Skip to content

Sects, lore, et cetera

Since the other thread was more focused on the mechanical aspects of cults and sects, I thought I'd put this thread up as a place for people to discuss other facets of the system. 

My main issue with cults and sects is that, despite being given the freedom to write up essentially whatever we want as a concept, we're given very little in the way of support. This is not me talking about the activity of the entity. That's not something that will ever be 'fixed', because entities are volunteers. I totally get that and moreover, I appreciate the time they put in trying to do stuff for us, as I'm sure other players do. What I'm talking about though is some kind of support system being put in place where cult and sect leaders can possibly meet up with the administration and say, 'hey, here are some things we'd like to do, is any of this possible' and go from there. This way, the people running these roleplay organizations could get straight answers on their ideas and have a better understanding of what is, and what is not possible. These meetings would also serve as grounds for leaders to meet up, discuss possibly roleplay avenues and generate activity on their own.

The problem here as I see it (and this is the main issue with Imperian in general) is the total lack of communication. We're offered the chance to write up a concept, spend weeks/months grinding out PvE objectives, and then once maxed out it's like, 'well crap, what do I possibly tell my people to do?'. Maybe it was my fault for creating Conquest, as opposed to the Sect of Finger Painting, where objectives would be a lot easier to dole out. That's another gripe, however. If you, the administration, see a concept that hinges upon conflict, shoot them a message and be all, 'hey, this is cool and whatever, but I need you to realize that we're not going to be able to offer you any mechanical support'. If I had been told that, I would've absolutely understood, changed up my concept or simply not bothered. I beat my head against that wall, offering to win fights, lose fights, draw, whatever, and at the end of the day it was incredibly frustrating. My sect had unlocked everything, we had a super active entity and I ultimately had nothing to provide people except masturbatory roleplay options about 'preparing for war' and 'keeping sharp' while we continued to dominate shardfalls frankly due to circle imbalances. 

So yah, that's what I have for now, but I'll probably add more, feel free to add your own take on the system.

‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”

Comments

• IniarIniar Australia
    A cadre of recurring personas with in-game motivations and mechanistic power for the Entity would be a lot of fun for players/entities.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Suddenly, that idea seems a lot scarier. :(

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Khizan said:
    Suddenly, that idea seems a lot scarier. :(
    I have plans to come after you first, Khizan. You and your leader's glitter.
  • If I dress up as an orc, can I be on your side? :(

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Khizan said:
    If I dress up as an orc, can I be on your side? :(
    You'll need to put in an application. No promises.