Skip to content

GMCP Afflictions

We will be adding in GMCP affliction tracking in the next few weeks. This should not be a huge change for people. It will make affliction tracking a little easier for those of you that do it, but the GMCP messages will come right along with the affliction messages, so nothing too crazy. It will not show masked afflictions unless you do something that reveals that affliction to you, like diagnosing yourself.

One of the main reasons we are doing this is so that we can add a basic affliction/defense viewer into the game client. It will allow us to make it so people can click on affliction to cure it (if they have the cure) and mouse over and get an explanation of that affliction/defense. Basically, it should help newbies understand afflictions a bit easier.

Any thoughts, concerns, or questions about this?

Comments

• edited February 2015
    On topic, will this also include assumed afflictions? Also, would be cool if your current cure priority for it were included in the data as well.

Not 100% on topic but related, can wielding be made a bit more transparent with gmcp in light of pending weapon changes [display for this in client would also be a good idea]?
  • Can a diagnose give a full list? Would make resetting things mildly easier in systems, and there aren't generic messages there unless autocuring sees it for the first time (I tried to unassume all, but I guess that doesn't do the trick)

Also, defenses would be nice for gmcp add/remove/listing on DEF as well!

Otherwise, looks fine as is IMO
  • Kabaal said:

Can a diagnose give a full list? Would make resetting things mildly easier in systems, and there aren't generic messages there unless autocuring sees it for the first time (I tried to unassume all, but I guess that doesn't do the trick)

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I thought diagnose automatically cleared out assumes in autocuring.
  • I don't see how anyone could really find issue with this. As long as it's running off of the list of affs that Gbot is aware of, there is no new information made available through this sort of thing. Anything you can add to GMCP or otherwise make more easily available with simpler/less coding is almost always a good thing.

Also: Still would really love gmcp.Char.Vitals.wieldedLeft and gmcp.Char.Vitals.wieldedRight. Especially now that there's actually a reason to dualwield. Pretty please? =D
  • Also gmcp.Char.Statpack.
  • Cassius said:

Kabaal said:

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I thought diagnose automatically cleared out assumes in autocuring.
    Could be (I thought the "assumed" list was all of the affs the autocurer assumed, but I was wrong :( )
  • No. It's ones you told it to assume without doing a diag. Good for masked reckless and such.
  • edited February 2015
    This may be a dumb question - be forewarned.

If affliction tracking is GMCP does that mean just the messages are sent and can be picked up by certain clients? Or can a client run a check against a database server side at any time to gather the information? The client I use does not allow GMCP (Kildclient).

Meaning do players still have to create their own lengthy scripts based off of single messages received or can they just ping (for lack of a better word) a server to see all afflictions with a true Boolean

I've stuck with kildclient because I'm comfortable with pearl and I'm somewhat sight impaired so I use tts and screen reader plugins on occasion. but I have already had a little interest in mudlet based off other imperian player suggestions. This might make me switch given the specifics.
  • Claudius said:

This may be a dumb question - be forewarned.

If affliction tracking is GMCP does that mean just the messages are sent and can be picked up by certain clients? Or can a client run a check against a database server side at any time to gather the information?

We're not really sure on the specifics yet. If there is a check like that, it's going to be rate limited somehow so as not to cause overload.
  • Dicene said:

I don't see how anyone could really find issue with this. As long as it's running off of the list of affs that Gbot is aware of, there is no new information made available through this sort of thing. Anything you can add to GMCP or otherwise make more easily available with simpler/less coding is almost always a good thing.

Also: Still would really love gmcp.Char.Vitals.wieldedLeft and gmcp.Char.Vitals.wieldedRight. Especially now that there's actually a reason to dualwield. Pretty please? =D

When we make this change, I will see if we can add this as well.

• Kabaal said:

Can a diagnose give a full list? Would make resetting things mildly easier in systems, and there aren't generic messages there unless autocuring sees it for the first time (I tried to unassume all, but I guess that doesn't do the trick)

Yeah, it would probably work like this.

• edited February 2015
    Kabaal said:

there aren't generic messages there unless autocuring sees it for the first time 

DIAG ME UNIFIED will give you this:

You are:
    afflicted with slow equilibrium.
    afflicted with hemotoxin.
    afflicted with paralysis.
    blind.
    deaf.
    an insomniac.
    Equilibrium Taken: 2.62s

As compared to the regular DIAG ME giving you 

You are:
    unable to regain equilibrium quickly.
    has numb muscles.
    plagued with a weakened immune system.
    blind.
    deaf.
    an insomniac.
    Equilibrium Taken: 2.62s

(the numbness/paralysis isn't a bug, my system was off when I was getting these and numbness had converted before I took the UNIFIED messages.)

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."