Skip to content

Cairns

edited September 2013 in General Discussion
Because it wasn't super clear exactly how they worked, and it's been clarified some, this post will explain how Cairns work a bit. Feel free to reply with general discussion about Cairns.

Cairn stones cost 1 token. There's really no reason to buy any kind other than than Crimson, unless you just want to harvest it sooner or you're low level. You can only gain a max of one OVERALL LEVEL from each cairn you place (but can gain multiple quest levels), so that might change which you place (but probably not). The Cairn stones turn into Cairns when the owner BUILDs CAIRN. Only one can exist per room, and they can be placed in any room.

Once a Cairn is placed, each person can interact with it once per RL hour, when the IG day ticks over. Interactions are either SANCTIFY or DEFILE CAIRN.
The helpfile initially read like defiling was what everyone should do all the time. Turns out, this isn't actually the case.

Both Sanctifying and Defiling Cairns generate XP for the person taking the action (the Sanctifier) and charge the Cairn.

Sanctifying charges the Cairn "substantially more" than Defiling, and DOES NOT open the Sanctifier up to PK.
Defiling charges the Cairn a lot less than Defiling, but is worth MORE XP to the Sanctifier. Defiling DOES open the Sanctifier up to PK from the owner of the cairn, or anyone he happens to pass the PK rights off to.

Sanctifying is better for the Cairn but not as good for the Sanctifier.
Defiling is better for the Sanctifier, but doesn't charge the Cairn much.

Got it?

EDIT TO ADD:
You can sanctify/defile ANY NUMBER of cairns per hour, but can only sanctify/defile each once. Any number, once each.
I am the righteous one... 
the claims are stated - it's the world I've created 

Comments

• edited September 2013
    My Cairn is at Aryana's Spring. Here's a short list of the Cairns I know about (whose owners also want the word spread). These are all Crimson, so they'll be around for 7 RL days:

Demonic
    Lionas's Cairn at Aryana's Spring, 8463
    Ahkan's Cairn at Nearing a ruined square 8477
    Iluv's Cairn at Rotten foundations of an inn 8530

Anti-Magick
    Ozreas's Cairn at The empty western square, 8465
    Septus's Cairn at The empty northern square, 8472
  • I love cairns.

I've gained 18 quest levels today!

Overall Level: 104 (2.54%) A Divine Aspect of the 4th Tier
    Bashing Level: 104 (71%) A Divine Aspect of the 4th Tier
    Quest Level : 19 (54%) Vital
    PK Level : 84 (57%) 2nd Circle of Celestial Power

:D

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• I wish the cairns gave noticeable experience for 90+ questers :(
  • Ahkan tells you, "I love your canadian face, even if I haven't seen it."

Ahkan tells you, "I use the shit out of startcairns."

It's cause I'm the best.
  • AzefelAzefel Singapore
    edited September 2013
    as long as you remember who got you there 

• edited September 2013
    I will probably tweak cairns a little. I would like for them to be helpful to high level players, but not stupid game breaking too.

Thoughts?

• edited September 2013
    In my mind, owning cairns is the purview of high levels, and using them is for the plebes lowbies. In that way, they do benefit high levels, just more long term.
  • edited September 2013
    Manually editing the dbvar is annoying. This alias adds an item to the end of the queue.

#alias addcairn {#if (%1) {#addkey cairn_list (%numkeys(@cairn_list)+1) %1}}

EDIT:
    Listing current queue:
    #alias showcairns {#echo %cr;#loop %numkeys(@cairn_list) {#echo %i @cairn_list.%i}}

EDIT 2:
    Remove item by key (the number shown on the left in showcairns)
    #alias removecairn {#local $bubbleindex
    $bubbleindex = (%numkeys(@cairn_list) - %1 + 1)
    #WHILE ($bubbleindex <= %numkeys(@cairn_list)) {
      #addkey cairn_list $bubbleindex %db(@cairn_list, ($bubbleindex+1))
      $bubbleindex = $bubbleindex + 1
    }
    #delkey cairn_list %numkeys(@cairn_list)}

• IniarIniar Australia
    edited September 2013
    Mudlet
    ----------

docairns to start
    stopcairns to prematurely terminate

put locations in table cairn.list in format "####a" where a is s for sanctify and d for defile.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • You rock, Iniar!
  • It's going to get all awkward when Dias tries to sell Iniar's cairn system to other dudes.
  • edited September 2013
    Ahkan, get back onto the short bus please....

