Skip to content

Improving Imperian Combat

Comments

• edited October 2015
    As you can see, for those who are not able to hold a full offense, the primary goal is to inflict damage. Please note that for all of these classes, there is limitless potential for a wider offense, even with the use of just a few extra abilities - such as tornado for Druids or runes for Runeguards. It is highly recommended that you take time to talk with a skilled fighter in your profession to optimize your ability to use room-wide attacks and set up a more complex offense.

Renegade: Garrote/Choke.
     If you are able to monitor the rebounding aura of your target, trioxin/choke, with appropriate use of flay where needed, is the recommended attack. Keep your cobra on the attack as well.

Runeguard: Strychnine/Strychnine/Runeflare
     The most basic attacks for Knightly fighting. It is going to be necessary to learn how to monitor your target's rebounding and use raze where appropriate. Be sure your kestrel is on the offense. 

Druid: Strychnine/Shred
     For those able to track their roots effectively, use of Strychnine/Choke is an option for higher damage.

Bard: idk

Hunter: idk

Mage: idk

I'm imagining little Jimmy-Level-60 making his second or first alias doing this, but I'd really love any and all useful information about these classes offenses on a basic level so I can maybe make some stuff for the web client for the kids or something. Anyway, I'd appreciate any help.

Edit: ^ Or honestly just enough information that I could use the ABs to figure out enough to explain basic combo building, failing that. 
     You say, "This is much harder than just being a normal person."
  • Strychnine Strychnine Runeflare isn't a very good recommendation unless the rune you're flaring is sowulu, and even then it's not that great.

Anyone who can code up a basic razer should be able to do better than trying to bash the opponent to death
  • Ailish.  The above (in templar version) is how AM started me out, because it was what I could do.  Not until quite a bit later did I make the "basic razer", which, at the time did NOT feel so basic.  
  • I hear and if it said "make a wm reave reave flare sowulu alias, and go out there and hit it repeatedly" that would be a good beginner advice

But the advice simultaneously assumes that the person can code a razing system and that the person is incapable of coding an alias that would alternate between the vastly superior pithakhan and sowulu and use toxins that are appropriate for each. This seems like a contradiction.

As an aside if anyone feels that they're unable to participate in combat because they don't know how to raze, please contact Alesei in game and I'd be very happy to code them a razer
  • I spent like two hours today trying to make an if statement in the web client before I gave up and joined the 'get mudlet' crowd. If you have any, any, any help, just one tiny little working if statement, I need it. Please. Mercy.
     You say, "This is much harder than just being a normal person."
  • IniarIniar Australia
    For webclient?
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • @Oystir send me a tell when I log in tonight
  • http://imgur.com/a/9WvDW

There's a set of screenshots showing a trigger that uses pattern matching and an if statement.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• edited October 2015

That was a pretty crappy example, so I made a slightly better one.

I did a basic functional raze tracker in the Imperian client.  The only attack alias it has is for a knight, but you should be able to put together an appropriate alias for any other class by looking at it.

Features:

• Target alias(Syntax: "t <target>") : Sets the target and sets shield to 0 and rebounding to 1. This happens every time you change targets. It does not track players who are not your target. It DOES support partial targets and it adjusts everything to lowercase, so you can target "khi" for "Khizan".

• Basic Attack Alias(Syntax: "dsl toxin1 toxin2") If the target has rebounding and shield, sends "wm raze raze target". If the target has shield OR rebounding but not both, sends "wm raze slash target toxin1 toxin2". This will only apply the first toxin listed, even though you send it with two toxins. If the target has neither rebounding nor shield, sends "wm slash slash target toxin1 toxin2".
    • Registers Shield up when the target shields and when they hit the target's shield.

• Registers Rebounding up when the target's rebounding goes up or when they hit anybody's rebounding since that message is not player specific.

• Registers shield/rebounding down when they raze the defense, when somebody else razes the defense, or when the target drops it themself. It does not track hammer tattoo or Iceblast or anything but raze. You will have to add those triggers yourself.

• If you whiff a raze it will reset both shield and rebounding to 0.

Dropbox Download Link

Just go to the "Reflex Packages" tab from the client settings and drag and drop the file into place to install it.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• I missed falcon/hound rebounding raze, so add at least two more. Then double for a universal raze-handler, because it has to have first-person and third-person messages.

