Quotes

Comments

• AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited September 2013
    Khizan said:
    Ahkan said:
    I wish we were like "We have too many of this sort of class"
    No, you don't.

I've got that problem myself, and I absolutely hate the "We have too many Bards" problem, which is to say "I have a Bard on my team".

You wish you had the AM problem, which is "I have too many of this really powerful teamfighting class!", which is basically "any class at all".
    Gonna have to disagree here. I'd be thrilled to have more than five people. I don't care what profession they are. Whatever profession people want to roll, we can find a role for them in a team fight. At this point, I"m pretty sure we'll hold your hand and 'try' to teach you to code a basic offensive system. 

That's one of the things Iluv did that really impressed me and the guy deserves kudos for it. We picked up this new player. They wanted to get involved and put forth a lot of effort to get into the game. The problem is you have to build a badass tracker to use wytchen, malignist, saboteur, knight, summoner and to a lesser extent defiler. (isn't that weird. It's like all of demonic's professions). Good luck. Iluv really just handed this person his malignist system and then taught this person how it worked, how to use it, how to modify it and how to integrate it into the rest of the team's offense.

Since demonic is scraping the bottom of the barrel, it's leading to an interesting little paradigm shift that's focused on teaching and retention as opposed to omg-we-must-win-it's-your-fault-we-didn't. (Which we're all guilty of)
  • To tag onto this, we go way too long without addressing blatant issues. Those in power need to (choose one):
    1) Have classleads more often
    B) Make tweaks and balance changes between classlead rounds when it turns out something doesn't work/works too well/just needs adjusted
    I am the righteous one... 
    the claims are stated - it's the world I've created 
  • edited September 2013
    I am still a firm believer of the idea of just leaving the beta open and allowing the crop of beta testers to run the paces/hoops through classlead reports.

Let the world submit reports, but can the beta crowd at least look at how they play out on a beta mirror of the game before we release them and have to suffer them for 6mo-1yr?

EDIT: I mean, hell - think of all the bad classleads we could have avoided, even well-intentioned ones. Double Suggest? Double Dance? The peace changes? Druid nerfs still not being enough? Think of all the great classleads that get rejected because there's nobody there to argue the case during some kind of testing - impale breaking rope writhes, flick speed needing a redux.. the world would just do better with a consistent group of testers reviewing and playing around with classlead changes that Garryn approves.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • AzefelAzefel Singapore
    edited September 2013
    I'd just go have organized PK on the beta server without worrying about running out of herbs and shit
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    If there were more bards with capable systems for group combat, we'd have:

1. Almost instant CC.
    2. Quicker Ta resonance build.
    3. High Shaite Rubait damage for Cruel Lament giving burst damage a time window of less than 10 seconds, probably less.

It'll never happen though. The prejudice against bard is too great and no one wants to be in the hate boat. Let's just capsize this bastard and start new.
  • All of those things are bad.
  • Bards are dumb. I want them to get a full remake and Defiler to get a subremake. :/
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Selthis said:
    Iniar said:
    Just to be clear, I think new summoner is great. I think the admin are doing a good job. I think the timing of the releases were particularly lousy. And for the record, not that it mattered.
    To be fair, the beta had been closed for a week prior. There's only so long you can delay a release of something that's been said to be coming soon.  Was it inopportune that the CTF came at that point? Sure.  Would most of the game have rather have waited another week for the class release? Probably not.  

Unfortunately, there just isn't ever an optimal time to introduce class changes really.  Its better to get them out there in the wild and see what happens and then pester them to hold another CTF after the next round of classleads rather than waiting a full year.

The CTF could easily have been moved. It is inopportune for the players, but it's something in IRE's jurisdiction to move around. From a business perspective it communicates to me one of several things - insufficient foresight/cohesion/communication/bias. That's all. Anyway. Back to classleads.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure

• Ahkan said:
    Khizan said:
    Ahkan said:
    I wish we were like "We have too many of this sort of class"
    No, you don't.

I've got that problem myself, and I absolutely hate the "We have too many Bards" problem, which is to say "I have a Bard on my team".

You wish you had the AM problem, which is "I have too many of this really powerful teamfighting class!", which is basically "any class at all".
    Gonna have to disagree here. I'd be thrilled to have more than five people. I don't care what profession they are. Whatever profession people want to roll, we can find a role for them in a team fight. At this point, I"m pretty sure we'll hold your hand and 'try' to teach you to code a basic offensive system. 

That's one of the things Iluv did that really impressed me and the guy deserves kudos for it. We picked up this new player. They wanted to get involved and put forth a lot of effort to get into the game. The problem is you have to build a badass tracker to use wytchen, malignist, saboteur, knight, summoner and to a lesser extent defiler. (isn't that weird. It's like all of demonic's professions). Good luck. Iluv really just handed this person his malignist system and then taught this person how it worked, how to use it, how to modify it and how to integrate it into the rest of the team's offense.

