So, to keep from further derailing the Sale thread I thought i'd split myself off here about the scepters.
To reiterate, the damage comparison:
Str: 16/13 Int: 11/10 Dex: 11/10 Con: 16/14
Lvl1 broad, combo slash slash (templar):
You exert superior mental control and will your wounds to clot before your eyes.
Your aura of weapons rebounding disappears.
You slash viciously into a skeletal soldier with a shining silver broadsword.
Damage dealt: 81 Remaining: 59.45%
You swing a shining silver broadsword at a skeletal soldier with a powerful strike.
Damage dealt: 81 Remaining: 40.79%
Balance Taken: 3.82s
L2 (now) scepter, scepter point
You point a tanari scepter at a skeletal hound and a bolt of raw Sukhder energy shoots forth at
Damage dealt: 95 Remaining: 78.12%
Balance Taken: 3.20s
Attunements you can attune the scepter to:
Valid choices are: animal, demon, ghost, giant, goblin, horde (need scepter level 5), ogre, orc,
skeleton, spirit, undead (need scepter level 10), vermin, and zombie.
Attunements take quite a time to go through and can randomly attune to the wrong thing:
You attempt to attune your scepter towards targets called 'skeleton'. This will take effect within
the next 5 minutes.
Your scepter attunes itself to targets called 'ghost'. < NOT WHAT I SAID!
Damage with Attunement:
You point a tanari scepter at a skeletal soldier and a bolt of raw Sukhder energy shoots forth at
Damage dealt: 114 Remaining: 73.75%
Balance Taken: 3.20s
Attunements have a 25% miss chance at level 7, which at the market average of 25cr each represents an investment of 175cr. At level 15 they are instant and do not fail, for an investment of 375cr.
At level 2, I have yet to get the scepter to attune to something I want it to. And it isn't lying about that 5 minutes.
: It worked after about ten tries.
control dsl/lvl1 weapon = 162 / 3.82s approx= 45.40~ DPS
scepter = 95/3.20s = 28.9676 DPS
scepter w/applicable attunement = 114/3.2s = 35.625 DPS
l6 scepter = 95/(3.2*.85) approx= 34.92 DPS
l6 scepter w/applicable attunement = 114/(3.2*.85) approx= 41.91~
I can't comment on the specials because I don't have the credits to go that deep into this even if I wanted to.
* This seems a pretty significant downgrade to Anette's bashing as is. 28.9675 DPS w/scepter versus 45.40~ DPS w/DSL. This represents an approximate 36% reduction in my damage output - more than a third of my damage. Level six puts it at "only" around 1/4
* Attunement is a PITA and needing a relatively high level scepter to do undead rules out buffs from attunement in Necropolis, Zh'serurn, and other places.
* Missed attunements are a complete pain and the five minutes is overlong.
* I don't see a way to see what the current attunement is other than attaching bells and whistles to the initial message when it does attune, which makes it even more of a pain since it takes a while, can fail, and might reattune itself at random.
* Why did I pay for something that's much more work for bashing than my class skill works for what turns out to be a damage penalty?
Well, for SCIENCE! - but I wouldn't recommend anyone else get one unless you're going to go in deep.@Jeremy
et al - is this by design or is it out of whack? Because paying to take a 1/3-1/4 damage hit seems like a very silly idea.