Skip to content

Improving Imperian Combat

Comments

• edited June 2015
    I'd just like to say that my comments come more from a player experience point of view rather than a deeply mechanical point of view.  Being completely unable to act is probably the most frustrating state because you know you are already dead, but you're not dead.  Yet.  

Sort of hand in hand with that, I am very much okay with dying repeatedly, but certain ways of dying are vastly more frustrating than others.  There is a point where it feels like "okay, you're winning, you were always going to win hands down, but man, how hard do you need to win"?  That is regardless of whether the people are just way too good, too artied, playing too powerful professions, too many people period, or all of the above.

Those fights seem like they have to be absolutely pointless for both parties after like... one round.  A good contrast that didn't feel completely awful, even as a newb, was Wysrias in wytchen (so I guess a couple of classleads ago).  There was a build up to the death, but even as a horrible newb, I don't remember feeling like I'd been strung up and was just waiting for Urzog to finish me off already.  
  • edited June 2015
    Iniar said:

Great, yes. This is what I'm saying. Both extremes exist, and @Jules is the kind of player who can afford to spend $ to learn the classes that do best against affliction heavy offenses. Even fine tuning what she is capable of doing with Templar would be excellent, just like you can. Anti-magick is certainly equipped with the tools to handle these problems, just as you always demonstrate. She's already solved the 'too-much-damage' problem, now she can work on 'too-much-affs' problem, just like you have.
    Iniar, I started playing Imperian largely because Outrider is so damned sexy.  I'm still nowhere near being ready to play a class like that, though.  And I'm still working on basic (i.e. group) Templar.  Light years from where I began, which is great, and the first time it's ever happened, but also still light years away from anything like you're talking about.  
  • Menoch said:
    Old calo, maidenhair stacking with old metra and cig, etc etc. Those things were deemed OP because they were uncounterable by damage routes, because they shut down your ability to attack. We just don't have those same issues anymore, not to that extent

My first point is especially nitpicky and pedantic: old calotropis was a problem because it could block its own cure and this made herb stacking ludicrously easy; it would have been a problem regardless of disable status. Calo/cigua, calo/hemo, tree and purge are both on cooldown now and they're in herbstack hell.

My second point is that those issues are still out there. Try pushing an offense through confusion as one of the many classes that requires eq-based skills. Sticking peace is even more effective at locking down an offense than sticking paralysis was, since it blocks telepathy skills and the like. Affliction offenses still have loads of control and it's more than sufficient to stall out a lot of classes while maintaining your own offensive pressure.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• IniarIniar Australia
    @Jules

Outrider is sexy. Very sexy. Also not terribly difficult to start with. Ask @Dreacor / @Septus for pointers. Being very honest, you'll never feel ready until you take up the class and take it out for a spin.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Iniar said:
    @Jules Outrider is sexy. Very sexy. Also not terribly difficult to start with. Ask @Dreacor / @Septus for pointers. Being very honest, you'll never feel ready until you take up the class and take it out for a spin.
    Tempting.  Like, I think about it every time the topic of Outrider comes up, which is pretty frequently.  When I started out, I specifically asked which classes were more user friendly, and that's why I am a Templar (I also have Priest on the backburner).  I get what you're saying, but if I did that right now, it would probably be one of those cases where a player bites off way more than he can chew, and basically has grandiose ideas that aren't going anywhere. 

That said, while I'm still far more focused on enemy classes, I don't completely ignore when friendly classes test on me - like, Dreacor, for example, or Septus.  It's definitely not my focus though.  My questions about friendly classes tend to be more along the lines of "anything I need to know about this class as a Templar with this guy on my side?" for the time being though.  In short, there's still plenty for me to do in Templar, and I do think Outrider is a harder class to use effectively (I mean, that was the advice I got from several knowledgeable people when I asked the question way back when).  
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited June 2015
    There is no time like the present! :) basically when I chose to go Magick, the decision was Outrider versus Hunter. As Hunter needs more work, I chose Hunter. But yes, Outrider is a gorgeous class.
  • Outrider is far better than Templar for the most part, especially considering 1v1. In fact, I think that outside of being extremely artifacted that Templar is in a bad place for single combat, but whatevers. Thing is, Outrider has afflictions, damage, bleeding and limbs. It's a hybrid of styles that plays strongly in all of them while still having the likes of fitness, firstaid, vitality and bounty on the defensive side. Gosh, I can only dream of Wytch or Diabolist having that level of resistance to damage AND afflictions at the same time. =[