I also love how Ahkan and Lionas do "abuse" on near anything I post, must be hating that I sanctified the cairns. Darn.
  • Dias said:
    I also love how Ahkan and Lionas do "abuse" on near anything I post, must be hating that I sanctified the cairns. Darn.
    2/79 is 2.5% of your posts. It also happens that those were the posts where you made personal attacks (violating forum rules for the 3rd time in 2 days)
  • Oh man, personal attacks? Lemme go look through some of your guys post, sure I can find plenty of those buggers.
  • Dias said:
    Oh man, personal attacks? Lemme go look through some of your guys post, sure I can find plenty of those buggers.
    Recounting events that have happened or otherwise stating facts is not a personal attack. Implying someone is mentally retarded is.
  • Shorter funded cities have the small buses for gas efficiency :D
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited September 2013
    God. On campus, they have a 'short bus' that they use when they larger buses have mechanical issues...this is the glory bus. It has all captain's chairs that are evenly spaced and they have the ac set on near arctic. I ride the crap out of that bus. That bus is a hero.

Buses themselves are efficient as hell. Even well funded cities milk that for all it's worth (to save money). 

• IniarIniar Australia
    edited September 2013
    Iniar said:
    Mudlet
    ----------

docairns to start
    stopcairns to prematurely terminate

put locations in table cairn.list in format "####a" where a is s for sanctify and d for defile.
    Needs an additional trigger.
    pattern: You cannot find a new path so soon.
    script: tempTimer( 3.0, function() cairn.go_next() end )

E: Actually, new link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kn53lyv8tyy7k6t/cairns.trigger.xml Found a conflict w YATCO, thanks to Iluv
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Razed my Cairn. Gained 12% quest xp, 1% overall xp.
    After razing, my xp was at this point:
     Overall Level: 109 72.78%
     Quest Level  : 91  (26%)
  • That's not too bad for the quest experience gain. That took you a week in order to get it full powered, right?
  • edited September 2013
    It doesn't have a max power that it stops at. Cairns are theoretically infinite. They last for a certain amount of time (varies by cairn), and the amount of xp you will get is determined by how many people sanctify/defile them. I had a crimson cairn, which lasts 7 days. 12% quest xp is not worth 32 credits to me, and I won't be buying another.
  • That's not the way I was explained to by Jeremy. He was saying the max out for the Crimson Cairn was 10.2 million experience (I am not sure the % equivalent for each level).
  • edited September 2013
    That's incorrect. Even the help file shows a higher number than that. The only cap is the one that your overall level places on the cairn. You cannot gain more xp than your current overall level requires to level up. The higher your overall level, the higher the artificial cap placed on your cairn.

EDIT: At least, that's how he explained it to me
  • Lionas said:
    12% quest xp is not worth 32 credits to me, and I won't be buying another.
    Cairns were never ever ever going to be worth 32 credits to anybody who has even a half-decent quest level. The only reason I bought one is because I was at quest level 1 and questing is awful.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• H:670/670 M:288/310 B:0 <eb> <db> raze cairn
    You have reached the illustrious quest level of 26 and your soul cries out in ecstasy at your new rank of Remarkable.
    You have reached the illustrious quest level of 27 and your soul cries out in ecstasy at your new rank of Vanguard.
    You have reached the illustrious quest level of 28 and your soul cries out in ecstasy at your new rank of Exceptional.
    You have reached the illustrious quest level of 29 and your soul cries out in ecstasy at your new rank of Gallant.
    You have reached the illustrious quest level of 30 and your soul cries out in ecstasy at your new rank of Courageous.
    You have reached the illustrious quest level of 31 and your soul cries out in ecstasy at your new rank of Distinguished.
    You have reached the illustrious quest level of 32 and your soul cries out in ecstasy at your new rank of Intrepid.
    You have reached the illustrious quest level of 33 and your soul cries out in ecstasy at your new rank of Dauntless.
    You have reached the illustrious quest level of 34 and your soul cries out in ecstasy at your new rank of Unflinching.
    You have reached the illustrious quest level of 35 and your soul cries out in ecstasy at your new rank of Dynamic.
    You have reached the illustrious quest level of 36 and your soul cries out in ecstasy at your new rank of Prominent.
    You have reached the illustrious quest level of 37 and your soul cries out in ecstasy at your new rank of Prestigious.
    You have reached the illustrious quest level of 38 and your soul cries out in ecstasy at your new rank of Superior.
    You have reached the illustrious quest level of 39 and your soul cries out in ecstasy at your new rank of Radiant.
    You have reached the illustrious quest level of 40 and your soul cries out in ecstasy at your new rank of Grand.
    You have reached the illustrious quest level of 41 and your soul cries out in ecstasy at your new rank of Salient.
    You have reached the illustrious quest level of 42 and your soul cries out in ecstasy at your new rank of Heroic.
    You have reached the illustrious quest level of 43 and your soul cries out in ecstasy at your new rank of Golden.
    You have reached the illustrious quest level of 44 and your soul cries out in ecstasy at your new rank of Valiant.
    You have reached the illustrious quest level of 45 and your soul cries out in ecstasy at your new rank of Marvelous.
    You have reached the illustrious quest level of 46 and your soul cries out in ecstasy at your new rank of Luminary.
    You have reached the illustrious quest level of 47 and your soul cries out in ecstasy at your new rank of Shining.
    You have reached the illustrious quest level of 48 and your soul cries out in ecstasy at your new rank of Scintillating.
    You have reached the illustrious quest level of 49 and your soul cries out in ecstasy at your new rank of Eminent.
    You have reached the illustrious quest level of 50 and your soul cries out in ecstasy at your new rank of Paragon.
    You have reached the illustrious quest level of 51 and your soul cries out in ecstasy at your new rank of Mighty.
    You have reached the illustrious quest level of 52 and your soul cries out in ecstasy at your new rank of Brilliant.
    You have reached the illustrious quest level of 53 and your soul cries out in ecstasy at your new rank of Majestic.
    Kneeling before a crimson cairn a final time you issue a short prayer. Light surrounds the construct, suddenly flashes, and engulfs you. When you open your eyes, the cairn is gone, but a feeling of enpowerment remains.

