Skip to content

Improving Imperian

Comments

• I really appreciate the work you do, @Eoghan
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."
    (Ring): Lartus says, "Then it exploded."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • This could possibly exacerbate current issues, but what if there were purple shards that fully convert a leyline in whatever direction? They'd be as rare, if not rarer than greens and yellows, depending on how they affect the competition I guess.

• Alternatively you could reset leylines every (ballpark?) 4 game years, if you want it to be more fluid and keep people invested. Alternatively could have up to x leylines have a chance to neutralise every X rl days or something. Purely brainstorming, haven't really thought through implications.
  • I still think cosmetic changes would help drive motivation (on top of the surge stuff being worked on).

I like purple shards, although they should be yellow cause of the leyline color) >.> Shrine ones can be grey like the soul-crushing agony of fighting in relics.

For resets/pushing people to go after uncontested intersections, maybe flag one or two every so often as 'volatile' with more impact per influence?

• edited February 2017
    Adding in some aesthetic rewards for securing objectives during raids would be cool.

Like, for example... if your city mob is captured, guards will say things randomly upon entrance or ambiently demonstrating their fear and worry. Or maybe guards of the opposing city are posted outside of your gates, and harass you for 10 seconds before you can enter your city. Maybe a line is added in certain rooms demonstrating destruction from war like the "twisted under demonic influence" line in Khandava forest. Maybe rubble is found at certain exits or at the entrance of the city. These are just some ideas to encourage creative thinking..

More perks/rewards that affect people at the individual level (unlike increasing guard upkeep cost) would be cool, too.
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • Adding in some aesthetic rewards for securing objectives during raids would be cool.

Like, for example... if your city mob is captured, guards will say things randomly upon entrance or ambiently demonstrating their fear and worry. Or maybe guards of the opposing city are posted outside of your gates, and harass you for 10 seconds before you can enter your city. Maybe a line is added in certain rooms demonstrating destruction from war like the "twisted under demonic influence" line in Khandava forest. Maybe rubble is found at certain exits or at the entrance of the city. These are just some ideas to encourage creative thinking..

More perks/rewards that affect people at the individual level (unlike increasing guard upkeep cost) would be cool, too.

As someone who doesn't raid and is generally not into that type of game play, all of the above would actually immerse players like me into the after effects of raiding. Because right now, all I see are the same world wide messages/notices it is happening. I'm not a part of it, but I know it is happening.

Then I go into Antioch and Kinsarmar and everything looks hunky dory and the same, even though I know Antioch just went HAM. These ideas are top notch.
    You say, "Oh crap."
    You say, "My bottle is empty."
    Jeremy raises an eyebrow questioningly.
    Jeremy slaps you on the cheek.
  • 14) (2017/02/20 03:12) An elite Muamrite archer: "Kinsarmar is nothing more than a backwater for we
    hold their statue from them."
    16) (2017/02/20 07:12) An elite Muamrite archer: "Powerful is the city of Antioch. Kinsarmar can do
    nothing to us."
    17) (2017/02/20 11:12) An elite Antioch cleric: "Antioch is clearly superior to Kinsarmar having
    claimed their statue."
    18) (2017/02/20 13:47) An elite Justicar of the Shah: "Kinsarmar must lament the loss of their
    statue. Antioch is a great force in the world!"
    19) (2017/02/20 17:47) Leia, the Metalworker: "Powerful is the city of Antioch. Kinsarmar can do
    nothing to us."
  • (Kinsarmar): A sinewy sidhe worker says, "Antioch brazenly mocks us. They openly defile our monument and refuse to return it."

When the hell did this happen...? I thought I had an original idea :'(

• Its been that way since we got the statue, so probably since release I'd guess.
  • Well, it's a good start (though some of the lines are a bit.. cheesy [sorry to whoever created them--just an honest critique]).

Lots more aesthetic changes possible.

Also.. achievements for being part of a successful raid?

• What's the status of caravans? I need them for achievements. When are they going to be viable again?

• A few rounds of changes were made in mid January (see here and here) that appeared to make them viable. We asked for specific feedback should they not be effective, and haven't received any. Note that they are not intended to be soloable.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • I literally made a post about caravans four days ago, Theophilus. We did try them again in their new incarnation and it went fairly well. We submitted an idea and messaged Dec about it. If you want to do caravans then bring it up IG ~~~
     You say, "This is much harder than just being a normal person."
  • Caravans have been revised and confirmed doable by a single player and sentries. A good single player will be able to make the sentries last for a few caravans. Otherwise the idea is that you'll need more people, but it's certainly viable. I did implement the idea referenced by Oystir, which was to make the main guard not attack when you can't attack him back. I did make the main guard harder to kill to keep things interesting though.
  • FYI, Oystir, Caryssa, Josslynn, and I did caravans earlier. A couple of deaths occurred, but it was manageable. Thanks for the work on it.