• Oh, yes.  By all accounts Outrider is a very strong class (besides just having massive appeal) - and I bet it's not just AM who is on the receiving end of frustrating affliction plus hindering.  Not at all.  But if you're not ready to put all that stuff to work properly, it will be a waste.  
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Outrider promises you the world of glam and delivers. You know which class promises you super style and doesn't deliver? Bloody Predator. >:[
  • IniarIniar Australia
    So, saying all of these, I'd still like Hunter and Mage to at least be able to wear some kind of armour. In my opinion, ringmail should probably be the lowest tier for armour for all classes. That means you too, predator, monk. Fortunately for Predator, they've got a gajillion skills to compensate for armour-failure.
  • edited June 2015
    Hunter has access to many disabling mental afflictions, can totally deny tree and focus for an entire fight, gets to use toxins, an on demand transfix and gets bounty. Those are just the things that come to mind; the class is an affliction machine.

As for Monk, what even needs to be said about its general ability to survive.

• MenochMenoch Raleigh, NC, USA
    Khizan said:
    Menoch said:
    Old calo, maidenhair stacking with old metra and cig, etc etc. Those things were deemed OP because they were uncounterable by damage routes, because they shut down your ability to attack. We just don't have those same issues anymore, not to that extent

My first point is especially nitpicky and pedantic: old calotropis was a problem because it could block its own cure and this made herb stacking ludicrously easy; it would have been a problem regardless of disable status. Calo/cigua, calo/hemo, tree and purge are both on cooldown now and they're in herbstack hell.

My second point is that those issues are still out there. Try pushing an offense through confusion as one of the many classes that requires eq-based skills. Sticking peace is even more effective at locking down an offense than sticking paralysis was, since it blocks telepathy skills and the like. Affliction offenses still have loads of control and it's more than sufficient to stall out a lot of classes while maintaining your own offensive pressure.

Yeah it was phrased poorly as my post was hasty. Calo of course did not disable you on its own, but rather was a contributing factor as to why you weren't going to touch tree/move/attack or eat kelp for asthma for uh... ever.

Your second point is I think where you didn't get my point, which is that while confusion sucks if you are using eq, and being paralysed is no fun, that is nowhere near as bad as old paralysis and metrazol. Does no one remember fighting Kyrock? I have had people send me vials of metrazol via hound mid duel at the springs. The nature of being hindered by affs today is nowhere near as bad as it was. The nature of how long it takes to ramp up your burst dps kill is the same if not better for every class than it has ever been, on the other hand. That's my point, if we're going to continue to make aff offenses weaker, it needs to be very niche, and very delicate.
  • Monk has craptastic nothing in terms of damage mitigation and the only monks you see surviving are the ones who are backed up by enough artifacts to buy a decent used car. You don't see other monks because they quit playing because a wet fart can inflict lethal damage on them.

That's what needs to be said about their general ability to survive.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• I don't really see that from them no, between banish, cripple, heal, strike, transmute, shield (which they can get away with all day long).

• You are looking at it from a arena duelist viewpoint where you never have to bash, never have to fight more than one person at a time, and never face restrictions on time that would prevent you from slowly turtling out a win.

Those are ideal conditions that are not often encountered in world PvP.

• I actually think Kryss is right about monk. Sure we don't tank well but our best defense is a strong offense. You also forgot numb. Most of the things I'd change about monk are cosmetic (making us less spammy) and QoL (please let us have some decent bashing DPS / use mind crush on mobs). I wouldn't say no to better armor, but I don't feel entitled to it.
    無駄だ!無駄無駄無駄無駄無駄無駄無駄無駄無駄無駄無駄無駄!ザ・ワールド!時よ止まれ!くらえ!そして、時は動き出す。
  • Outrider is the second scariest prof I  have ever played. It blows templar one v one out of the water, no question; its just nonstop pressure (templar still better for teams overall imo just because that knight lineup is hard to top). If you want to do it though (@Jules), the biggest pain is managing animals and stuff. The actual pk is pretty easy.

