Skip to content

Client advice

So after a decade of change in the real world I, obviously, have none of my old systems. And even if I did they would probably be hopelessly outdated anyway. It's occured to me that I'm going to have to build a new system from the ground up, warts and all.Here's my dilemma, I was never a Zmud guy, never used it, never interested in using it. I always aimed for freeware clients, despite them not having as many features as other paid options. That was partially stubbornness and mostly being completely skint.

I need some advice on the clients most suited to high performance and low latency, I'm not worried about scripting learning curves as if that was an issue no one would use anything other than the most user friendly options.Back in the day I used PortalGT, but that is only useful for basic bashing due it's restrictions on trigger numbers. I've been looking into mudlet or the html client, but neither has particulary grabbed my undivided attention yet.

I'm pretty much looking for your advice based on your experience as client users, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Right now, the two most popular clients are CMUD (windows only) and Mudlet (all platforms). Mullet is free. CMUD is like $30, I think?
  • Oh, forgot to add MUSHclient to the list as well.
  • MUSHclient looks interesting, I'll have to play around with it a bit.
  • MenochMenoch Raleigh, NC, USA
    This is important information, CMud is not supported either. While you can use lua in CMud, on the whole my experience with Mudlet is a much faster one. I don't feel like re-doing or switching everything and my zscript is better than my lua though, so I still stick with CMud.

I was, when I played actively, going to give my CMud system away for free on forums, minus my specific things. Since I don't really anymore, I never got around to finishing/polishing it up for others.

If, for some reason, you should decide to go with CMud over Mudlet, despite the slower compile speed of zscript and the lack of support, I will toss it to you. If you are in demonic, it'll likely be fine from jump, for assassin or summoner. If you aren't, it will be missing lots of defs and maybe some ally messages you'd want to exploit/take advantage of, because, again haha, never got around to polishing it for others.