Skip to content

ToA Update

2»

Comments

• Speaking of AFK bashing-- will there be periodic checks on everyone hunting? I know AFK bashing is rampant these days.
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."
    (Ring): Lartus says, "Then it exploded."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • We'll be monitoring as best we can. We can't be everywhere, though, so if you have suspicion (or even better, evidence) that someone is bashing while AFK, bring it to our attention (either through message or by issuing yourself).
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • IniarIniar Australia
    I had evidence against your #2 player but then being so nice I deleted it :(@Ozreas can testify :(
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • edited April 2015
    So just to clarify, what constitutes true 'afk' bashing besides the obvious 'leaving the computer'? Do I need to sit and stare at lines of text passing by 100% of the time? Can I watch a youtube video? A movie? Can I play a different game on my computer?

edit: And am I the only one that feels like deleting 'evidence' against someone then telling the world about it completely negates the act of deleting it in the first place? :( Biased though, clearly.
  • I'm pretty sure a log isn't the kind of evidence being referred to, as I could go open notepad++ and make something pretty convincing in about 5 minutes. Might be wrong though.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    But you wouldn't put in all the HTML colours, buddy :3 That's what's important here. :3
  • I bet you colour in your epic fantasy books too.

Heathen.

• Shou said:

So just to clarify, what constitutes true 'afk' bashing besides the obvious 'leaving the computer'? Do I need to sit and stare at lines of text passing by 100% of the time? Can I watch a youtube video? A movie? Can I play a different game on my computer?

edit: And am I the only one that feels like deleting 'evidence' against someone then telling the world about it completely negates the act of deleting it in the first place? :( Biased though, clearly.

You just need to be able to respond to us when we talk to you. If you can multitask and pay attention to the bashing, that is fine. If it takes you 5 minutes to figure out someone is talking to you, we are going to shrub you.

• Watch someone code an Eliza-esque auto-response trigger...

> Hello, I am Eliza. 
    * Hey are you AFK bashing?
    > Why are you interested in whether or not I am AFK bashing? 
    * Because I'm Jeremy and I'm gonna shrub your ass if you are.
    > What makes you think I am ? 
    * Oh nevermind.
    > Tell me more...
    無駄だ!無駄無駄無駄無駄無駄無駄無駄無駄無駄無駄無駄無駄!ザ・ワールド!時よ止まれ!くらえ!そして、時は動き出す。
  • Yeah. We are pretty sneaky when we get an idea that someone may be auto bashing. We have some other ways of telling. Triggers rarely help.

• I think I remember them trying to transport me to the room with all the songbirds one time.
  • Selthis said:

So, my personal suggestions for the bashing event.

-Call spirits to make it fair.
    - Let double xp and call spirits work for both days of the event full time.
    - Reward credits for 1-2hour chunks  at regular intervals
    - More prizes, bit lower rewards but make it so everyone can compete.

Basically, call spirits is about the best thing about these events and I want to take advantage of lazybashing even moreso than I would normally. Let me use call spirits and have double xp all weekend.  You lose basically nothing after Cairnae. 
    So, no one has said anything about how the contest will work.  If it is a long xp grind for the entire weekend and has area competition, it will be super annoying.  Can you shed any light  on what sort of format you guys have decided on @jeremy?
  • As someone who is probably one of the most "primitive" hunters out there (my pinky hurts right now), the "checks" sort of spooked me.  I missed the first one in the spam, not unlike how I (no really) miss killing people in spam (whar he go?), and I worry that I would have missed both checks if other people hadn't been checked first and discussed it on ring (so that I was a bit paranoid, but maybe not quite paranoid enough).
  • I really like how you are checking for AFK bashers, but the messages you're using are one line that basically disappears in the spam.

I've got a screen full of stuff like:

A burst of ice covers an exanguinous wyvern as you bring a mercurial longsword crashing down on him.
    You have scored a staggering blow!
    Damage dealt: 119 Remaining: 112.20%
    Adrenaline flows in your veins and your wounds hurt less.
    Health Gain: 11
    Left Hand Balance Taken: 3.09s
    With ungodly speed you leap at an exanguinous wyvern, battering him with your shield.
    Damage dealt: 149 Remaining: 90.26%
    Health Gain: 14
    Right Hand Balance Taken: 3.01s
    You jump, flipping head over heels backward, striking an exanguinous wyvern with a hard kick.
    Damage dealt: 52 Remaining: 82.60%
    Health Gain: 5
    Balance Taken: 3.20s

that flying by me, plus my channels, blocks of spam clotting, mobile hits, healing, etc, etc, etc.

It's pretty easy to miss one line in that even when you are paying attention. Something more notable would be great.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Yes. I've given several messages before determining anything, but I'm aware of the spam problem. We'll have something better by the next set.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Hoping for ASCII art.
  • edited May 2015
    I was going to do ascii art, but ultimately decided on something else.

I might sneak some in.
  • Current way to check out people if they're afk bashing is good. You can clearly see the message and you'll have to prove that you're actually there.
  • I guess our secret is out. Eoghan was hired specifically to catch you guys breaking rules. He's pretty good at his job, don't test him!
  • Eoghan said:

I was going to do ascii art, but ultimately decided on something else.

I might sneak some in.
    ascii art might be more irritating/problematic for some players (much as I love the idea of an ascii AFK zombie).  
  • LaethusLaethus Wichita, KS
    Ifreann said:

You swing a quicksilver fishing pole behind your head and whip it forward, sending your line sailing away to the southwest.
    You tell Eoghan, "May I go to toilet?"
    Eoghan tells you, "As long as while you're away you aren't hunting or otherwise violating our trigger rules."
    You tell Eoghan, "I am just fishing man."
    Eoghan tells you, "Fishing generates gold. You can't do it while away from the keyboard."
    You tell Eoghan, "Oh god."

it seems Eoghan really dedicated himself to catching afk bashers :/
    Technically, fishing generates fish.  It doesn't generate gold until you "sell fish to person".  However, it does generate a small tiny bit of xpz.  Which does make it against the rules to afk fish.
  • Was it ever announced when the actual ToA is being held?

Also, will there be chances to win lots of credits, even if we just participate?
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • @jeremy @eoghan

Still curious if this was ever announced so I can make sure I don't plan anything. Are we looking at another few weeks or another few months?

• Date is not announced yet. Yes, there will be lots of credits.

• Any news yet on when this might be happening? :)
    ** Yes, we're aware of the problems. Please do NOT use any HELP files at the moment.**.
    ** And don't try them now just see if they're really broken. **.
    ** Or credit conversion. Try not to do anything much right now. **.
    ** Don't panic, normal service will be restored as soon as possible. For now, enjoy the wonders of conversation. **.
    *** We will be rebooting in about 60 seconds ***.
    ** Don't panic. Just...stay close to your rosaries **.
    ** Monetary offers for Salvation accepted. **.