Skip to content

City Raiding and Defence

Comments

• I guess, but I had another thought and my phone decided to break the post in to little chunks, so I will just post it later after work. :(
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • One thing I just changed (on my test server), is that guards that are not already in a fight, will automatically hit anyone coming into the room. After all, they are standing there, waiting to jump any enemies that enter the room. This also goes for patrols that enter a room with a player already in it.

• Making guards not able to be killed or automatically resetting for zero cost after a time would make protracted/Zerg raids pointless and would maintain targeted raids as desired.
  • Uhm, immune guards and/or no guard death consequences would really eliminate the punishment for mismanagement or negligence with guards. This way, it makes the Security Minister position a position of competence as opposed to a clique position. A city's safety should be directly related to the competence of its leadership.

• Almost done with squads and patrols, I will load them up this afternoon probably. Just finishing some basic clean up stuff and testing.

• Since we're trying to increase guild/city arghpee in relative safety, I have an unpopular opinion to voice. I'd like to get focus moradeim (moradeim obelisk) changed.

#1: The death of moradeim bypass.
    I really don't think anything should bypass mono/holy/haze except for focus sukhder, which requires infiltration and presence in city. It makes it really hard to run a spammy as hell guild ritual when some derp is chain focusing moradeim bypass.

#2 Add shard usage requirements to focus aryana/moradeim/sukhder
    -Blue shard for basic usage
    -Red shard for advance nifty or increased blue shard cost. (this will cost you 3 blue shards)
  • Another thing I'd like to mention is that you shouldn't be able to set up Mark Return or the Raksha Band in enemy territory. Getting inside of an enemy organization should be a matter of skill and of stealth, not something as simple as typing "mark return" from the safety of your city and bypassing the enemy organization's gates and guards entirely. 

To make matters worse, there's no simple way to identify these locations until they are used, and that only with a lucky location check when they move. But even if you could identify them, there's no reliable way to interdict them aside from parking a sizable number of your guards on top of it and waiting for them to move it away from that spot.  

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• H:637 M:669 W:0 <eb db> You are already wearing a mask, and cannot secure another.
    H:637 M:666 W:0 <eb db>
    H:637 M:669 W:0 <eb db> [in]
    You start plodding carefully across the constructed war nest.
    H:637 M:669 W:0 <eb db>
    Within a mighty pine tree. [Ithaquan Council.][5075]
    This has been marked as holy ground. An elite Idrasi wolfrider is manning a cannon here. He has
    sixty-four cannon balls. A protective war nest has been constructed here. Empty holes in the ground
    signal the presence of a depleted bombfield.
    You see exits leading in (closed door), a spiral staircase leads to the up, and a tall archway leads
    out (gate open).
    An elite Idrasi wolfrider's mount obediently lunges forth on its master's command, tearing into you
    with its fangs.
    Damage Taken: 45 blunt (raw damage: 118)
    H:592 M:666 W:0 <eb db> [up]
    You start plodding carefully across the constructed war nest.
    H:592 M:666 W:0 <eb db>
    Health Gain: 12
    H:604 M:669 W:0 <eb db>
    An elite Idrasi wolfrider's mount obediently lunges forth on its master's command, tearing into you
    with its fangs.
    Damage Taken: 35 cutting (raw damage: 94)
    H:569 M:666 W:0 <eb db>
    Entryway to the village of Ithaqua. [Ithaquan Council.][5076]
    This has been marked as holy ground. You have entered the campground of Airamaya. A stone feral
    Lycaean crouches as if to attack. A stone dire wolf snarls here, frost etching the grim statue. A
    sooty piece of cool charcoal lies on the ground. An elite Warden marksman is manning a cannon here.
    He has eighty-three cannon balls. There are 8 elite Warden lancers here. There are 3 elite Idrasi
    wolfriders here. A frost nymph lounges here, clad only in snow. A cloud of smoke fills the area,
    coming from a campfire in the center of a campground. A protective war nest has been constructed
    here.
    You see exits leading north, and a spiral staircase leads to the down.
    Unsheathing a curved dagger, an elite Warden marksman lunges forward , carving into you viciously.
    Damage Taken: 25 cutting (raw damage: 68)
    In one smooth motion, an elite Warden lancer rushes forth, ducking low and driving his charged
    glaive into your gut.
    Damage Taken: 98 electricity (raw damage: 145)
    An elite Warden lancer unfurls a net from his pack, whipping it out and over you in a sweeping
    motion.
    You are afflicted with webbed.
    In one smooth motion, an elite Warden lancer rushes forth, ducking low and driving his charged
    glaive into your gut.
    Damage Taken: 87 electricity (raw damage: 130)
    glaive into your gut.

“We abjure labels. We fight for money and an indefinable pride. The politics, the ethics, the moralities, are irrelevant."
    I may have been playing with your guard system.

#1 To squads automatically stand guard permanent? If not, I cannot order them to and I can't order them to stand guard individually.

You most remove that guard from its squad before you can do that.
    You most remove that guard from its squad before you can do that.

#2 I have no idea who is in charge of my squad, but he sounds like a mf'ing badass.
    Fat Squad
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Leader       : Kohdon39775

#3 The 'troops' move too slow playing follow the leader (if you do it this way), it's really weird. Why does this mode exist? Group move is vastly superior.
    This is a problem because I can move one guard really freaking fast. The problem is that it's going to be and kohdon39775 and the horde of AM cheese. # of rooms in seconds later, my dudes will show up. AM won't do this, but I would...I am going to wall the exit the security aide just came in effectively denying access.

