I want to understand combat, and I think to truly get it I need to venture into the terrifying hot mess that is the affliction system (and I mean that in the best of ways.)
I get what afflictions are. I get how they work and how they are cured slightly less so. And keeping track of them is a whole different matter. So that's where my questions are going to be oriented.
- I think the basic way of tracking afflictions offensively is to have some kind of list, to which I append afflictions as I hit an enemy with them, and from which I remove afflictions when I notice an enemy eat the cure. Is this correct?
- Will there be a message for every single time an affliction is cured, or are some of them cured "secretly" without some message going out to the room?
- Haemophilia and addiction are both cured by eating nightshade. If I afflicted somebody with both of these, and I see them eat a nightshade, is there a way to know which one was cured? Will it always be cured in the same order for everybody?
- Is there a way to assess precisely what afflictions somebody is currently suffering from? Like DIAG, but for another person?
- With the changes to afflictions in the last few years, are "affliction locks" possible still? Can any class do them? Can Summoner?
- Are there diminishing returns for afflicting in team fights? It seems like there is a "spam damage" tendency but if everybody instead just focused on afflicting 1-2 things, wouldn't you be able to lock people down almost immediately? (I guess if you have enough people to instalock you also have enough people to instaburst).
I imagine I'll have even more questions about this soon. Hopefully the answers here might encourage some other peeps to give this whole thing a try too.