Skip to content

Clueless

Comments

• So, I am considering playing in the magick circle again and picking up a second profession on a character. Primarily, I want a decent bashing class with utility, and my mind goes straight to Bard. Is this still the (a) superior bashing class of the circle? I know Runeguard can tank and keep up, but I also don't intend to pick up Smithing/Artistry (at least right away), and don't tend to have the gold on alts to throw away on weapons and whatnot. How would you rank the professions of the magick circle in terms of bashing?

Remember, I am spoiled by Predator/Wardancer/Monk.
  • You don't actually need Smithing as Runeguard, at all. Runemastery more than makes up for it.

Bard was the superior bashing class at a time when they did percentile damage with their bashing attacks.

I have heard that Druid might actually be a decent bashing class.
    1. Druid
    2. Runeguard
    3. Hunter
    4. Bard
    5. Mage
    6. Assassin

Druid has the most DPS, Runeguard has the most tank.

Druid and Runeguard also both have the advantage that they can roll Strong statpack without any real loss of group effectiveness in shardfalls and such, and that they can also be combat-effective at low skill levels(for shardfalls and such, at least). 

Hunter syncs up well with Athletic, PvPishly, so it's not reliant on Fragile Fast, but it's fairly fragile compared to Druid and Runeguard. The bashing speed is pretty solid, though. 

I have no idea about Bard and Mage, but they're both relegated to Intelligent and so get a low ranking from me. Assassin is stuck in fast for PvP purposes and so gets the lowest ranking from me.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Assassin as Athletic does well enough. Also, puncture damage is static, and preservable trioxin is a godsend, even if not specifically compared with the old puncture.
  • Mage is pretty bad for bashing, in its current state. I have no idea if that will hold true after the update.
  • On the character in question, I already have Mage and the bashing is making me want to cry. I'm tempted by Runeguard or Hunter (just because I already have Druid on another character), and while I'm leaning toward Runeguard, I tend to suck at any of the knight professions across the board (and I just tend to suck at any professions across the board).
  • The problem is that Mage only shares statpacks with Bard; an intellidruid sucks, as does an intellihunter and an intelliknight.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• I'm sitting as a clever Mage with a free reincarnation. At this point, I am almost prepared to just sit on Mage until the revamp to see what I think while investing in a bashing profession in the meantime.
  • MenochMenoch Raleigh, NC, USA
    Clever knight bashing isn't terrible, and while your con is pretty suck, with runemastery and weathering you're looking a bit better, and I'm sure you've at least got bracelets. +1 balance means a fast sabre is your friend, or claymore it up and flare some sowulu. You'll just always look at fast and cry though.
  • Renegade bashing is miserable. Not tanky and you've got a cap of something like 27 DPS max with Trioxin. Terrible stuff.

Hunter has treated me very well. As Athletic, Tri-trans, with no artifacts or other mods, I'm getting about 36 DPS. Every point in strength is another 5 damage, so another 2DPS. L3 guantlets, Runes, Benevolence put you at about 46. You could go over 50 with things like Modulation, Songs, and Highfavours. Can't forget Weathering, Vitality, Bounty, Resistance, and Scout from Pioneering, along with Resurrect in Supremacy for hunting in groups or with lowbies that die a lot. And last but not least, Deadaim for increased crits. At Aspect in Athletic with no arti's at all, 500+ life with just runes and weathering, and claw is 2.43s with NatureAura up, so any dying is my fault. I'd think you'd be around 380 health or so doing about 30 DPS with no buffs whatsoever as Clever, so that's still better than Renegade!
  • edited July 2013
    "While a novice, exploring and learning the world can be very rewarding but necessary skills should be learned as follows:

Survival up to Treading (0% Apprentice or 9 lessons)

Wyrmriding up to Icebreath (0% Adept or 90 lessons)

Trailblazing up to Barkskin (40% Capable or about 56 lessons)

**If you did not take the introduction, you should learn 16 lessons in survival to get up to treading.**

You should not learn past the skills listed above until given permission by a guild elder, or you will be put on probation. Please do not seek to gain automatic promotion through novicehood. Our novice 'requirements' are simple, and we simply want to ensure that you are ready to be a full guild member, and also that you feel the Sentinels are a good fit for you."
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

I thought that they axed that kind of noise in all of the IRE games, thus why they put in automatic promotion mechanics?
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    Bard bashing is give and take if you have aspect. Even with my l3 sip ring surcoat l1 bracelets and l1 shield, including being able to heal with llan, if there are 3 or more mobs in a room, I'm screwed.
  • Automatic promotion was really needed, no doubt. That said, some people rush through novicehood, and then are left with NO IDEA of how are they supposed to behave, what to do next, etc.

They can't forbid you from learning, but probation prevents you from like... reading the guild news?

So long as you have ample opportunities to advance by regular channels, ie, enough people around to advance you, don't see a problem.

We have come a long way from the times when 'Wait a RL week before we consider letting you start to write your 400 words essay' was the norm.

