Skip to content

Cults

Comments

• I like where it's going so far. I've had a lot of positive interactions with the Entities and I believe that entities bonding with cults should churn out some cool stuff to help differentiate between this setup and orders. I'm not huge on the grinding factor, but it's a good excuse to try and get on and recruit more people to the cause, and in general get people working towards a goal. I'm also glad that this time around I'm grinding and I know why, as opposed to the event which was just ROB GRIND FOR MONTHS SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

The Angel thing doesn't bother me. Maybe call it a Seraph or something. My issue is that it's hard to find beings that are all inclusive. Antioch and Ithaqua have between them the cause of the divine, or had. Incarnation is boring.

Entities becoming demons considering what happened with the events feels counter intuitive to me, but I'm just nit picking.

I like where things are going. I wish they'd go faster personally, but I don't think the current pace is a bad thing for the game. I'm also enjoying playing the Bachelor with Entities. WHO WILL GET MY ROSE? WHO WILL GO HOME?
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • My problem is this. I can look over my cult log and see an entire day of Khepera bashing and ending up in the hole for belief cause she died a few times, which means that getting to 100% belief may well mean I yell at cult members to STOP bashing entirely, or at least asking them not to hunt in challenging/difficult areas that offer good gold/exp, because every death effectively wastes an hour or so of bashing.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• It is not possible to cost your cult more than what you have personally contributed.
  • Would it be hard to switch the short term blessings over to actual timers rather than blessings that drop at midnight? It was true of truefavors too, but it's really noticable when the two hour blessings can last barely over one because the date changed immediately after burning the essence.
  • Yeah, they're supposed to be on actual timers already - I'll check it out,
  • Ah, maybe the time just went by faster than I expected. I apologize if I'm wrong.
  • Garryn said:
    It is not possible to cost your cult more than what you have personally contributed.
    Part of it is this, though. In terms of belief generation, we would literally be better off if I went AFK at the altar all day with triggers set up to sacrifice things for my cult. This just seems wrong to me..

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• edited November 2012
    Clerics had seraphs. So there's that re: using angels/seraphs. Clerics controlled them, how do they become beings to be worshiped? 

I also feel like the latest release is just something that passes the mechanics from admin to player, not a major change (aside from which "side" now handles the tedium of creating positions, assigning privileges, and etc).

The numbers needed to gain or lose belief seem a little nutty.. A given cult would be better off with just the cult leader and a bunch of non-members sacrificing, or handing off corpses to be sacrificed by the cult leader, I guess, if you can only sacrifice as a member.
  • Would it be possible to get some kind of belief summary for cults? My logs all too often look like this

2012/11/16 20:38:56 - We've gained 14121 belief thanks to Khepera.
    2012/11/16 21:03:31 - We've gained 26477 belief thanks to Khepera.
    2012/11/16 21:05:31 - We've gained 3749 belief thanks to Khizan.
    2012/11/16 21:11:22 - We've gained 8226 belief thanks to Khizan.
    2012/11/16 21:16:46 - We've gained 11496 belief thanks to Khizan.
    2012/11/16 21:20:32 - We've gained 9954 belief thanks to Khepera.
    2012/11/16 21:20:33 - We've gained 5535 belief thanks to Khizan.
    2012/11/16 21:28:45 - We've gained 9046 belief thanks to Khizan.
    2012/11/16 21:29:25 - We've gained 991 belief thanks to Khizan.

It would be fairly trivial to rig up a set of triggers to add all this up for me, but I'd rather not have to. Also, something similar for shardlogs would also be great, while I am thinking about it.

• Keep your requests and thoughts coming. Garryn and I will keep an eye on this thread and make sure things get adjusted properly.

• edited November 2012
    Garryn said:
    It is not possible to cost your cult more than what you have personally contributed.
    It is if they keep using altarhome, whose belief cost is still not reflected in the help file.
    EDIT: Actually it probably isn't, because their faith is also reduced.
    I am the righteous one... 
    the claims are stated - it's the world I've created 
  • Really not digging the set evolution of the entities. I think it cuts off any RP that the cults are designed to come up with. For example, the Leechtree cult suddenly has an entity that becomes a Demon Lord. I can kinda see it, but it doesn't -exactly- fit. To use an example from AM, how is an angel going to be attached to Jorachim's cult of the Architects? I think it would be better to allow a generic term for them to 'evolve' into for all circles, and each cult would have a specialized form (due to entity interaction with the cult) when it moves into a sect.

Anyone else see this as a problem?
  • Really not digging the set evolution of the entities. I think it cuts off any RP that the cults are designed to come up with. For example, the Leechtree cult suddenly has an entity that becomes a Demon Lord. I can kinda see it, but it doesn't -exactly- fit. To use an example from AM, how is an angel going to be attached to Jorachim's cult of the Architects? I think it would be better to allow a generic term for them to 'evolve' into for all circles, and each cult would have a specialized form (due to entity interaction with the cult) when it moves into a sect.

Anyone else see this as a problem?
    I agree with you, but at least in the case of Leechwood can handwave it very easily.
    I am the righteous one... 
    the claims are stated - it's the world I've created 
  • Maybe I don't see it as an issue because the Angel of Conquest seems legit.

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • Angel of Conquest seems very legit, but what about 'Elemental Lord/Lady of the Realm of Dreams' - what precisely do the Elements have to do with Rashirmir or Dreams?

I think I agree with @Sarciossis on this, I think an entity should be allowed to govern precisely what they 'become' upon joining with a sect. Really, Elemental Lord/Lady and Demon Lord/Lady are fine - but I just DESPISE Angel as a term. Incarnation is boring, but it works very well with the possibility of broader concepts.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • Elemental Lord of the Primal Spirit? Doesn't make a lick of sense.