The only thing that still sucks is that only those with WAR powers can CALL SENTRIES, so to solo you have to be granted those privs. Doubtful you'll want to change this, but just an observation.

• Decrease the decay time of charms for the UW significantly. Considering how easy they are to generate, making them last much more than an in-game month is insane, because they just pile up in rooms for up to an entire week.

• With so many raids and bounties going up, I really, really think it would be nice if green shard occurrences were increased. I have literally never even seen one in game.

• A skill or ability to see who has recently influenced a leyline would be helpful.

That way, if someone influences a leyline in your protectorate (Desert, Khandava/Celidon Forest, Vardarian, Bardosi), you can kill them for it.

• Start tracking assists, and make PK assists follow the same logic as bosses (can die/move and still get the assist credit). Open up healers, ranged users, assist affers, etc and save the poor first targets from feeling like they wasted time. More stats and achievements are always nice, too.

And try to kill* ftfy :3

• I brought up ranged kills before when I was a Ranger. The way kills are tracked restricts this somehow iirc.

• With so many raids and bounties going up, I really, really think it would be nice if green shard occurrences were increased. I have literally never even seen one in game.
    Bounties have existed for longer than green shards, and haven't seemed to be a problem. Green shards have a large impact outside of bounties. They're pretty powerful. We aren't going to increase their occurrence, sorry.

Caelya said:
    Decrease the decay time of charms for the UW significantly. Considering how easy they are to generate, making them last much more than an in-game month is insane, because they just pile up in rooms for up to an entire week.
    I've set new drops to decay after (approximately) one in-game month. I elected not to apply this to charms that have already dropped (like those stocked in shops).

Gjarrus said:
    Start tracking assists, and make PK assists follow the same logic as bosses (can die/move and still get the assist credit). Open up healers, ranged users, assist affers, etc and save the poor first targets from feeling like they wasted time. More stats and achievements are always nice, too.

And try to kill* ftfy :3

This would be a HUGE project, and just isn't something that we would prioritize over the other large things we already have planned. Sorry.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • I wouldn't want it placed above updating shards, obelisks, etc., but it seems pretty vital to me as a PvP thing. IIt's a bit hard for me to imagine how offensive assist tracking would take much, though :/
  • A skill or ability to see who has recently influenced a leyline would be helpful.

That way, if someone influences a leyline in your protectorate (Desert, Khandava/Celidon Forest, Vardarian, Bardosi), you can kill them for it.
    So here's my math on that: I think that people should actively fight over them and defend them in person, rather than know they can just get retribution after the fact. They're pretty fluid objectives to begin with, so you can always take them back and watch for someone to try to steal it from you.
  • By the time the leyline hits 50% and alerts you, you have <10s to get there before you're below the hill, and not much longer before they just get it to 100 and leave. I think the one time I've gotten to an influencer is when Lost Forest switched and I moradeim focused to Curran instantly on a good guess. You'd have to camp them to get active fights.
  • It would be nice if SHOUTS showed the last 10 shouts... I know it was said before that shouts aren't recorded this way intentionally, but I'm not sure what the reasoning behind that is. It's easy for them to get lost in spam, and difficult to track in tabbed chat due to the variety of messages.

If anything, maybe a 100 cr artifact to make it possible?

• edited March 2017
    Yells and shouts are intended to be throw-away area/world-wide conversation, rather than be considered a channel per se. They aren't tracked because we just like the idea that not all communication has a log you can check, in the same way you can't check SAYS to see the last few things said in the room.
  • Any reason we can't get a gold share for rings?
  • edited March 2017
    Up the minimum bet for roulette and blackjack please. Please, allow me to be the gold sink that Imperian desperately needs. While you're at it, is there anyway we can do more than 1 bet at a time in roulette? RL roulette lets you do any number of bets you like.
    You say, "Oh crap."
    You say, "My bottle is empty."
    Jeremy raises an eyebrow questioningly.
    Jeremy slaps you on the cheek.
  • 'ii silver' should traditionally show all keyword matches in inventory...it only currently shows the actual item (such as if you ii ring you get rings) it's just easier to find things in my inventory that way!! If it's supposed to already and it's a bug....oh

Also with selfishness. Anyway we could get a confirm ability? 

With selfishness up you can give item to fanglor confirm 
  • Fanglor said:
    'ii silver' should traditionally show all keyword matches in inventory...it only currently shows the actual item (such as if you ii ring you get rings) it's just easier to find things in my inventory that way!! If it's supposed to already and it's a bug....oh

Also with selfishness. Anyway we could get a confirm ability? 

With selfishness up you can give item to fanglor confirm 
    II shows items of the matching item type. If you want to match the appearance of the item, you can use II TITLED <whatever>

The inability to give items while selfish, even when you want to, is a deliberate drawback. You'll have to remove selfishness (using GENEROSITY), sorry.