Skip to content

Improving Imperian

Comments

• edited August 2013
    Sarrius said:
    This is why we should never couple roleplay devices and quality of life/combat buffs. However, we did and them's the breaks...

Do me a favor, explain to me what the discussion "Improving Imperian" is for if not for suggesting ways to improve Imperian?

We have several options on how to decouple this ubiquitous QoL buff from Roleplay and overly time consuming mechanics like bashing for belief(again, bashing 20% is a very different experience for you than it is for someone level 60 or level 80 that can only drop two hours a day into Imperian.)

Besides the shard options I brought up, we could add a 1-token ware for waterwalking, or a 50C artifact. 95% of the active bashing/questing/caravaning/pking/fishing population would find the credits to buy a pair within the first week.

This discussion is here for suggestions that would improve the experience of Imperian's players. My suggestions would do that, some of them would bring in a short little burst of revenue as well, and all would do so without negatively impacting anybody's experience. Hell, you can even leave the ritual there for people that prefer 15 minutes of bashing over a shard/gold/credit/dollar cost.

Edit: Did I mention none of those suggestions should require any significant amount of code; they should all be remarkably easy and quick to implement.
  • There's a mount option and a sect ritual that both have this functionality. If you want something useful as waterwalking, getting a mount or using the sect ritual is a decent cost to it.  Waterwalking is powerful enough that I don't think it needs to be globally available for a trivial cost.

There are a lot of things that would be active "improvements" to most people, but we don't implement them because "would make people happy" and "would be better for the game" do not always go together. 

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Swimming mounts don't give you waterwalking unless you learn up to Mount in Taming. That is approximately 291 Lessons, or 48.5 Bound Credits. And Sarrius' entire argument is that dropping points on it as a sect ritual, then dropping 20% each time you log(or get disconnected) is a trivial cost.

You're okay with me dropping 49 credits into Taming and paying 10k(another credit) on a mount that lets me waterwalk, but you're not okay with me paying 50 credits for an artifact that does the same without the annoying restriction of staying mounted all the time(which restricts things that Labil is arguing we should have access to while mounted) and would allow me to caravan through water(I think mount waterwalking prevents this?). I just don't see it.
  • There are perks. Like lasers on ducks. Perks are improvements on pre-existing mechanics.

There are quality of life upgrades, like not drowning when you're fording the river. This are generally free.

Your idea is quacking.

• edited August 2013
    Dicene said:

Besides the shard options I brought up, we could add a 1-token ware for waterwalking, or a 50C artifact. 95% of the active bashing/questing/caravaning/pking/fishing population would find the credits to buy a pair within the first week.
    Dicene said:
    Swimming mounts don't give you waterwalking unless you learn up to Mount in Taming. That is approximately 291 Lessons, or 48.5 Bound Credits

So, um. What's the problem?

That aside, I'm okay with Taming and not your 50 credit artifact because Taming has decent restrictions on waterwalking and the 50cr artifact doesn't. Your argument is basically "I don't want to take the few seconds to swim and I'd like to be able to just walk out of combat-floods, so they should add this for basically nothing."

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• So let me get this straight. In the middle of discussions to revamp focus, purge, and mini-skills, after having just taken away xp-loss on death, and after having Labil(and I thought others) come out in favor of making mount prevent fewer skills, I suggest that we keep roughly the same credit cost of the current solution, but take away the awkwardness of forcing mounts on everyone(everyone that isn't in a sect or doesn't like the idea of spending 20 minutes bashing creepers every time they log in just for waterwalking), and somehow it's a bad idea because it's too easy-mode?

The only place where this would have any effect on combat would be making things like flood rings slightly less useful(still prevents tumble, and you always use flood in conjunction with walls anyway), allowing traps without losing waterwalking(can't lay traps in flooded or water rooms anyway, so not a big deal there), and allowing Hunters and Druids to Leap in water-rooms(post-Mage revamp, we can do this currently with waterwalking shoes).

Everybody already has access to waterwalking in one form or another, I'm just trying to take out the parts that everyone hates(forced mount or 20-minutes of bashing per log-in), and keep the effective credit-cost. The only argument I'm hearing back is either "we don't want everyone to have it" or "we want it to have annoying side-effects or requirements". Also, a 50 credit artifact isn't by any means free, but if you think that's too cheap for a permanent waterwalking effect, don't dismiss it without a second thought, come up with a more appropriate price?
  • AzefelAzefel Singapore
    Eventually we'll just condense PK into the ATTACK syntax too, before moving on to AUTOOFFENCE ON. No point resisting, I guess.
  • Right? I mean, that's what happened after vialbelts, and autocuring, and inline envenoming, and endurance/willpower changed, and simpler professions system, and...
  • What you are asking for is for something to be even easier for the same expense. It is already easy enough. If you want waterwalking, buy a mount and learn Mount. If you want better waterwalking, join a sect. I don't see what an improvement this would be.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited August 2013
    Sarrius said:
    If you aren't in a sect or a cult, you are willingly making the decision to mechanically disadvantage yourself

Dicene said:
    I'm just trying to take out the parts that everyone hates(forced mount or 20-minutes of bashing per log-in)

I don't hate it...

And the kicker.

image <- 50 cr artifact

Ok, I'm done now.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • I'm okay with forced mount if I want to waterwalk. Mildly annoying if I don't have a class pet that can rat, but whatever.

