Skip to content

The Death of the Prophet

The metallic scent of blood wafts upon the air, carrying with it a vision of dark, eldritch roots. Blood seeps before your eyes, dripping in sanguine rivers upon the roots.

You watch in fascination as the roots dive deep into the dark loam of the forest, piercing the wall between the world as you know it, and the bowels of the Pit. Screaming and lamentation fills your ears, caressing you in the gentle thrum of death.

Joy overfills you as you turn, running to the hazy image of a man before you. With a laugh of delight, you throw your arms around his waist, secure in the
knowledge you are safe within your father's arms.

(Sol'anlumaire): You say, "Lionas?"

(Sol'anlumaire): Lionas says, "I see them."

The vision shifts, the image of the child melding away into that of a sapling. Its roots pierce the forest floor; a man hovers over the sapling, a soft smile of resignation touching his lips.

With gentle hands, the shadowy figure tends to the sapling, trimming branches and casting them to the ground. With little warning, the ground churns with a host of black roots, the sapling melding into the root system; the ground heaves beneath you, and, to the east, the silhouette of the massive Leechtree rises above the forest.

The visions give way to that of the base of the Leechtree, a group coming to congregate around it in Monarch Square.

--- Monarch Square ------------- 17:1:0 0 ---

Bathan scratches his head in confusion.

You give Lionas a concerned look.

The roots underfoot rustle with movement. You momentarily lose balance, but quickly find it again.

Lionas Sol'Anlumaire, Redwood Blight whispers to you, "Are you alright, dear?"

Aleutia steps closer to Kanthari, her hand coming to rest upon his shoulder.

You whisper to Lionas, "No."

You give a blistered leechwood tree a concerned look.

Khizan peers about himself unscrupulously.

Kanthari looks to you, his features touched with concern.

Lionas steps down off of a blighted white mare.

A blighted white mare begins to follow Lionas obediently.

You look undecided and ask Lionas, "What does it want?"

Images once more overtaking your vision, you watch as the outline of the man strides with purpose, coming to stand beside the base of the Leechtree, a look of pride imbued upon his indistinct features. The figure lifts one hand; a fluid strand emerges from the boughs of the Tree, wrapping tightly around the man's

With a gentle tug, the man is pulled towards the Tree. A gentle smile touches his lips as he follows the path before him. Opening within the Leechwood is a massive hole, calling the Prophet forward into its shadowy caress.

Aleutia presses her fingertips to her forehead, her features pale.

Lionas frowns, looking first to Aleutia and then to the tree.

Aleutia turns to look at Lionas, the colour further draining from her face as she whispers, "Don't."

Bathan raises an eyebrow questioningly.

Khizan Vladin says to Bathan, "I think they're planning to feed you to the tree."

Iniar looks thoughtfully at Lionas's profile, pondering the situation.

Bathan grunts noncommittally.

Lionas Sol'Anlumaire, Redwood Blight whispers to you, "There are things in this life that grow to be larger than the Self."

Sai Ahkan Dios, Ultimatum of Sukhder says to Lionas, "You should."

Aleutia demands in a clipped wavering voice to the Leechtree, "Not him."

You whisper to Lionas, "I need you yet."

Khizan Vladin says, "Look at him, though. He's all big and strong and heroic. Perfect tree food."

Sai Ahkan Dios, Ultimatum of Sukhder says to Khizan, "It's entirely possible the tree won't eat him."

Aleutia stares imploringly to Lionas, tears gathering in the corners of her eyes as she begs, "Lionas?"

Khizan Vladin says, "Don't believe it."

Lionas kneels before Aleutia, placing a hand upon her shoulder and whispering in her ear.

Lionas Sol'Anlumaire, Redwood Blight whispers to you, "This is a journey I must take, but one from which I will not return."

Ahkan whispers something to Kanthari.

Lionas Sol'Anlumaire, Redwood Blight whispers to you, "I need you to lead this council in my stead."

Kanthari narrows his eyes at Ahkan in an unnerving manner.

Iniar whispers something to Eldreth.

Eldreth whispers something to Iniar.

You whisper to Lionas, "You can't. D'ah. Please?"

Iniar whispers something to Eldreth.

Bathan Zran says, "All these damned whispers."

Kaveri clicks at Bathan.