• What do people think about shard clot?  Are people using it more than I think they are?  I tried it out briefly and figured it really does take too long to be useful, because if you're bleeding that bad, you probably want to try to get the hell out.  But, maybe it would be TOO useful if it didn't take so long?  I don't know the history on it, but it feels like one of those cases where it may be "too much" if it's worth using at all, so they put a long EQ on it, and if that turns out to be the case, it would be nice if they just deleted it.  If not, I guess I should reconsider, and integrate it into my healing in some way again.   
  • I have faced many situations where I was about to bloodfreeze the opponent, but they used shard clot just right on time and survived there. I personally like Shard Clot, even though I have not used it, but it gives depth in the bleeding game. Especially if you're able to handle DK's or Outrider's afflictions, but still you get bled more and more, you can use that to cut the bleeding and maybe turn the tide of the battle, duel or whatever it is. 

Also, it gives some use for the shards. There's not much use for them, except quest experience, if you don't fully utilize shard skills. 
  • Hrm, okay.  I will reconsider.  Even with diadem, the EQ is 3.6 seconds, so my initial reaction was "using this would probably kill me".  
  • Incendiary arrows cost one obsidian per arrow. Could we change them to use blackpowder as an ingredient instead? It makes more sense and we wouldn't have to burn one obsidian per try.

• IniarIniar Australia
    Or cost one obsidian per ten arrows.
  • edited October 2015
    A lot of times when people are duking it out at shardfalls, we have to ignore people who continue to harvest while the two combat teams engage each other, and those harvesters can clear an area surprisingly quickly - meaning the fun is over all too soon, even if you don't need shards.  Technically, the two teams could call a timeout and kill the people harvesting, but that is... pretty unwieldy/awkward.  You would have have to say "hey, want to take out these guys who are harvesting before we try to kill each other some more"?  And those harvesters will just come back almost immediately, too, unless you kill them a few times.  And the problem is, they have these weird impacts on shardfalls.  They don't fight, so you feel sort of weird killing them.  But I asbsolutely do (often) kill/chase them now, either to get their citymates to come, or just because I don't want the shardfall to end too quickly, or because they actually started autoharvesting in the room I was in.    

It would be nice to see something where no one can harvest while a fight is going on, period - based on player inflicted bloodletting or something.  So basically, until your side controls the shardfall area (or if it is unattended) for at least a minute or two (or something like that), no one harvests.  Because it really is amazing how quickly a few autoharvesters can clear out a shardfall while people fight, which means the fun can be over all to quickly.   
  • How about the people who seriously just doesn't like PvP? If I were one of those, I'd totally take advantage of the situation where two factors are against each other and can't/will not do anything to the one who harvests the shards.

Shardfalls are good as they are. An event where you might find someone to kill and harvest shards if needed. If you don't need the shards, guard them for a moment or save them for later and try to pick a fight if someone is about to harvest them.
  • edited October 2015
    It's mainly a problem when there's actually a good fight in progress already, a good fight developing, or a decent potential for one.  The problem is, they are surprisingly efficient at clearing the area, and then our fun is over.  As well, shardfalls really are a strictly PvP event, and what people who seriously don't like PvP want should not be a consideration when it comes to shardfalls.  

EDIT:  notice I am not saying in any way "restrict access to shard abilities/shard usage" (i.e. lock people out of shard usage by potentially making it very hard for them to procure a decent amount of shards).  I actually think that is a bad thing and generally don't like scarcity dynamics at all, even if it does sometimes spur players to actually engage.  I am saying, I don't like this aspect of how the shardfalls themselves are playing out.
  • Umm, if you having a good time with some consensual PVP at shard fall, why not just continue it when the shards are gone?
  • People usually do seem leave almost immediately once the shards are gone, unfortunately.  And by the letter of the law - it's not a shardfall anymore, and is no longer a free-PK area, though I kind of doubt that is the main reason.  The more I think about it though, if people did stick around more, you could easily get into some sticky situations, unless your teams were absolutely static, which they rarely are.  And that, of course, is why there are shardfalls in the first place - to provide unambiguous, free-PK events.  
  • I agree what Ailish said. It's not the first time if people stays to fight after shards are gone.