#4 Shard walls > all alls.
    Given #3, shard walls are greater than guards. Guards can't break shardwalls (and neither can bolts, nets). Is this intentional or an over sight?

• My one complaint is that guards need to be able to destroy shardwalls because nobody even uses walls that aren't shardwalls anymore, because every other wall is garbage compared to them.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• 1. Announce post.

2. Have you tried to assign the leader to someone else in the squad? I cannot reproduce that, so I am not sure what happened. Let me know how you managed to do that.

3. What do you mean? You can set them to move at whatever speed you want. and they should move as a single group. (A patrol of 5 guards moves to the east). Need more info.

4. How do we want to deal with shardwalls? I am discussing with the crew this morning as well.

• Jeremy said

4. How do we want to deal with shardwalls? I am discussing with the crew this morning as well.
    I'd love just to be able to research it through the shard system, otherwise, giving shards to the squads which lets them use them to take down walls when they come across them.

I'd prefer the second one, as it comes into effect ASAP, rather than needing to be researched, as well as providing a point for a bad organization to fail.
  • I am working on giving grouped ammo to guards now. I think I am going to make it so you need to give blue shards to guards so they can break them.

• That's a good solution. I love shard walls as an idea, but you can't count on anyone using ice walls or stone walls (aside from Eldreth) anymore, because shard walls are so much better.
  • Jeremy said:
    I am working on giving grouped ammo to guards now. I think I am going to make it so you need to give blue shards to guards so they can break them.
    I'm not sure I enjoy the idea of dying guards bursting in a pinata of siege ammo and shards. Because it's not Ahkan and crew generally supplying the siege lines. It's jerks like me. Which now means I'm required to go farm shards even more than I have to already.
  • Aleutia said:
    Jeremy said:
    I am working on giving grouped ammo to guards now. I think I am going to make it so you need to give blue shards to guards so they can break them.
    I'm not sure I enjoy the idea of dying guards bursting in a pinata of siege ammo and shards. Because it's not Ahkan and crew generally supplying the siege lines. It's jerks like me. Which now means I'm required to go farm shards even more than I have to already.
    I imagined the idea of 'shared ammo' being that the entire group would have to die before the shard piñata fell. This doesn't seem like a terribly big deal to me.
  • Juran said:
    Aleutia said:
    Jeremy said:
    I imagined the idea of 'shared ammo' being that the entire group would have to die before the shard piñata fell. This doesn't seem like a terribly big deal to me.
    I would rather see Jeremy post that was his intent instead of "this is my interpretation of what he posted", then.
  • edited December 2013
    Why not give all guards some kind of Ghostbusters-esque extractor that allows them to sap shard energy from a circle's generator and use a single shard's worth on each shardwall? The only issue here would be abuse of shardwalls to drain magick and demonic's generators, so, I don't know, maybe there ought to be a cooldown on shardwalls to begin with, at least in enemy territory.

Edit: If not all guards, just the new engineer type, if we get one.

• Yeah, I am working out in my head how to make it work right now. One guard with the shards is not really a good idea. Right now only squads can break the walls, so we could give those shards to the 'group'. I will have to think about it.

• Ammo carts!
  • edited December 2013

I'd rather just make it a research so I don't have to worry about keeping shards stocked on all the guards, and so I don't have to worry about people getting into the city specifically to shardwall up patrol routes and drain shards out of the guards.

People are sitting on hundreds or thousands of shards as it is now. I'm sitting on something like 600 shards and I know people who have a few thousand, and it would be trivial to run a guard patrol out of any reasonable amount of shards.

Caelya's idea is basically the same thing, because I could put all the shards I personally own into the generator, but it would allow them to drain ALL the shards.

I'd like to just make breaking shardwalls free for guards after you research it, preferably in a city-defense no-obelisk tree. If the guards need a cost for it, though, I'd like to make breaking shardwalls cost a portion of a shard, so that intentionally burning shards takes a loss.

• Make it free, because we will inevitably find a way to abuse the fact that it has a cost.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • The cost is one shard to disrupt and one shard (plus presumably a death to guards) to shard wall away the guards. Even with one side entirely done with shard research, I don't see this as the biggest of deals.
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited December 2013

An elite smoldering treant batters Kalcer with an overhead blow.
    An elite smoldering treant skewers Kalcer with a well-placed jab.

Is this just bad luck or are they not using guard specific attacks like web/lightning?
  • I will test it.

• It's a very rare bug, yes. I thought it's already fixed, apparently it still can happen somehow.
  • Okay, so I am done with the archer/telepath defense for cities. There will be an upkeep cost for this, but I am not certain what is a fair amount. I am thinking 10K per game month is good. Thoughts?

• Gold is dumb. Generator energy would be better.
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited January 2014
    I'd throw in a 'shard cost' to keep powering the telepaths. This way, there's a constant drain on shards which forces you to stay interested in shard falls.

Gold is perfectly legit cost. It's the most reasonable of any cost. You have to hire and maintain security. Tying it to the generator is mm...not good. Small picture, it makes sense. Big picture, too much war time (obelisks) can't shut your guards off. Bad idea. Too many people don't understand the war system

Edit: Actually, if you could have two different energy stores in the generator that could work. "Security generator" and "War generator." I still like the hybrid cost because it allows for you to power your city defense with merchant, pk, and pve. Just harping on maximizing how inclusive cities should be.