obviously anyone can do them

- Refining material requirements have all been reworked; most notably, one material no longer yields multiple commodities; REFINE CHECK <commodity> displays the costs (if you have the Trade power). Overall, the amount of produced commodities will be significantly smaller than before.

- Towne material production formulas have been altered - most notably, the desirability factor is largely gone; it only reduces production of the desirability is very low due to frequent plundering or low material cost

- Towne material production speed has been reduced across the board, with the caravans being intended as the source of the difference

- HELP TOWNE PRODUCTION and HELP COMMODITIES have more info on the above changes

- Several trading posts have sprung up across the world - these are owned by the Horde, and are used to dispatch caravans between the posts

- Caravans can be plundered (PLUNDER CARAVAN) - but first you need to kill off the guards protecting it

- Caravans are transporting materials, gold, and a new item - pieces of glowing quartz

- Caravans also have a small chance to contain a random soulstone

- Two new shard trees are now available - both of them require the glowing quartz pieces, as well as significant amounts of commodities

- The commodity costs are mostly meant to clear out some of the huge stockpiles of commodities

- The pieces of glowing quartz are also used in the construction of so-called Beacons, which are intended as a conflict source of sorts - researching the Beacons shard tree will give you the specifics on these

- The steel commodity has been discontinued - it is no longer produced or required anywhere, and you can convert the remaining stocks into stehl at a 50:1 ratio (REFINE <x> STEHL)

- Lustration (Devotion) and Isa (Runelore) now require platinum instead of stehl

- Evoke bone (Necromancy) now requires 2 bone commodities to produce one necromantic bone; bones are no longer evoked from mob corpses

- Engineering item commodity costs have been changed

- Rozri now gives +20% material production speed, as well as faster refining balance

- The 75cr caravan crop artifact now makes the 'plunder caravan' command faster

- The token saddlebags are now discontinued, and the tokens refunded

- INFO RIFT output has been altered a bit

As with any big change, there will undoubtedly be bugs - please report any issues you find in the usual way. The production numbers may need further tweaks, we'll handle these as needed.

Garryn
    Thanks, Garryn. Will be sending feedback.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    That commodity cannot be refined.
    Refining one unit of wood requires 2 lumber. It costs 60 gold.
    Refining one unit of iron requires 1 ore. It costs 50 gold.
    Refining one unit of leather requires 2 livestock. It costs 10 gold.
    Refining one unit of coal requires 1 lumber and 1 rock. It costs 90 gold.
    Refining one unit of obsidian requires 4 rock. It costs 240 gold.
    Refining one unit of cloth requires 2 crop. It costs 10 gold.
    Refining one unit of gold requires 1 ore. It costs 50 gold.
    Refining one unit of rope requires 2 crop. It costs 10 gold.
    Refining one unit of ice requires 1 water. It costs 40 gold.
    Refining one unit of silver requires 1 ore. It costs 50 gold.
    Refining one unit of platinum requires 2 ore. It costs 100 gold.
    Refining one unit of ruby requires 6 rock. It costs 360 gold.
    Refining one unit of diamond requires 6 rock. It costs 360 gold.
    Refining one unit of emerald requires 6 rock. It costs 360 gold.
    Refining one unit of sapphire requires 6 rock. It costs 360 gold.
    Refining one unit of stone requires 2 rock. It costs 120 gold.
    Refining one unit of gemstone requires 6 rock. It costs 360 gold.
    Refining one unit of sinn requires 1 ore. It costs 50 gold.
    Refining one unit of cuhpfehr requires 1 coal and 1 ore. It costs 60 gold.
    Refining one unit of isan requires 1 ore. It costs 50 gold.
    Refining one unit of bone requires 2 livestock. It costs 10 gold.
    Refining one unit of glass requires 4 rock. It costs 240 gold.
    Refining one unit of fruitliqueur requires 1 fruit and 1 water. It costs 45 gold.
    Refining one unit of herballiqueur requires 1 grain and 1 water. It costs 45 gold.
    Refining one unit of flavouredliqueur requires 1 vegetable and 1 water. It costs 45 gold.

• Jeremy said:
    The Halloween event is coming. 
    Would it be possible to get more details about the halloween event, such as when it will start, so that people can plan and not miss it?