Since demonic is scraping the bottom of the barrel, it's leading to an interesting little paradigm shift that's focused on teaching and retention as opposed to omg-we-must-win-it's-your-fault-we-didn't. (Which we're all guilty of)
    I'm going to say that I am willing to distribute all my systems save Assassin (Diabolist, Wytch, Summoner) for free. If you don't use Mudlet, I can help you learn as well as others in Demonic. If you want to get a hold of my Assassin system (applicable to renegades) it will cost 10,000,000 gold or 1000 credits. Why so much? I want to buy Summoner prof for my guild.
  • Lionas said:
    To tag onto this, we go way too long without addressing blatant issues. Those in power need to (choose one):
    I've tried that for a while. It resulted in rather uninspired classlead rounds, indicating that it takes some time for enough issues/requests to accumulate.
  • I'd be fine with the pace of classleads if we just had a beta server to test them on so we know if they will be a disaster or not.
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited September 2013
    I'm calling shenanigans.

The number of variables deliberately left out of this comment are approaching 9000. Pair this with basing an entire methodology on one sampling.

Sad day. Sad day indeed. Brb, finding a picture of a sad cat picture to post here. GOT IT!

The classleads have really run the same course as the betas. A lot of this is due to the fact that You (Garryn) are becoming more familiar with how this game actually works and how the player base suggest/utilize skills. You've also been more open to feedback (Summoner beta)  and communication regarding balance issues. These are all good things. Player submissions are getting better because we know what you're looking for and how to explain things to you in a manner that demonstrates the exact problem. You can't really establish a 'balance paradigm' when classleads were going through the terrible twos.

Also, if we're going to throw the word uninspired around, how many times have we gotten inspired feedback like
    -outside the scope  (explain why)
    -unnecessary  (explain why)
    -excessive  (explain why)
    -maybe (mutates into never)
    -will see how this plays out (doesn't)

If you want better classleads and better submissions, offer better feedback.
  • That is just the saddest looking cat :(

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Garryn said:
    Lionas said:
    To tag onto this, we go way too long without addressing blatant issues. Those in power need to (choose one):
    I've tried that for a while. It resulted in rather uninspired classlead rounds, indicating that it takes some time for enough issues/requests to accumulate.
    The alternative is what we have now, though.

We sit around on the forums looking at all the overpowered imbalanced anti-fun things in the game going "Wow, all this overpowered and imbalanced stuff makes the game a lot less fun. Let's hope they do some classleads or balance tweaks soon" while we listen to the crickets chirping in the Garden.

Give me an "uninspired" round of classleads over that any day of the week.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• End game, if we're doing things right, classleads SHOULD be uninspired -- because there shouldn't be much to do. Things should be balanced well, and we only have minor tweaks, QoL things, and some flavor.

I don't expect we'll ever get there, but it would be nice.
  • As a developer who blanches every time I see the ever-growing queue of 400+ tasks in my company's case reporting system, I want to question why an uninspired round of classleads is problematic. If people are scraping the bottom of the barrel, you spend a few hours closing all the uninspired reports WON'T FIX, implement the one or two legitimate problems that have cropped up in the last month, and move on with the rest of the month being personal project time. 

To me at least, that's highly preferable to waiting half a year, then receiving an entire half year of backlogged reports that consume weeks of your coding time, especially when many of these reports have impact on one another; while each individual case may have been legitimate, doing all of them at once can be unbalancing and cause even more work for you in the next round of classleads that would not have occurred with an incremental approach.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    (Ring): Lionas says, "Iniar."
    (Ring): Lionas says, "Defile my cairn."
    Uttering a curse, you kick at a crimson cairn knocking some of the stones free.
    Balance Taken: 4.20s
    (Ring): You say, "Is that it/."
    A wave of heat passes over you as a shard suddenly comes crashing into the ground from above, narrowly missing you.
    (Ring): Lionas says, "Yep."
    I <3 your cairn, @Lionas.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • edited September 2013
    Iniar said:
    (Ring): Lionas says, "Iniar."
    (Ring): Lionas says, "Defile my cairn."
    Uttering a curse, you kick at a crimson cairn knocking some of the stones free.
    Balance Taken: 4.20s
    (Ring): You say, "Is that it/."
    A wave of heat passes over you as a shard suddenly comes crashing into the ground from above, narrowly missing you.
    (Ring): Lionas says, "Yep."
    I <3 your cairn, @Lionas.

It brings good luck. Everyone should go defile it. Every hour, for maximum luck.
  • edited September 2013
    #103395By: Aymee 
    #103394By: Aymee  
    #103393By: Aymee  
    #103392By: Aymee     

All within about 4 minutes from her. Yikes.
  • Posting the content of issues on the forums is a violation of forum rules.
  • Dias is never in violation of any rules, though. :O
  • I dunno. Here's a good rule.

You can't yell at your team until you learn how to
    -Raze

Actually, who cares about the rest of this list. Lead by example. 
  • Who needs to raze when you can mindlessly mash standng ccuts?

• AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited September 2013
    A fair point, and yet...

Dias's attack rebounds off your translucent shield.

And the ball is back in play!
  • All that -and- a newb button.

Anyone met Mr. Icicles in teams? 
  • Lethargy has got to be replaced by something else. Or the Lethargy affliction reworked. To think it was originally just part of the primary skillsets and not something regulated to needing charges.

• AzefelAzefel Singapore
    edited September 2013
    or aura should just not come up like other channeled instas

and while you're at it, maybe someone should disable JOIN QUIZ when there's no quiz so Raykel won't have a free raksha band :<
  • That seems like bug abuse to escape combat, if true.
  • Up next, Sarrius' dissertation entitled, "How wet is water?"