Also, shardfalls are events that allows PvP. Even though this whole game is about three circles against each other and PvP is heavily included in that, there is still people who doesn't like to PK and they should have (they have) same rights to enter the area and harvest shards as the ones who PKs. 
  • edited October 2015
    Single shardfalls were implemented to absolutely ensure that people who hate PvP would have access to shards.  As well, there are numerous ones that are unattended... or end up not anywhere near fully harvested.  And if access to shard abilities were ever a problem, I would be one of the first to say "hey, can we not make this so restrictive"?  I just want them to stop clearing the actual shardfalls so often/quickly, whatever that takes.  Shardfalls are absolutely a PvP event, however, and as was recently and very clearly stated in the infamous shrine thread, our designers have no intention of allowing people complete, unfettered access to a combat mechanic while avoiding conflict, which is pretty much exactly what people are doing at shardfalls when you really get down to it.  I mean, other than the many unattended shardfalls, or shardfalls where it's not worth killing them because there is no chance of it alerting other people that there is a shardfall going on that they might want to come to, the next best case scenario for them is actually when there is an awesome fight going on.  That is not right.    
  • Ok, let's just call thing what they are.  The situation you're talking about is 95% of the time going to be demonic vs AM.  Neither of our circles issue for PK.  I am not sure what needs fixing here.
  • edited October 2015
    The problem is simple.  People leave when the shards are gone.  I don't know exactly why but they do.  People not fighting harvest the shards and oh crap how did they all poof so fast there were 86?!?!?!  I want the shards to not be gone so quickly (when there are awesome things going on, or some hope of awesome things happening).  
  • IniarIniar Australia
    The premise of your arguments are wrong. Shardfalls are not strictly PvP events.
  • Jules said:
    A lot of times when people are duking it out at shardfalls, we have to ignore people who continue to harvest while the two combat teams engage each other, and those harvesters can clear an area surprisingly quickly - meaning the fun is over all too soon, even if you don't need shards.  Technically, the two teams could call a timeout and kill the people harvesting, but that is... pretty unwieldy/awkward.  You would have have to say "hey, want to take out these guys who are harvesting before we try to kill each other some more"?  And those harvesters will just come back almost immediately, too, unless you kill them a few times.  And the problem is, they have these weird impacts on shardfalls.  They don't fight, so you feel sort of weird killing them.  But I asbsolutely do (often) kill/chase them now, either to get their citymates to come, or just because I don't want the shardfall to end too quickly, or because they actually started autoharvesting in the room I was in.    

It would be nice to see something where no one can harvest while a fight is going on, period - based on player inflicted bloodletting or something.  So basically, until your side controls the shardfall area (or if it is unattended) for at least a minute or two (or something like that), no one harvests.  Because it really is amazing how quickly a few autoharvesters can clear out a shardfall while people fight, which means the fun can be over all to quickly.   

This is a strategy thing.

I've 'won' a ton of shardfalls by skirmishing with the main enemy group and keeping their attention while I have other people harvest. Totally valid tactic.

• edited October 2015
    I get that it can be a tactic as things are currently, but it is one that tends to end (great!) shardfalls sooner than I would like.  And in a sense, it is almost like... third party sect is able to quietly build undefilable shrine network in DP while Conquest and Leechwood destroy eachother.  Surprise!  It could be "valid" if the game mechanics were set up that way, but it's not something I'd like to see.  
  • If the other group didn't want the fighting to end, it wouldn't, regardless of whether or not shards are around.

I'm not sure why you're so adamant about this - if the other group is only fighting in order to have a couple people running around and ninjaing shards while the fighters are kept busy because they want/need shards, rather than fighting for fighting's sake, then they'll just leave instead if they can't get said shards because an offensive action has been done in the last 5 minutes or however this (let's be honest, unrealistic anyway) system would work. Then you're not getting any fight at all, rather than a fight for the duration of the shardfall.
  • edited November 2015
    What usually happens is not quite what Khizan is talking about - where someone like him provides top cover for others to harvest, but does not have the firepower to eventually pull a decisive victory in the sense of totally controlling the area.  That is... probably less of a problem in most cases, although... eh.  I will just be honest and say I am not very enthusiastic about that happening regularly - and it doesn't.  

What usually happens is, demonic and AM are already having a great fight, or a fight seems to be possibly shaping up.  Meanwhile, a few non-demonic/non-AM (mostly magick, possibly a few non-affiliated) people run around and harvest.  And I don't think most of those people are even "short" on shards.  In fact, I have a hunch they have more shards than I do, and I have a lot of shards, even though I use them and give them away!  

EDIT:  this hunch is correct.  Most of the people who do this regularly, have harvested more shards than I have.  A lot more!  Someone once mentioned that the motivation may be to tick off the achievement, and that is actually probably right when I look at achievement stats on some of these folks.  And... okay, but now it's a problem for me because their need to tick that 10K (or 100K!) shard box is getting in the way of the actual shardfall experience.  In fact, one of the regular "ninja harvesters", has harvested:  
    Blue Shards       : 46579, Red Shards        : 1858

A lot of people may not notice how quickly the shards are poofing (even though they obviously know the harvesters are around), because a lot of people actually don't seem to put up shard awareness, and even if they did, it's awkward/difficult to do anything about it exactly because there IS a good fight going on or about to happen.  But what I often see (while demonic and AM are squaring off) is a whole lot of "A brief tremor notifies you that blah started harvesting a shard somewhere nearby."  And then, before you know it, shards are gone, and everyone just immediately packs up and goes home.  That is just what happens.