Skip to content

New Boss Wishlist

Yet another wishlist thread. Is there a boss type you've been itching to tear apart with your bashing attack? Is there a particular gimmick you'd like to see in a future boss? List them here.

Since we've been channeling a lot of mythological creatures lately, I'd love to see a Sphinx that asks you a randomized riddle at set intervals during its fight. If you answer incorrectly, it eats you.

Comments

• New ideas would be cool.

• MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    Triden, king of the nagiri.

Zap, kills you with trident, bam!

Oh no, you attacked him before taking out his queen? Royal stabby stab, and your guts are every where!

Batter the trident, break it, attack the bastard, and he fixes his trident with the powers of the sea. Get that mutha #+?&in trident!

Or maybe just make the hatching harder. Who knows.
  • A qurupeco-esuqe boss. For those not familiar with Monster Hunter, the qurupeco is a pretty easy thing to beat on its own. The thing is, qurupecos don't really like being alone. They have a pretty great knack for copying the hunting/mating cries of other monsters, which fools them in to stumbling in and becoming aggressive with the qurupeco's assailant. What I'd really be looking for is a mob who calls for help at set intervals, a huge army comes in to help them, and then they retreat until the wave is cleared.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • IniarIniar Australia
    You just described Imperian PK :D
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • IniarIniar Australia
    An element sensitive/resistant boss that requires intelligent swapping - oh wait, guess Shou will own that boss alone.
  • You act as if I'm the master of killing things:( I still have no idea how Risca managed to almost kill Nakshatra by himself, that thing is a beast.
  • Yeah, well, so is Risca.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• edited August 2014
    I like this thread, let's revive it a bit.

We're working on some bosses for future events and areas, and I have a lot of the boss strategies themselves planned out, but my list of already planned bosses is dwindling. What new boss fight ideas do you have? These can be entirely new mechanics - all bosses require new code, so there's no reason to limit your imagination to things we already do.

If you want to keep your ideas secret, or think they're too complex to go into here, feel free to drop me a message here or in game, or email us at coders <at> imperian <dot> com.

I'm also particularly interested in ideas about spawning mechanics. What actions should be required for the bosses to be present? Right now, we have three basic types of boss spawns:
    • Bosses that reset after some period of time, but are generally always available (like the bosses from the fourth age event)
    • Bosses that require an item from the final spawnwave (and maybe some easy quest) - This is things like strigoi (purified moroi hearts) and wraith lords (wearing those drops)
    • Bosses that are themselves the final spawnwave (the underworld bosses)
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • How about some that have a periodic random spawn (maybe once per year) within a random city or just outside one. They could maybe unleash occasional horde waves in te selected city until it was fought.
  • How about a spawnwave of just bosses. You clear one just to get a meaner badder boss who wants to eat you alive, or tear the flesh off your bones. I'll add that to @Eoghan's idea of just a massive boss area.

Sounds like a good plan, if you ask me!
  • Maybe the Legion could possess or corrupt or whatever a random NPC that isn't in a city/council

And that NPC will shout about destroying stuff and will unleash stuff in the area

something like that could require cross circle cooperation or just a city/council taking care of it

• I would like my idea from the Underworld Feedback thread, re: spawning mechanics of bosses. I was going to make a thread about that idea though...
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • I'd like to see an ettin boss at some point, who would require a 'two heads are better than one' approach. That is, it would require (at least) two characters to defeat the creature, effectively splitting its attention. If a person enters alone, both heads are focused on that person and it attacks twice as quickly and as powerfully, making short work of even the most artifacted.

There could also be a boss who recruits players to fight for it, and is therefore not traditionally kill-able. A player would take on a quest for the boss, and if successful, the boss could make that player their champion. If a player would like to defeat the boss, they would need to ring a bell nearby, summoning any online players who'd become the boss's champion. Defeat the champion(s), and the boss forfeits its life to the victor. If the champion(s) win, they get some sort of vanity token or something to brag about. This would be difficult to implement fairly, but I still wanted to pitch the idea.

• A genie or other type of wish-granting boss with magickal attacks. If you defeat it, instead of dropping an arti and a corpse, it will retreat into whatever vessel it's linked to, after granting the defeating character one wish. 'Wealth' would grant an increased gold drop rate for a fixed period of time, 'Power' would grant an increased crit rate for the same, and 'Beauty/Fame' would grant a one-time, permanent vanity item of some sort. 

• IniarIniar Australia
    #1 how similar is that to the hydra? I don't know if anyone could solo it.

#2 Great idea, maybe that would be in lieu of the current Champion system instead.

#3 Great idea, but I would make the Beauty/Fame thing not permanent. Maybe 3 irl months or longer, but so many problems come from 'one-and-done' things.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited August 2014
    *1 How about bosses that require being the holder of a monolith to be 'called forth'?

@1 A boss that performs enlighten on you. Or brainmelt. Something not-damage and not-control and not-specialcommand?
  • edited August 2014
    Iniar said:
    A boss that performs enlighten on you. Or brainmelt. Something not-damage and not-control and not-specialcommand?
    Affliction-based boss attacks are an interesting idea, but the attack rate for mobiles is usually deliberately too low to take advantage of that. We could solve that problem using mob afflictions, though. I like the idea, overall.

All current bosses are immune to mob afflictions, but future bosses may not be (or may be immune to only some afflictions or only at certain points in the fight). Feel free to work mob afflictions into boss fights ideas (I sure will be).
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • I suggested this awhile ago, but I'd really like to see a 'defense' that pretty much would never end. Honestly, I'd do it with different missions.

Horde (lvl 1-5 defense)
    undead (level 5-10 defense)
    demon (level 11-15)

-Waves would be x number of monsters and would get harder with every wave.
    -At milestone waves (5,10, 15, 20) you would fight bosses.

The alternative is just one never-ending wave where bosses are determined by how deep into the defense you are. Like at wave 1, you fight Kanthari. At wave 105, you fight Aleutia who just woke up in the middle of the night because Ahkan peed in the house.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    @Selthis would drool all over that.