Sai Ahkan Dios, Ultimatum of Sukhder says to Bathan, "I was reassuring Kanthari."

Sai Ahkan Dios, Ultimatum of Sukhder says to Bathan, "He's not used to being the one not crying in these things."

Bathan Zran asks, "What the Dis is going on? What has feeding the tree brought?"

Lionas says to you, "You are my niece, and my closest kin, though we are not related by blood. You will find your strength, though it may take time."

Khizan Vladin says, "Married to Aleutia, I'd have guessed he was really used to crying."

Eldreth whispers something to Iniar.

Khizan gives himself an acknowledging nod.

Iniar's eyes twinkle enchantingly at Eldreth.

Ahkan squints suspiciously at his surroundings.

Iniar sucks thoughtfully on his teeth.

Aleutia stares widely at Lionas, merely shaking her head in response.

Lionas takes up his belongings, placing them within a saddlebag. With a whistle, his mare shifts to stand next to Aleutia.

Lionas signals to a blighted white mare, ordering it to go with you, its new master.

Kanthari furrows his brow as he observes the exchange.

Iniar lets loose a quiet sigh.

Lionas purses his lips contemplatively.

Bathan grunts noncommittally.

Iniar cackles as he moves an unmarked Tarot card nimbly across his fingers. A sharp clap, and the card evaporates in a mist.

Lionas reaches out one arm, his palm open and pointed toward the Leechtree. A fluid strand of spores, flowing outward from the cleft of the tree, encircles his wrist.

The spores encircling Lionas's wrist spread outward from the point of contact, slowly overtaking his form completely. The humanoid mass of spores lifts from the ground, moving slowly toward the cleft of the tree, before finally disappearing into its maw.

As the figure disappears completely within the cleft of the tree, a flurry of spores fills the air, temporarily blinding you.

Kaveri begins to intensify slowly until she appears flesh and blood once more.

Bathan scowls miserably.

The crackling laughter of the Diabolus within the Leechwood can be clearly heard, beginning as a roar but quickly growing quiet and then falling silent. Her sanguine eyes shine out from within the boughs of the tree, then suddenly fade to darkness.

Aleutia whispers softly, tears spilling down her cheeks, "Lionas?"

A crimson glow is cast across the area as a lantern softly illuminates the surroundings.

Eldreth nods sagely.

Kanthari closes his eyes briefly, head shaking once before he wraps an arm around Aleutia's shoulders.

Bathan stares at the tree, mumbling something to himself.

With a sharp exhalation of breath, Iniar flops himself down on the ground.

Kaveri steps back, careful to avoid any roots.

Having garnered the requisite number of supporters, you become Prophet of Khandava of Khandava!
A chorus of cheers erupts among the citizenry, who hope that you will lead them into a new age of prosperity.

Aleutia pulls away from Kanthari, her slight frame wandering closer to the Tree.

Ixielle sighs quietly, bowing her head.

Iniar strokes your head in consolation.

You put your lips to Lyria's Howl and blow.
Naught but a whisper comes from the horn. Strangely, you feel an urge to stand under the open sky.

Entering Monarch Square. (Khandava Council.)
You put your lips to Lyria's Howl and blow.
As you sound the horn, what emerges from it is a great, echoing wolf-howl that seems to leap from tree to tree.

The great howl of a mighty wolf echoes out through the Redwoods, answered a moment later by one, then another, until the great cacophony of a baying pack blankets the entire forest and council.

The shifting form of Kanthari, Aspect of Moradeim enters from the east.

(Khandava): You say, "Mourn for your Prophet, Deadwood. And then look to Our future."

Comments

• AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited December 2013
    God, Khandava is so toxic it killed its own leader with its toxic roleplay. Fkn Khandava.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited December 2013
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Marching resolutely towards the cleft of the Leechwood, the bloody woodling tosses the body of small animal into the gaping void.

Aw, how cute. The woodling thinks Treeionas needs a snack!
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • And I guess the smelly woodling thought he needed toilet paper!

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• MenochMenoch Raleigh, NC, USA
    AB ENGINEERING CHAINSAW

Used in conjunction with Felling in the Survival skillset, the chainsaw is an engineering marvel and also grants awe-inspiring blows to any undead creature subtype. (Disclaimer: Not attachable to hand.)
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Will miss @Lionas.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure