Skip to content

The Great Library of Imperian

SylioSylio SE Ohio
edited January 2017 in General Discussion
The Great Library of Imperian - version 1.0
Thanks to its contributors: @Theophilus @Owyn @Dicene @Skifleure @Sylio

A comprehensive listing of the publicly accessible libraries of Imperian (that Sylio felt comfortable scraping data from).

Link: https://goo.gl/tTW6Y3

Want to use library data for your own purposes? Mudlet instructions for pulling data out of LIBRARY CATALOG and putting it into a spreadsheet:

1. Add the following trigger pattern (make sure to select "perl regex" from the dropdown): ^(\d+)+\s+(.+?)\s+([^\s]+)\s+ ([^\s]+)$
2. In the script editor:
deleteLine()
local sep = "|"
echo("\n" .. matches[2] .. sep .. matches[3] .. sep .. matches[4] .. sep .. matches[5].. "\n")
3. Save and activate your trigger.
4. In-game: CONFIG PAGELENGTH 250 (hopefully removing your prompt/MORE lines, unless there are a lot of books)
5. In-game: LIBRARY CATALOG
6. Copy and paste the output into Google Docs/Excel. Use the "Split text to columns" function and choose Custom as your separator, use | (a "pipe", usually found on a part of your keyboard you very rarely go).
7. Voila! With a little bit of cleanup, you have your own listing of every book in a library. Do something cool with that information.
8. In-game: CONFIG PAGELENGTH to something more reasonable, so that the next help file you read doesn't flood your screen

There are a few things I'd like to do with this data, if you or someone you know want to help, feel free to post here or make the necessary changes to the spreadsheet:
  • "Merge" entries for the same title, with ALL instances of their location in the "Locations" column (e.g. "My Book" is in Caanae and Antioch, there would just be one row for "My Book" and in the Locations column, it would say "Caanae, Antioch").
  • Highlight, in some form or fashion, titles that are only available in one location ('cause, you know, we might be losing one of these libraries sometime in the next 24-48 hours and it'd be a real shame if we lost some books forever).
Guilds, sects, other organizations or societies where the written word is valued: if you want to have your library added to this collection, message me in-game or follow the instructions above and add a sheet to the Google spreadsheet.

Comments

• Awesome work!
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."
    (Ring): Lartus says, "Then it exploded."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • SylioSylio SE Ohio
    edited January 2017
    The Great Library of Imperian - version 1.1

A comprehensive listing of the publicly accessible libraries of Imperian (that Sylio felt comfortable scraping data from).

Link: https://goo.gl/tTW6Y3

Changelog:
    • Minor formatting changes (font, font size, column width, etc.)
    • Hid all individual sheets of the workbook, leaving just two sheets visible: "All Unique Books" (previously known as "ALL") and "Titles, by Location" (see below). All other sheets are still accessible through the hamburger menu in the bottom left corner of the workbook.
    • New worksheet, "Titles, by Location" - Every unique title in the database, along with a listing of which libraries in the database have copies of that book.
    Random trivia: there are ~490 unique titles in the "public domain" of Imperian.
    More random trivia: Stavenn may want this list.

This leaves my "wishlist" for the data empty, so... what else would people like to be able to do with this data?
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Did you scrape from the guild libraries as well?
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Iniar said:

Did you scrape from the guild libraries as well?

The Diavlous allowed me to enter their library and I made a private list for them to use, if they wanted to. I wasn't able to make any contact with a Noctusari leader.

As for other guilds, I'll gladly do it for them if they'd like.