Skip to content

What do you do for a living?

Comments

• MenochMenoch Raleigh, NC, USA
    If only R2's had said bleep bloop. 
  • AzefelAzefel Singapore
    slightly nicer photo of our obligatory May the 4th Be With You cupcakes we sold today

Part of what I've been slowly dying on for 2 months now.  All in all one of the more difficult geometric shapes to layout.  

100' long panels on a diamond shaped roof, all in a town where the wind speed never seems to be below 30 mph.  

• I am currently a stay at home technical writer. I've also got a couple of small contracts coming in for more fun work, so. My dream of actually being a professional writer is moving right along.
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    If I didn't have $1,300 worth of bills a month id love to be a full time free lance artist. Good on you man, glad you can follow your passion.
  • edited May 2014
    It is super rough, yah. I'm really only swinging it because I'm running on the barest of necessities, expense wise. I remember Volpe talking about that once, kind of hilarious now. My main goal here is to somehow get all of this to combine into a situation where I can make some survivable adult salary, because right now it's more like, one room in a house I rent with three other guys while eating like, super cheap food livable salary, haha.

The trade off is that I don't have to do sales though, or work in a loud kitchen with a bunch of dudes who brag about domestic abuse, which is awesome.
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”

• Knife sharpening and restoration: http://imgur.com/a/b8xC8

Also full time student, but I don't have pictures of that. 

• IniarIniar Australia
    Whoa nice :D
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Jesus, how much do you charge for the knife work? They look like standard cheapass knives and I'd guess that replacing them would be cheaper than paying somebody to fix them properly.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• That's what I said when I got them. I only charge 7 dollars a knife for sharpening, extra 3 for reprofiling, extra 3 for serrations, extra dollar per inch above 5. Small tip work generally falls under reprofiling for 3 dollars, but something like this I'd charge a lot more, likely 10. Unfortunately with this batch, the knife store only charged 3 extra dollars. 50/50 split so... Hand sharpening and sawing and reprofiling got me a hefty sum of 6 or 7 dollars a knife with that. Woohoo.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    How long did it take you?
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Way below minimum wage.
  • Props, @Gurn. I am a fan of ceviche, and that sampler looks tasty.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • About to start (hopefully) as a full time ED Patient Rep at the largest hospital in NC. It's weekends, so I'm coming back, bitches.
  • LaethusLaethus Wichita, KS
    This is what I do for a living.  I work for Kansas One Call.  You need to dig in Kansas?  Call me!  I'll take your information and send it to the utilities so that they can come out and mark the lines.  
  • LaethusLaethus Wichita, KS
    Oops, forgot to attach the file.
  • Laethus said:
    Oops, forgot to attach the file.
    And we have: http://www.gopherstateonecall.org/ Sounds like its pretty much the same thing. Let me tell you - those people are awesome.
  • I save the world.

Not really... I just work as an EMT. And by that, I mean I sit around and play Imperian while I wait for somebody to get sick, hurt or die. I'm like @Khizan.
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."
    (Ring): Lartus says, "Then it exploded."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • I do what Gurn does now. 

Used to be a PI back before i left.
  • I'm a Cyber Analyst. I could say more, but I'd have to kill you.
  • So many IRE players are not just military, but intel.  And of that pool, a surprising number from the linguist field.  
  • I work for a major company that provides cable service, internet, phone, and home security. I get paid -way- too much to talk to people on the phone and sell you more stuff and occasionally solve problems. My company is amazing to work for. 

Before that, I was a freelance writer for several years writing anything from ad copy for overpriced little girls dresses to an entire chapter on cardiac pharmacology for a college textbook. 

I also hawk my mother's beadwork on Etsy. 

Before Jesse died, I was working on a bio-engineering degree. Ideally, I'd like to go back and finish that and work towards a doctorate in nanotech. At some point, I'll be financially ahead enough to do both simultaneously (work and school). I like the money & benefits in my current field but it's about as fulfilling as watching paint dry.
    edited February 2015
    Rahiel said:

I'm a Cyber Analyst. I could say more, but I'd have to kill you.

Jules said:

So many IRE players are not just military, but intel.  And of that pool, a surprising number from the linguist field.  

SIGINT has been high demand for so long, and the squirrels get to keep their clearance and come back day after enlistment ends for x3-x5 as much as the DoD was paying them. Good money, you most likely will never handle a weapon after boot, and job prospects after contract is up... not hard to see. Plus I think the 2600 series MOS in the Corps were given enlistment bonuses for a while.

Doesn't seem to be a bad gig. Maybe I say that because I'm in WV and Meade is so close that my friends there don't seem so inaccessible.

ETA: I'm an idiot and wrong. AFAIK the Corps doesn't give enlistment bonuses. GySgt Rice's exact words: "Haha Johnson this kid asked about a signing bonus? Hey there "DUDE", if you survive, your bonus will be that you are a Marine." Think it was the SIGINT series for the Army but I forget their designates.
  • Yep yep, lots of people I know ended up in that area.  I retired from the AF in 2013, and even my wee baby cousin, who never did the military gig, uses her math degree out there.  
  • (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."
    (Ring): Lartus says, "Then it exploded."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
    Iniar said:

I feel so blessed most days - no matter how many silly decisions I make, I always tend to land the right way up. Life is good.
    Silly decisions like the carnage implicit in driving on the right (har) side of the road?
  • ...oooh, I will listen to said podcast and poke through the store.