• While  probation doesn't mean much, they still shouldn't be using it if you learn past that stuff.  Honestly,who cares  if  they don't understand  the  guild very much.  That should be rolled into getting them to gr2 which should be short and easy as well.  

People play the game for fun, not to be put on probation because they wanted to see what cool new skill they get next.  But it is the sentinels  so no shock there.
  • Wasn't a similar complaint aired about the Dunestriders recently? Is it something about the Outrider profession that puts people in this old-school mindset?

Guilds should not be trying to prevent novices from learning or graduating from novicehood, period. Was the signal from the administration, which repeatedly added mechanics to circumvent this stuff, not loud enough?

• edited July 2013
    Mathiaus said:
    Bard bashing is give and take if you have aspect. Even with my l3 sip ring surcoat l1 bracelets and l1 shield, including being able to heal with llan, if there are 3 or more mobs in a room, I'm screwed.
    Just get dual trans runeguard. Run into 8 mobs inside necropolis (Disregarding wights) and proceed to kill each and every one of them. - Never tried with fullplate though, couldn't be ass'd getting forging.

(Plus Bard sucks, lol)

PS. That's without any artefacts whatsoever.
  • Fullplate's stat are static. No attempts to get a good fullplate whatsoever.

Mathiaus used to play RG.
  • Labil said:
    Fullplate's stat are static. No attempts to get a good fullplate whatsoever.

Mathiaus used to play RG.
    Am aware of what he used to play. I was speaking in general terms, not telling him to go and do that.
  • I chose Runeguard. It's pretty decent bashing. I enjoy it ten times more than Mage.
  • edited July 2013
    Anyone know what causes occasional dramatic entrances like these?

Your senses flare as a luminous green image drifts in from the northeast, its appearance sharpening to reveal Baasche, riding a downy black ostrich.

Your eyes begin to squint as the room is engulfed in a bright light, announcing the arrival of Dias floating upon translucent angelic wings.

I'd imagine it's related to aspect, but no clue why it only rarely shows up.
  • You have lifesense or lifevision, which allows you to see things in a crazy Alien vs. Predator heatvision mode. It's cloaked/hidden people.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • Ah. It's pretty awesome. When I first saw it in one of Azefel's logs, thought he was subbing custom, really awesome entrance messages.
  • The second one is just Dias' angel sigil.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • It's actual Phantasmic Diadem. I didn't have the horde of credits to get the angel or demonic sigil stuff. I forget to put windwalk on a lot.
  • So, I've been having trouble with mudbot defences, and have been too lazy to fix them until now. However, whatever I try and do doesn't seem to be working. For instance, in the data file, I've tried to add in the deathsight messages:

# Deathsight.
    "Your mind has been touched by Thanatos, God of Death." special defence deathsight give X C
    "God of Death, form in your mind." special defence deathsight give
    "later, you feel inextricably linked with Death itself." special defence deathsight give
    "Your mind is already touched by the God of Death." special defence deathsight give
    "You are no longer attuned to the Underworld." special defence deathsight take
    "Your mind has been attuned to Dis." special defence deathsight give
    "You shut your eyes and concentrate. A moment later, you feel inextricably linked" special defence deathsight give <--- New one I added

But it doesn't seem to register this at all. Why is this?

Similarly, how can I add new defences onto the data? I've tried 

D defence "Scales" x needy takebalance A "wyvern scales" L 3

As well as adding 

# Scales.
    "Eyes downcast, you concentrate and summon thick scales to protect your" special defence scales give
    "You are protected by wyvern scales" special defence scales give

But it doesn't seem to do anything at all, besides make the console say there's no such defence, "scales" found.
  • NaharlNaharl USA
    edited September 2013
    @ Gurn,

In the first one, I assume that the line doesn't end at "linked." You can end it with the wildcard character * or match the line entirely, while using wrapwidth 0.

Example:
    "You shut your eyes and concentrate. A moment later, you feel inextricably linked*" special defence deathsight give

For the second one, a defence name has to match the case. Scales should be lower case in the definition:

D defence "scales" x needy takebalance A "wyvern scales" L 3

I notice you use a lot of cut-off lines in your additions. You should make sure that it actually matches up if that's your preference. It has to match exactly with the way it's written in mudbot, or it won't accept it.
  • How much grace abuse do I have to commit in order to lose it permanently?
  • Now that the timer is there, they're loathe to uphold most grace abuse issues. If it's a blatant thing (using it to infiltrate a city repeatedly while masked, etc), the answer is "Enough times for me to compare you to Dias".
    I am the righteous one... 
    the claims are stated - it's the world I've created 
  • Dias lost the ability to be Graced for abusing Grace.

But he then gained the ability to be Graced for ~2 minutes, because I got a bunch of people together and spawncamped him. 

Now I don't think they remove Grace at all, because it's automatically dropping grace makes it something of a non-issue in all but the most extreme cases.

• I just want to not have grace anymore, it's a significant delay in rejoining combat :<