Skip to content

New and having difficulty finding my place...help?

I am new to Imperian...have been playing IRE games on and off for a long time and have most experience in Achaea, so coming from there to here is a bit jarring, to say the least. I found the grid of factions/cities/guilds on the wiki super helpful to getting the lay of the land, but I am struggling a bit in character creation as the available synopses of cities and guilds feel really...general and difficult to pin down the culture. I know a bit of trial and error is probably still going to be in order, but if anyone could offer some suggestions for where to start in terms of guild/city, I'd be tremendously grateful.

I have no interest in PvP, and really like bashing and immersive roleplay, rituals, lore, slice-of-life RP is great. I tend to play good or neutral characters, so probably no Demonic faction. I won't be able to invest as much $$, so something with a profession that I can bash well with one trans skill is good, but that's less crucial than fitting into the overall culture of the city/council and guild for me.

I'm most intrigued by the Hunters, Silvari, Bards, Animists, Dunestriders, Crusaders, Wardens. What can you tell me about them aside from what's readily available in the synopsis? Or is there another guild that might fit really well that I'm missing?

Thanks a ton :)

Comments

• If you are totally disinterested in PvP and don't want to do Demonic, maybe Magick?  Magick does have PvP-ers, but they seem to also have a lot of people who don't PvP.  You may or may not already know this, but Imperian does NOT have XP loss, and that can sometimes lead to a change of heart in someone who avoids PvP.  That said, I don't want to be discouraging, because there are quite a few people who successfully play without PvP-ing, but it is worth noting that Imperian is extremely PvP oriented (which is what some of us absolutely love and enjoy about it).  I will leave it to the Magick guys to give the run down on their guilds.  I am in Crusaders, and we certainly do have people who don't PvP, but I doubt you would find it an ideal fit based on your criteria.  
  • edited September 2015
    I just have no interest in PvP. I've gotten into it far enough in Achaea to be able to defend the city because I feel obligated to from an RP standpoint, and I could do the same here, but it's just...not something I find fun, even without XP loss - which doesn't bother me - I don't mind dying at all - combat strategy just puts me to sleep. I have read that Imperian is more PvP oriented but I was hoping there might still be a place for those of us who aren't that into it.

I really appreciate your pointers on which factions might be more or less PvP oriented! I love the idea of playing a priest-healer-type character but if Crusaders is more PvP oriented it may not be the best place to start I think - that is precisely the sort of directional help I need since I don't know the org cultures yet. Thank you.
  • Sure.  And you can definitely find a place.  In fact, if you are at all flexible on the "bad guy" point, you might even consider Khandava within demonic, but again, I will let them address it (assuming you'd be willing to reconsider demonic).  
  • I...might maybe be able to be flexible on the Daemonic thing :) Khandava looks pretty interesting. I can at least do neutral-leaning-evil, if it fits well in other ways.
  • edited September 2015
    Sabah said:
    I have no interest in PvP, and really like bashing and immersive roleplay, rituals, lore, slice-of-life RP is great. I tend to play good or neutral characters, so probably no Demonic faction. 

The place you are looking for is Khandava, which is demonic. Give it a shot anyways. Expand your horizons. It might be demonic but it's not a Generic Evil Empire or anything like that.

Honestly, as far as the good-evil spectrum goes, Antioch ranks higher on the Evilometer than Khandava does. We've won "Organization Most Likely To 'Solve' Problems With PK" for the past several years in a row and we are waaaay more likely to say things like "We're bored, let's try and pick a giant fight with the world" than Khandava is. Hell, we're really not even against magic anymore. We're not trying to cleanse the world of magic or spread the word of the Gods, we're picking a bar fight with the world because we think it's awesome. We are so much in favor of mindless bloodshed that we tried to ally with the Orcs. If you are looking for some good/neutral haven of ritual RP, Antioch is not your place.

Look at Khandava.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• It's an aside to the topic, but I'd just like to say that the above IS a kind of RP (obviously not the sort the OP is looking for), but it IS still a sort of RP, and one that makes quite a lot of sense for near immortal beings with too much time on their hands, whose main skills are almost exclusively combat related.  And the characters do make decisions that make sense within that context.  Anyway, enjoy and good luck.