Biggest problem with monk tanking in my opinion is the difference between artied monk and unartied monk. When your primary mitigation relies on surviving enough hits for it to fire (then laughing at the 50% damage reduction when it does fire), having frontloaded artefact tank makes a massive, massive difference. I'd say its probably the class that most benefits from artefacts in that regard (not necessarily gets the most out of them, but gets the biggest difference).

• IniarIniar Australia
    Which is the scariest, @Septus?
  • Rg pre enhancements. Its probably more so now than then, but just conjecture. I'll get back to you if I get the sudden urge to go Magick.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Yeah RG is pretty scary.
  • I'd be tempted to give the win to deathknight. Killer with longswords and an absolutely brutal execute. Negate+Soulquench+Fleshburn = Wrecked.

• edited June 2015
    Modern Imperian Combat:

Khizan hits Aakrin:

H:560 M:464 Exp:42.17 <e- db>
    Spinning off the momentum of his last blow, Khizan whips his blade at you once again.
    Khizan brings a mercurial broadsword crashing down on you.
    Damage Taken: 112 cutting, physical (raw damage: 134)
    Your hearing is suddenly restored.
    Khizan secures his previously wielded items and instantly draws a truesilver broadsword into his left hand, with a mercurial
    broadsword flowing into the right.
    Khizan brings a truesilver broadsword crashing down on you.
    Damage Taken: 122 cutting, physical (raw damage: 146)
    A prickly, stinging sensation spreads through your body.
    You are afflicted with sensitivity.
    Khizan brings a mercurial broadsword crashing down on you.
    Damage Taken: 128 cutting, physical (raw damage: 153)
    Khizan dashes at you, leaps into the air and strikes you in the chest before falling to the ground himself.
    Damage Taken: 189 blunt (raw damage: 216)
    You are afflicted with prone.
    You are no longer mounted on a huge blood-red scorpion named Valdar.
    You cease to prop up a tall totem pole.
    Khizan springs up from the ground to his feet.
    You have recovered balance.
    H:7 M:464 Exp:42.17 <eb pb>

Aakrin counter-punches:

H:497/669 M:373/386 B:0 <-b pp> <db> K:0
    Aakrin secures his previously wielded items and instantly draws a battleaxe wreathed with blue flame into his left hand,
    with an ornately wrought tablet flowing into the right.
    Aakrin reaves you furiously with a battleaxe wreathed with blue flame.
    Damage Taken: 114 cutting, physical (raw damage: 171)
    Extreme heat roars through your body at the touch of a battleaxe wreathed with blue flame.
    You are afflicted with ablaze.
    Damage Taken: 44 fire, mental (raw damage: 76)
    As the weapon hits you, a freezing cold overcomes you.
    You have lost the caloric salve defence.
    Damage Taken: 68 cold, mental (raw damage: 84)
    Your hearing is suddenly restored.
    You have lost the deaf defence.
    Aakrin reaves you furiously with a battleaxe wreathed with blue flame.
    Damage Taken: 114 cutting, physical (raw damage: 171)
    You are afflicted with sensitivity.
    Aakrin concentrates, and a searing image of the sowulu rune suddenly flares on your skin.
    Damage Taken: 80 unblockable (raw damage: 60)
    H:76/669 M:373/386 B:11 <-b pp> <b> K:0

“We abjure labels. We fight for money and an indefinable pride. The politics, the ethics, the moralities, are irrelevant."
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited June 2015
    My two gripes with RG are
    1. No 20% self-heal how-copy?
    2. The absolutely atrocity that is required to track nairat/loshre now. I thought it was bad before, it's now even more of a pain in the @ss. No wonder no one wants to use. Sure it may be powerful but no newbie is going to code 7 things just to make sure it's working properly.

Don't get me wrong, still very awesome class.
  • I don't find it that overly burdening.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    If Mudlet's tempTimers could be interrogated for their remaining duration and elapsed duration, my code would be 3x easier.
  • edited June 2015
    Just use "os.clock()" everywhere. That's how I survive 99% of the timing difficulties.

Edit: or maybe it's "os.time()". Whichever one is the number of milliseconds since Mudlet was started.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    I think I opted not to use os.clock() because of the differences between OS's, but given I'm now 99.95% of the time on my Macbook, I guess it's acceptable.
  • I don't use a single tempTimer or timer really.
  • edited June 2015
    Get out. Now.

Iniar, get the pitchforks...
  • You could use a stopwatch on Mudlet and use getStopWatchTimer(id).