Skip to content

Improving Imperian

Comments

• Khizan said:
    Why credits?

I can understand banks but credits are inherently a metagamey kind of issue and it is really stupidly irritating to have to traipse back to the council room every time somebody buys credits. 
    The city credit account is still an organizational account, just like coffers and ministries funds and the bank.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • If you try to summon your icewyrm while it is in the room with you, it still takes eq and gives the same message as if it is not in the room. Could it just fail without cost if it's already in the room?

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Fish people should have fishtails :(  Please?  
  • So I already bugged this but this is something everyone should be aware of. If you have hidetitles enabled and someone in your room sits or is prone, they will not show up in the room description.
  • Iluv said:
    So I already bugged this but this is something everyone should be aware of. If you have hidetitles enabled and someone in your room sits or is prone, they will not show up in the room description.
    This should all be fixed now.

• Imperian is suffering either from a shortage of Approvers, or a record level of ones doing no approving (or rejecting). It's taking far, far too long to even get two approvals, let alone the required three. Alend (if she still exists) doesn't answer her mail anymore, nor does the Crafters email. I talk to other crafters and I here the same thing. I'm feeling a lot of not undue frustration with the entire system right now. We need more approvers, or we need approvers that approve more, whether it requires opening for applications more often, or raising the pay rate to entice them to do the work, something needs to change.
  • Let people approve without the crafting skills if they pass a grammar test or something. I don't care enough about crafting to drop credits on the skills, but I'm good enough at proofreading to approve things. 

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Arakis said:
    Imperian is suffering either from a shortage of Approvers, or a record level of ones doing no approving (or rejecting). It's taking far, far too long to even get two approvals, let alone the required three. Alend (if she still exists) doesn't answer her mail anymore, nor does the Crafters email. I talk to other crafters and I here the same thing. I'm feeling a lot of not undue frustration with the entire system right now. We need more approvers, or we need approvers that approve more, whether it requires opening for applications more often, or raising the pay rate to entice them to do the work, something needs to change.
    First off, yes, Alend still exists. Her preferred communication method is messages, as it is easier to be responsive there, but she does also check her email. I've checked with her, and the only email she hasn't responded to recently is regarding an issue that she has responded to repeatedly in messages, so no response was needed.

Regarding approvals in general, the rate of approval has indeed been low over the last month or so, and it's something that multiple people (Alend obviously included) keep an eye on. Generally, we feel that the rate of approvals doesn't warrant concern if the average time in queue is five days or less. While the number has trended up lately (mostly due to the summer, a time when the average number of approvals always falls), the last week has seen the number drifting higher.

We've had several calls for approvers go unheeded in the recent past, and have generally expanded approvals for approvers that wish to take on more tradeskills. It's a tough thing for us - mortal volunteer programs can only run as smoothly as we have appropriate, approvable volunteers to participate in them. We've been considering reevaluating the criteria, but have not yet decided on any changes.

Khizan said:
    Let people approve without the crafting skills if they pass a grammar test or something. I don't care enough about crafting to drop credits on the skills, but I'm good enough at proofreading to approve things. 
    It isn't quite that simple. There are many crafting-related issues beyond basic grammar checking, because crafting has a large number of rules to keep the overall quality of items in Imperian (especially player-crafted items) high, not all of them well documented or codified (this failure of documentation is difficult to address because the rules have existed for a long time and are generated or clarified as issues arise, but it's something that we're trying to gradually improve). It's difficult to appropriately approve or reject designs without first having been a crafter and interacting with the system enough to know what is and isn't an appropriate design.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • DimitriDimitri Somewhere cold
    It also helps those of us with fledgling descriptive abilities to have seasoned/veteran/experienced crafters doing the reviews beyond basic proofreading, as (for me anyway) it helps huge in terms of getting practice at doing descriptions 'right'. So while, yeah, i've got a design that's been sitting at 2/3rds of approval, im in no real hurry to have it approved fully. Largely because i'm staring at a different design and its related rejection notes and going 'how in the world do i fix this, because i don't know how, and ohmyboxersdesigningisnteasy'
  • edited July 2016
    Achievements continue to be a bizarrely powerful motivator for a fair number of people.  People will want an achievement even if they truly hate the activity that is tied to the achievement, and the overall tendency is often sort of miserable, although it can occasionally have some upsides.

The problem is all of the PK-related achievements, really.  For example, believe it or not, people want plague achievements now... It makes no sense to me and I would have trouble believing it if I didn't see it regularly and repeatedly.  

I am not sure what the answer is.  I think one thing would be to call all PK-related achievements something else.  Maybe.  In addition, maybe try not to make the achievement rewards anything people who don't PK regularly would want. 

Basically, tempt people to do things they like and the achievement should be like a cherry on top.  Don't tempt them into doing things they actually don't like but oh god must have achievement.  
  • Jules :(:(:(:(

Achievements getting people to step out of their comfort zone is a good thing. 

• edited July 2016
    I don't think that's how it's working out with these though.  These people aren't suddenly discovering their love of PK, they're just laser-focused on ticking whatever box, and the PK is like a super annoying fly that just won't die.    

EDIT:  To put a finer point on it, the low level ones are probably good as is.  It can be good for those to have universal appeal for the reason you mention.  A prime example of one I consider problematic is 10K shard achievement.  I wish we could just grandfather the guys currently working on that one, and then remove it from achievements and maybe give people who earn it some nice consumables (ones that already exist of course).  That means there is no box to tick, and also nothing that is collectible, but someone who just decided they liked shardfalls early on is probably going to go "neat, I can use this".  

That's not going to work for everything.  Plagues... you might just be stuck.  Plagues are high prestige all around.  But you can't take away all of super cool things just so that people won't be tempted.  
  • Jules I ideaed the 100k shard achievement specifically so Ultrix would keep coming to shardfalls. You stop right there.
  • Septus said:
    Jules I ideaed the 100k shard achievement specifically so Ultrix would keep coming to shardfalls. You stop right there.
    It's true. I was hoping his idea would get rejected on the ground of 'variable overflow' or some other technical limitation, but alas. 
  • Leave it to Septus to invent idea griefing.  
  • Did we ever get an answer to why shardfalls keep falling in the same areas over and over? Would be nice to get more variety.
  • Oh right, that. Hopefully fixed now.
  • Quality of life change for assassin/renegade bashing: puncturing with trioxin doesn't actually consume the trioxin when used against mobs.
  • Ultrix said:
    Septus said:
    Jules I ideaed the 100k shard achievement specifically so Ultrix would keep coming to shardfalls. You stop right there.
    It's true. I was hoping his idea would get rejected on the ground of 'variable overflow' or some other technical limitation, but alas. 
    It must be done

• It'd still be nice to be able to wear multiple assembly pieces (multiple crowns, chokers, etc.) and be able to switch between them with a simple command, instead of it defaulting to the one worn first.
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."
    (Ring): Lartus says, "Then it exploded."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • Do you wear multiple hats?
  • You are wearing:
    "aryanacrown78075" a fluctuating crown of Aryana
    "crown139098" a paper crown for the Anti-Magick's King of Love
    "lightningcrown238466" a fluctuating crown of lightning
    "sukhdercrown304869" a fluctuating crown of Sukhder

You could say that.
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."
    (Ring): Lartus says, "Then it exploded."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • edited August 2016
    Can we have boneyard bone removing restricted to those who hold champion?

It would encourage more people to hold champion and implement a level of risk towards removing a bone.

Currently, a player can remove bone without holding champion and being caught in the act has no loss on the remover.
  • So there's an Angelic Medallion and a Demonic Sigil but why is there no Magick equivalent?
  • Iluv said:

So there's an Angelic Medallion and a Demonic Sigil but why is there no Magick equivalent?

Those are just a couple of the original artifact we made on Imperian that we pull out every now and then. We could put together a more Magick sided one as well I suppose.

• Since guilds are no longer of consequence to newbies, can we get the Guilds category in NWHO replaced with City/Council, and list which org they belong to? This can be useful for seeing if someone is in your circle without the use of the website's honours or gmcp.

• Caelya said:

Since guilds are no longer of consequence to newbies, can we get the Guilds category in NWHO replaced with City/Council, and list which org they belong to? This can be useful for seeing if someone is in your circle without the use of the website's honours or gmcp.

Done

• I've split off the lengthening discussion on game focus into another thread so as to not clutter this one. Pop over to http://forums.imperian.com/discussion/770/improving-imerian-split-shifting-focus to continue that topic.
  • Requests for shrine changes are outside the scope of this thread. This thread is intended for non-combat impacting quality of life improvements to imperian. I've split off the shrine discussion:
    http://forums.imperian.com/discussion/774/improving-imerian-split-relics-and-affliction