Balance Taken: 5.20s

Not even close to worth 32cr unless you've got an incredibly terrible level disparity like I do. Terrible value for your money, will not buy again.

• AzefelAzefel Singapore
    edited September 2013
    xp for credits, unless at a stupidly high ratio that will never happen, was never ever going to be worth it.
  • The 10.2 million was an old number @Dias, there is no longer a cap. I do plan on revisiting cairns in a few days I will make some more adjustments.

• Azefel said:
    xp for credits, unless at a stupidly high ratio that will never happen, was never ever going to be worth it.

It was worth it to me just as a lazy way to get up from quest level zero and a whopping 2 mana reserves.

Questing in this game blows.

• AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited September 2013
    So, cairns. This system was pretty 'snooze button'. There was really no incentive for me to defend my cairn, especially after I razed that mofo. I dinged about 12% experience at level 83. The cairn system has the same problem your portal coins has. I'm shelling out 30 credits to get involved and I'm getting less than I probably would receive auto-running caravans. Not to mention, the cairn system  generated 0 pk and really only acted as a self centered jerk detector. Oddly, did not detect Lionas...suspicious.

If you're really going to commit to my idea of "portal coin scenarios" I see some crossover here. You can use cairns to generate the energy to access the portal scenario areas. You have to initially build your cairn with a token investment. You can then 'buy portal coins' to add on scenarios to your cairn, granting you access to them. You can do them as teams, but everyone in the team needs access to the scenario. After this, you add some kind of derpy upkeep cost to your cairn and allow it to generate 5% of the xp it currently granted. You make up the rest of the quest xp you lost in the original system by designing scenario based quests. It's more of a long term, p2p perk that keeps on giving that's not too dissimilar from your daily/weekly/monthly quests in WoW.
    Cairn types available:  Amber, Cobalt

PK
    This is where I think the system can get cool. These cairns generate more energy and more xp. They also generate another resource that you will use to repair your cairn and attack other cairns. The problem is that they can be destroyed by other players. They can't destroy your credit investment, but they can keep making you re-invest comms. 
    Basic rules:
    -No pk cairns in cities
    -Attacking is a channeled action to allow for reprisal.
    -You can 'win' types of energy to get more power  (argh, pirate)
    -You can 'raze' the shrine just to be a jerk  (argh, troll)

Problems:
    -You'd need to code mechanics so that team skype can't zerg down a cairn while people are busy with real life.
    -Those coding things can't inhibit attacks of opportunity.

Ideas you could work in:
    -More than one pk cairn that generate 'energy' based on how far apart they are (See: Haze generation in shadowbinding) Strategic placement of cairns. Strategic attack/defense. (also makes us spend more money)
    -kind of works like shrine/sect system while giving people a risk/reward to get involved in peekay.
    -tie in some champion benefit (risk/reward, makes moar peekay)