Lots of stuff here. Keep this discussion strictly on the topics presented here. Some of the items are vague as we are mulling them over.
Obelisks and Outposts
They are not used. Instead of completely moving them into a raiding system as previously suggested, we are going to tweak the system to encourage use.
Alternative: Instead of no longer being able to protect another outpost, we increase the upkeep on outposts protecting outposts. I am leaning away from this as no one goes after obelisks right now. If it gets really active and we need slow it down we can come back it it.
- Outposts can no longer protect other outposts; only obelisks may be protected.
- Capturing an outpost destroys it.
- Increase outpost upkeep cost.
- Simplify the protection algorithm. (It's a mess)
- Re-purpose the Efficiency Obelisk power and the Efficiency Attunement.
- Review the other Obelisks powers for tweaks.
- Caravans: change the fight encounter a bit to not require prismatic barrier, as it does now
I think raiding another city is an important part of the game, which has been removed. Very little gives a rush like going into enemy territory, killing guards and players, and escaping unharmed. In the past griefing was out of control to the point it was completely made impossible in order to slow the constant guard/gold destruction. Adding in objectives will make a way for cities to 'win' without destroying morale completely and gives cities a way to 'buff' themselves. I prefer giving stolen objectives a buff vs a penalty. Getting multiple objectives from several cities will stack.
- A city may only raid another city once per game month.
- A city must declare a raid and RAID city FOR objective.
- Raiding will use X number of shards from the attacking city.
- The shard cost will not be insignificant. If you want to raid you need to be harvest shards.
- Disorients the guards so they cannot attack as fast/strong.
- Blinds the archers and telepaths.
- The raid/shard effect lasts for 20 minutes.
- It will take 5 minutes for the effect to hit the guards (warning system).
- Three objectives per city.
- Objectives will have objective points.
- TOPCITIES is changed to just reflect which city has the most objective points.
- City logs will reflect raids City has captured x objective from other city City has defended x objective from other city.
- More objective points based on the number of defenders killed/participating. Perhaps on the kill to death ratio?
- Objectives need to be evenly distributed in each org.
- CITY RETURN objective TO city: Cities can return objectives or recapture them for other cities and give them back.
Not completely sold on removing patrols and making things just work more simple. I have not had to manage guards, but I do get complaints about it. Please provide feedback on guard management. We will make guards reset and not require constant rehires though. Guards will not be as helpful in raids, but you will need them to keep "unofficial" raids from happening.
- Guards reset.
- Guards have an initial hire cost and normal monthly upkeep. No need to rehire unless you want to change your setup.
- Guards can be:
- Set to a room
- Set to a siege weapon
- Set to the barracks
- Remove patrols.
- Guards in barracks will automatically go to enemies in the city and start attacking them at a predetermined rate. For example, 5 every 5 seconds or something like that. This includes characters hiding out in houses. Need to brainstorm how this will work a bit more.
I have been thinking about this for a couple months and saw it mentioned on the forums recently. XP loss removal was originally done so that people would get involved in PK more, but I actually feel as though it has had the opposite effect. In a PvP game this has removed motivation behind killing another player/character you hate in the game. It also removes some of the thrill of fighting, as there is no personal risk. I am leaning toward putting it back in, but not at the same levels it was before.
- 1% of level max at aspect?
- Flag some areas as more risky? More XP gain/loss? Some areas as less?
- No loss while in your city. (Defending)
- Extra gain while in any city. (Defending or Attacking)
- Normal loss everywhere.
- 1% of level max?
- No XP loss in shardfalls.
- Add a open PK indicator icon to the prompt so people know they are in a shardfall?
- A possible time cap on XP loss, especially for newbs. The one off kill hurts, but multiples would not be as bad.
- Less XP loss if you hang out with Charon a little longer after you die?