Speaking of which, I wanted to ask-- Is anyone above 50% percent belief yet? RL at the moment makes it difficult for me to write and finish fleshing out my cult, but I was wondering how everyone else was going about this.
  • I love this sect stuff. Seems top notch to me.

Just because Sarc doesn't have vision means it sucks. Just means Sarc sucks. <3

Keep it up!

Although "Angel of the Architect" does sound kinda...eh. "Aspect of the Architect" now, even Billy Mays would buy that.
    Someone powerful says, "Its broken. No more pulling the guillotine."
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited November 2012
    @Sarrius. Cult of Dreams...sounds familiar. It's almost like Cassiopeia wrote it and bankrolled it. Now..Elemental Lord of Fire...awww yeah.

@Gurn I think we hit 35% once. Then Lionas decided he had had to much success in one day and started dying. 

I think Angel should be Seraph, it sounds cooler. Demon/Elemental Lord/Lady are cool. The only sad part is the coolest spirit hasn't popped in again. I think Kanthari killed it. :(

Cult of Cupcakes, make it happen.
  • Why angels? Sure, it works for Antioch, but Angels/Seraphs don't really fit with Ithaqua. Some kind of Greater Animal spirit or totem would work much better for that. It feels to me like it really limits the entities, and is counterproductive from the getting rid of the problem of square peg in a round hole that a lot of the old gods were.

Similarly, I don't think elemental lord will fit for all magick needs. I don't know if demonic is divisive enough to need more options, though I do seem to remember being told that a lot of demoners were in a rage over demons killing the gods. Seems odd that, if they were that deeply enraged, they would go and follow a demon lord/lady.
  • Like Lio said, you can hand wave/story tell around it. Roleplay etc.
  • @Ahkan: The cult was all me with some stuff from @Lalitana - since she shot down my 'cult of heroics' concept because it didn't reach out to magick's biggest demographic, I wanted to go with a 'fear' thing. The problem is, it is just too 'dark', so it doesn't work in magick.. in the end, I wrapped it in something fluffy like dreams and ponies.

Elemental Lord/Lady of Dreams just doesn't work whatsoever and I'll stick to that. I don't really like the idea of entities being typecast in to one of 3 'forms', even if they are essentially worthless flags that don't matter much in the long run of the system. I don't want to be forced to handwave something like that when it is so absurdly easy to fix, is all.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • I'd just prefer a more generic term, and then allow the entity to choose how it is going to present itself through the RP of the guild.

Yeah, we can work around it, but if the idea is that we -create- the cult, then why should we have to work around a characteristic that really doesn't make sense to certain cults. I feel like it narrows our ability to push for a cult to become a Sect.

'Yeah, my Esoteric Order of Dagon has 100% faith in our belief of the Lord Beneath the Waves, but why is it that the being that has been working with us to communicate with Him suddenly transformed into an Angel that looks like a fishmonster.'

Instead of:

'Due to all of the work myself and my followers put forward to raise the belief in the Lord Dagon, we were granted with the appearance of His watery Temple under the Great Sea, and greeting us from this Temple was the Lord Protector of His realm - who the Lord Dagon has chosen to be our ambassador to those amid the vast lands of Aetherius.'

• @Ahkan CULT CHARTER LIST. The Cult of Confections is already started.
  • edited November 2012
    Now I want to see a mad Mage establish the cult of Esoteric Depths, turning one of Kinsarmar's townes in to Innsmouth. :(

EDIT: As a more meaningful statement - I agree and I wish entities could pick between a wide range of 'forms'. Like we can pick races, an entity should be allowed to pick a certain form - some could be Elementals, some could be Incarnations or Angels or Demons or Aspects. It would be a long list and maybe would even govern something else mechanically in the cult?

EDIT2: Man, the Rashirmir cult is a good placement for a Nyarlathotep thing.
  • Gurn said:
    Elemental Lord of the Primal Spirit? Doesn't make a lick of sense.

Speaking of which, I wanted to ask-- Is anyone above 50% percent belief yet? RL at the moment makes it difficult for me to write and finish fleshing out my cult, but I was wondering how everyone else was going about this.
    I haven't, Conquest is at like maybe 20% and Victor and Aros have been huge about donating essence since we got it. It's just one of those things that's going to be a long process, and I'm not rushing it. Yes, it'd be cool to digivolve my cult but right now there's not a lot of mechanical incentive to.

• @Sarriushttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQXF4JzfliM

I'm opting for no forms, but if we have to stick to that, more forms would be better, imho. Variety is the spice of life.
  • I'm also curious as to how much Cult roleplay and the like is going on in other cults. I know(to my shame) that mine has discussed concepts and I'm wrote the ideology and the like down, but we haven't actually done anything yet. Is this happening in other cults as well?

Part of it, I think, is that I'm not sure what we're allowed to do and what's out of bounds/not 'canon'.
  • I'll have to agree that Angel doesn't cut it for everything, just like Demon Lord and Elemental Lord might not work for everything. I'd rather have a neutral form that the entity evolves into, that works for all circles or just more options for each circle. 
  • I will meet with the powers that be and rethink this a little. Maybe we can offer some alternate titles, which is really all it is.

• Knowing that the diety of a circle is going to be an angel, demon, or elemental being is fine - it shapes the resulting RP. The criticism I think mainly just stems from the fact that people have created these cults before knowing that the patron would be one of those three beings, which now makes for an awkward transition.