Skip to content

Thinking about making a cult

Hi all, I'm thinking about making a cult.  Before making one though, I thought it could be a good idea to ask for feedback on the forums.  I think John Boehner put it well, "a leader without followers is just a man taking a walk." If some other people are interested in my idea to the point where they would join the cult and play with the theme, then I think it could be a good idea to start a cult, otherwise not.

The theme for the cult, which would be demonic-oriented, would be Greed, or maybe Lucre.  The cult would study the implications of greed and lust, why people are so interested in things like luxury and money, and the members would make the quasi-religious pursuit of more everything a part of their character's belief system.

Taking part in the cult's mission would mean going on standard activities like bashing trips of course, but ideally the theme of greed/lucre could also provide an impetus for more complex RP-related events, when members or the cult as a whole try to obtain ownership of something.  The theme for cult members would be to exhibit their bling and wealth, or if they can't do that, then to at least exhibit their strong desire for such.  Bums and rich people would all be welcome so long as they lust for bling and babes (or dudes; or both, this cult isn't going to judge you, that's kind of the point).

For those of you who are anime fans, think of this guy:

The ultimate goal would be upgrading to a sect and seeing the creation of a demonic "God of Greed." This God could be symbolized by ruby red eyes in the darkness (yes, those are real rubies, unless someone stole them and replaced them with some kind of facsimile rubies which would not be unheard of).

I think this would be a good God/entity to have in Imperian as it would provide an impetus for player activity.  To compare it to a similar god, I always liked the simplicity of the God of Evil back in Achaea not because the roleplay was simple (I actually disliked that part), but because the theme made it easy to roleplay starting trouble and I think that "Greed" could be an analogue for what "Evil" had been years ago in that game, only deeper and more nuanced than "evil" was.

So, what do you guys think? And if people would be interested in joining such a cult, would you prefer the term Greed, Lucre or some other word be the identifier?

Comments

• edited February 2014
    Not sure how similar, but.

Information about the Cult of Insidious Indulgences:
    Cult leader: (nobody)
    Entity: (nobody)
    For as long as time has been recorded people have suppressed their desires, and to what end? We are all here on this plane of existence suffering the same ailments, same trials and same tribulations. Why should we deprive ourselves of the pleasures of life? We're here to say, you shouldn't.
    The focus and rituals of this cult are those of indulgences. We do not judge, we do not gossip. We all live in a glass house, and all of our backyards are dirty. The desires of men have caused wars, created and destroyed cities and none of us would be here if not for our parents giving into their primal and sometimes drunken urges. The Cult of Insidious Indulgences will protect our freedoms and the powers of our cravings, while urging us ever onwards to new heights of pleasure and delight.

************************[ Cults in the Demonic circle ]************************
    Short name      Name                      Leader          Entity          Members 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Indulge         the Cult of Insidious Ind (nobody)                        3
    Merciless       the Cult of the Merciless (nobody)                        2
    Transubstantiat the Cult of Transubstanti Mykael                          4
    *******************************************************************************

• There's not enough active demonic population to really support another cult.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Demonic already has two sects that are active and purposeful. I don't know what goes on inside Leechwood but everything I hear about Jackals just sounds great.

Always consider your competition if you found a cult. The best place to found one is Magick right now, because their biggest sect is useless and has zero agency. That means it will splinter soon and the members will shift around to other cults that display some measure of potential.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • Just remember. It's also not always about quantity, but quality.
  • To a point - if you can't even muster enough signatures for a charter, then your cult isn't even going to lift off the ground. More people also lessens the workload to a point when it comes to ascensions.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>