I'm less okay with you can't touch use this ability while mounted. I can DSL a dwarf while I, a Xiur, am mounted but, by the queen of england, apparently the realism involved in kneeling close to a body to draw the heart (a basic mechanic for a class) makes it necessary to dismount.
  • AzefelAzefel Singapore
    edited August 2013
    Also I don't hate forced mount, don't "everyone" that shit!

• Make it so you can configure when healthinfo and manainfo tick. I'd like mine to show only when the change in health and mana is over 10 or 15.
  • AzefelAzefel Singapore
    edited September 2013
    <cmud>
      <trigger name="health/mana info" priority="955120" regex="true" copy="yes">
        <pattern>^(Mana|Health) (Gain|Lost): (\d+)</pattern>
        <value>#if %3&lt;11 {
      #gag
      gag=1
    } {
      $p=%format(2,(%format(2,%3)*100/@max.%1))
      #sub {%ansi(%if(%left(%1,1)=M,1,2))%left(%1,1) %ansi(15)%if(%2=Gain,"+","-")%3 %ansi(8)[%ansi(7)$p~%%ansi(8)]}
    }</value>
      </trigger>
      <trigger priority="9999999" regex="true" prompt="true" copy="yes">
        <pattern>^@prompt.*\n@prompt</pattern>
        <value>#if @gag {#gag -1}
    gag=0</value>
      </trigger>
    </cmud>

for cmud :(

if you have a prompt variable with the start of your prompt in it
  • Ya I did it for myself in Mudlet after posting.
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    Let us choose which team we can be on in teamffa please. People are already siding with whomever they want regardless which team they're put on as it is.
  • I asked Jeremy if he was going to do what Khizan suggested and he said it was on his list!
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    edited September 2013
    Even with teams being made by your giant pool, people who didn't want to be on their e given team will be lame and cluster with the team they wanted to be with, and the chosen team has no problem with it.e
  • I will eventually make a chance to the team ffa selection process. We are just trying to finish up a few other things first.

• Jeremy said:
    I will eventually make a chance to the team ffa selection process. We are just trying to finish up a few other things first.
    I wasn't nagging at you, good sir. I was shooting down enemy invaders from the planet Noooooooooooooooooope.
  • Similar note, there is achievements for most arena games but not for teamffa or koth. Having this would be nice in terms of more variety. And it might get more people interested in koth which I think is a pretty fun team game.

• Can you just add a player circle thing to gmcp.char.status plz :(

Too lazy to write a check for city/guild/sect. Only want this so people stop breaking my system cause they're terribad :(
  • VivianneVivianne Atlanta, GA
    Dropping hazeward/monolith sigils and throwing eye/knife sigils with selfishness up please!
  • This is sort of an old complaint, but can we have some of this crap removed? (Since we're not actually removing passive pets from the game)

Ageranu barks at a brooding vulture, ordering it to attack you.
    Ageranu barks at an ebony raven, ordering it to attack you.
    Ageranu barks at a tiny cactus wren, ordering it to attack you.
    Ageranu gives a leather wrapped spear a quick flourish before driving it forcefully into your body.
    Rebounding. Durr.
    The icy coating on Ageranu's spear leaches into himself's wound, chilling him.
    The cold air strips the protection of Ageranu's caloric salve.

• Since vialbelts are a thing, can we have giftbags like:

"vial301770"              a teakwood vial (lindane)
    "vial301771"              a birchwood vial (digitalis)
    "vial301772"              a cedarwood vial (chloroform)
    "vial301773"              a cedarwood vial (digitalis)
    "vial301774"              a cedarwood vial (veratrum)
    "vial301778"              a cherry wood vial (botulinum)
    "vial301779"              a teakwood vial (aconite)
    "vial301780"              a teakwood vial (benzedrine)
    "vial301782"              a teakwood vial (aspartame)
    "vial301783"              a cedarwood vial (aconite)
    "vial301785"              a black-walnut vial (lindane)

Become vialbelts with this in it?

The vialbelt holds:
    ALL THE TOXINS (1000 doses)
  • Not being a coder this might be an unimplementable idea... but, something I would appreciate are class mobs that you can hit like a player with all of your skills. It would help newbies learn to figure out what to look for in a fight against certain classes and help them learn to use the skills in their repertoire. Seems like the coding required for this might be pretty steep though and maybe attentions are better directed elsewhere?
  • Ahkan said:

Since vialbelts are a thing, can we have giftbags like:

"vial301770"              a teakwood vial (lindane)
    "vial301771"              a birchwood vial (digitalis)
    "vial301772"              a cedarwood vial (chloroform)
    "vial301773"              a cedarwood vial (digitalis)
    "vial301774"              a cedarwood vial (veratrum)
    "vial301778"              a cherry wood vial (botulinum)
    "vial301779"              a teakwood vial (aconite)
    "vial301780"              a teakwood vial (benzedrine)
    "vial301782"              a teakwood vial (aspartame)
    "vial301783"              a cedarwood vial (aconite)
    "vial301785"              a black-walnut vial (lindane)

Become vialbelts with this in it?

The vialbelt holds:
    ALL THE TOXINS (1000 doses)
    As long as we can still get artivials.

• I have a better idea. 

Let's just get rid of vials entirely. They're useless at this point.

• IniarIniar Australia
    Khizan said:
    I have a better idea. 

Let's just get rid of vials entirely. They're useless at this point.
    Agree. Can I have 100% refund. :>
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure