Skip to content

Improving Imperian

Comments

• Other option I just thought of.  Make it so the GM has to choose the "core" class of the guild.  But you can't change it without paying a hefty fee (1-2m gold  once picked?).  So once someone chooses a class, they would only be put in a guild with that class as a primary as long as there were no other options with that class chosen as primary.  If there are, a choice dialogue comes up.  Do you want to join the Stormweavers or the Bards? 

This would hopefully encourage guilds to pick unique "primary" classes and not overlap each other.  

Or just go the simple way and say "Would you like this to be randomly assigned or would you like to choose?"
  • I've noticed multiple newbies over the last couple of days who are happy to keep trying to recreate as many times as they need to for the guild they are looking for, they seem to feel it'll be on record that they've left and joined?  I don't personally know about this and makes me feel maybe they're a little advanced, but I think it's important because it matters to them.  This seems like an extraordinary amount of hassle, given that we want them to stay and enjoy the game, let them have the hassle later if they want to change circles at some point.

It's also little awkward to tell them the command is suicide if they want to keep their name.  If we're going to need to give them this as an option could there be a reroll command like some other muds have or otherwise just slightly less striking wording (it's possible I'm the only one who thinks about this and I put too much thought into it) but we have no way of knowing if as a player, their life has been affected by suicide or not.  I've had the command be DELETESELF in other games.  It's only because this command is usually taught to new people who are wanting to recreate (in my experience) that I mention this, I think it's OK but the few times I've had to mention it as a command it's been to people in this new to the game wanting to come back really soon kind of situation.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Or.. We could delete guilds. I know mine hardly serves a function anymore. It used to be so badass. Then everyone could summon things, and the Noctusari weren't so speshul/unique/awesome anymore. I try to arghpee but let's face it, Aleutia's hallucinations are way cooler than my deeply detailed shenanigans. So I will let any RP happen to spring from Leechwood/Jackals. I don't really use my guild for anything but saying hi to Ellarynth (waddup @Ellarynth)
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • EdricEdric El Salvador
    I think guilds have a very solid purpose in guiding newbies. Imperian is a completely open game and it is what you make of it, but a lot of people will want some kind of direction when they first start. Guilds guarantee that you can have immediate access to help with class mechanics, as well as giving you a checklist of sorts for advancement. It gives you something concrete to do and a very immediate response to "What now?"

Maybe some other kind of organization could fulfill these purposes. Did you have anything in mind for that stuff?
  • Honestly, if I didn't know of a few guilds that were good to newbies I'd really probably just be super tempted to say "Delete guilds, make novicehood a city thing." Sort of like lusternia, but maybe a bit less structured. I think that is what they are sort of shooting for, because I know at one point they were talking about doing a sort of continuing storyline/drive as you level that guided you to the next bashing area etc. 
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Having recoded my system (most of it) the one thing I can say has made the largest difference for me is that I have a little HUD that shows me defences, timers, necessary evils (like number of remaining thornsprouts and chocolate chip cookies) and other little things that can zip on by in the excitement of spam-text that is Imperian combat. I would think that having a similar implementation for the IRE client will assist new players, particularly those who have to track verifiably trackable things. @Jeremy @Garryn.
  • Can the wyrmskin packs we get via tokens be expandable similar to the vialbelts?

I hate carrying multiple bags and having to figure out pack numbers. Most of the items are promotion items too, especially those horns. =(

• edited July 2014
    Risca said:
    Can the wyrmskin packs we get via tokens be expandable similar to the vialbelts?

I hate carrying multiple bags and having to figure out pack numbers. Most of the items are promotion items too, especially those horns. =(
    Yes, this can happen. Added to the list.

Wyrmskin packs, however, do not have the special properties (or the size) of silver-weave packs. We will probably make upgraded versions of the latter, instead.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • The thing about the wyrmskin packs is that they would make nice token sinks, which is especially nice because tokens have a lot less value now.

I don't care if it's not a no-theft pack, I just want something gigantic.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• edited July 2014
    Could do away with guilds entirely, or let them evolve into something new. Set up Academies or something similar that newbies get sent to. Have the various guild tutors all relocate to one big building for each circle. Have a few various quests that detail what each class does, allowing the newb to request class from the correct tutor, as well as have a place to learn.

This would have the added bonus of letting cities consolidate the random class rooms into a place that makes far more sense, as well as have small quests that explain class mechanics to people learning in the class.
  • Its a long shot, and I know its a huge project. But something like Aetolia's artifact system with buyable powers that you can put on whatever(and move around for a small fee) would be awesome.  Because frankly I'd love to do some consolidation of my inventory.  The box is a great first step, but yah.

Also, a system to exchange artifact vials for a different type.  Over time I've gotten a lot of artifact vials of various types, I'd like to consolidate that to  just a single type without losing 1/3 of the cost on the deal. So for example, consolidate down to all diamond vials or whatever.  
  • Yeah. I would love to do that. Tons of work though.

• IniarIniar Australia
    edited July 2014
    Selthis said:
    Its a long shot, and I know its a huge project. But something like Aetolia's artifact system with buyable powers that you can put on whatever(and move around for a small fee) would be awesome.  Because frankly I'd love to do some consolidation of my inventory.  The box is a great first step, but yah.

Also, a system to exchange artifact vials for a different type.  Over time I've gotten a lot of artifact vials of various types, I'd like to consolidate that to  just a single type without losing 1/3 of the cost on the deal. So for example, consolidate down to all diamond vials or whatever.  
  • Can there be a bit harsher line taken on  Deathglory deathsight messages? Maybe things that sound a bit less rapey or a bit less like a 1960s cartoon fight?
  • EdricEdric El Salvador
    Selthis said:
    Can there be a bit harsher line taken on  Deathglory deathsight messages? Maybe things that sound a bit less rapey or a bit less like a 1960s cartoon fight?
    What do you mean? I haven't seen any deathsight messages yet, but can you give me one of the more colorful examples?
  • I would like to see a separate list of honours from quest honours, called vanquished honours, or vhonours. It would show a list of bosses that character has vanquished, and might help separate boss-murdering achievements from other, possibly more abstract achievements.

• Could we please change Obelisks that we fight MORE OFTEN but for SHORTER PERIODS OF TIME?

I'd love to be able to provoke fights like today's more often than we can, but I'd really like to avoid having those fights be three hours long. 

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Selthis said:
    Its a long shot, and I know its a huge project. But something like Aetolia's artifact system with buyable powers that you can put on whatever(and move around for a small fee) would be awesome.  Because frankly I'd love to do some consolidation of my inventory.  The box is a great first step, but yah.

This so very, very badly.
  • Nitpicky for sure, but I would like to see affmessages and defmessages put into config colour. I know it can be can coded client side within a couple of minutes but with all the great options already within config colour those two just seem missing. 
  • Can we please change the Antioch exit on the standard wings to something a bit closer to the current gate? The old entrance was awesome when all the gates worked, but it's a long confusing path to Antioch now.

• Would it be possible to get some kind of PACKLIST or something? I've got the giant token pack and scrolling through it to see if I have a certain thing in it sucks. It would be nice just to be able to do 'PACKLIST BELL" and see all of my bells, etc, etc.

• Also, can there be some command to see the contents of vialbelt when it's in the shop? I see pre-filled vialbelts in shops all the time, and I make them for a shop in Antioch, and it would be nice if I could tell what the contents of a vialbelt were. Otherwise, it's frustrating when I'm trying to decide if the cost/product ratio is a good one to suggest to novices.

• IniarIniar Australia
    Can we have a way to get combat messages, so I don't have to hit people at random :) and say 'teehee, I just wanted to see what it looks like...'
  • Khizan said:
    Also, can there be some command to see the contents of vialbelt when it's in the shop? I see pre-filled vialbelts in shops all the time, and I make them for a shop in Antioch, and it would be nice if I could tell what the contents of a vialbelt were. Otherwise, it's frustrating when I'm trying to decide if the cost/product ratio is a good one to suggest to novices.
    Probing vialbelts will now show their contents.

Khizan said:
    Would it be possible to get some kind of PACKLIST or something? I've got the giant token pack and scrolling through it to see if I have a certain thing in it sucks. It would be nice just to be able to do 'PACKLIST BELL" and see all of my bells, etc, etc.
    I'll think about this and see what the others think. No promises.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • Khizan said:

Would it be possible to get some kind of PACKLIST or something? I've got the giant token pack and scrolling through it to see if I have a certain thing in it sucks. It would be nice just to be able to do 'PACKLIST BELL" and see all of my bells, etc, etc.

I wrote something in Mudlet with gmcp that does just this.
  • Could bounties somehow not get resolved during deaths in a shardfall area? It's really unsatisfying to bounty an entire group of people for an outpost fight and then have almost all of the bounties get resolved during a shardfall. You'd be fighting them anyways, so the shardfall is basically a "get out of bounty free" card; they don't get hunted for the bounty, they just lose it in the course of a free PvP event. 

It's really really frustrating to bounty a whole crop of outpost raiders and then hit up a shardfall half an hour later, and clear out half of those bounties without those bounties actually getting a chance to generate any conflict. 

• Plenty of changes already do that. Your objection is born purely from the fact that Khizan is asking for it. Didn't one of you Khandavans ask for consequences to be attached to in game action? I feel like shardfalls, a system of zero consequence, should not be a way to escape bounties, which you accrue for acting like an asshat towards opposing political powers.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>