Skip to content

Imperian Tradeskill Revamp, Part 2!

Comments

• Aislygn said:

Vials, too, are an expensive investment. I know I myself have three hundred, and I know other people that do the same thing with their vials, to be sure they have enough of everything they need, not limited to toxicologists either. Evey sixty months, having three hundred vials decay, especailly the sorts that are custom-ordered, you're looking at two or three hundred gold per vials, for the high end stuff. Assuming you have a jewel-encrusted custom guild vial made from... whatever, you're looking at ninety thousand gold just to replace the vials, not to mention whatever might have been INSIDE The vials, such as elixers, toxins or venoms. This is all, of course, assuming you don't want to use vialbelts, which I have to ask... Will there be customization for them? What do you mean they'll refill themselves? Refill themselves from where? How will they refill themselves?

It looks like the mark of the new tradeskill system is to reduce memory on the servers, much like the new message system does or tries to do. With the new vial system you won't need hundreds of vials, you'll only need the amount to have one vial of each elixir/toxin you want. The vialbelt will hold your refills that you buy. The paperless system, no longer useable items from decayed designs(I'm assuming unbought items only), and the reduction in the number of vials people will need all point to a reduction of memory used. I may be completely wrong in this, but that's what it's looking like to me.

• Will there be an easy way to transfer everything from one vialbelt to another?
  • I have one question. If I go inactive (8 days iirc for shop stalls) Will all my designs be thrown back into the system, and therefore open to decay time? So will I need to preserve all my designs if I accidentally go inactive longer than the decay time since they get taken off shelves? 
  • I don't mind the concept of kegs, as a lower type of flask alternative.  Like 1k sips held for 50k per keg or something akin to that. 
  • I'm a bit confused as to how crafter's shelves are going to work, admittedly partially based on comments from other players. Crafter shelves currently press pause on design decay times. Is this no longer going to be the case?
  • If it matters, I would also support a refund on the Tome. I understand both sides of the argument but I feel like the functionality is being changed a decent bit. That said, if it's not, I won't be mad, nor does this singular issue diminish my appreciation for all that Eusto's doing for us out of the goodness of his heart. <3
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • @Aislygn - It might be helpful for you to re-read my posts from yesterday. I think I've touched on each of your worries. Your primary concern is actually the exact opposite -- As long as an item crafted from that design still exists, the design can't be deleted.

To everyone - the purpose of this revamp is to ADD functionality and provide newer, easier opportunities to new and old crafters alike. The ONLY situations where we are actively taking away functionality are in crafted item decay times and the Tome of the Crafter, both of which are presented alongside new additions to make the old standard irrelevant or less appealing. I understand that some of you who already own Tomes are panicking about the changes, and I'll talk to Jeremy about possible solutions for you (just as I proposed the original change to him). Please, however, remember to keep in mind the people who come AFTER you who no longer need to pay to preserve 50 designs when they may only need one or two immortalized. This is meant to be an ENORMOUS quality of life improvement.

And I can't say it enough: You will have to try really, really hard to lose a design.

I have one question. If I go inactive (8 days iirc for shop stalls) Will all my designs be thrown back into the system, and therefore open to decay time? So will I need to preserve all my designs if I accidentally go inactive longer than the decay time since they get taken off shelves? 

If your shop closes, either through city action or your own inaction, your designs are no different than the designs of one who never owned a shop. They'll need refreshing every seven OOC months or so to stay alive. Any design that is currently approved will be approved after the changeover, and it'll get a full 180 OOC day time (+30 days grace) as a result.

I'm a bit confused as to how crafter's shelves are going to work, admittedly partially based on comments from other players. Crafter shelves currently press pause on design decay times. Is this no longer going to be the case? 

This is admittedly one place where we break from the old system in a less convenient but necessary way. Your design will no longer be completely immune from expiration because it's on a shelf -- it's still subject to the same timetable as other designs. However, because by nature an item would have to exist based on that design, it's impossible for the design to be deleted entirely. If you were to go inactive longer than seven OOC months, the designs would need reapproval to come out of defunct status, but they'd still be there, ready for you to hit the button.

• edited January 2013
    And I find myself still very confused about all the specifics about the new systems. This is the fourth time reading through this thread, now, and I just... Don't understand. I really don't see an answer to my questions, but that could be because all the additional terminology is confusing the hell outta me.

Also, it may be miscommunication, but I'm really not seeing where the points I was trying to make were addressed. I'm seeing a lot of things that have vaguely to do with it, but the questions themselves, I'm just not seeing. Could be because one of us means something, and it's being interpreted differently.
  • Aislygn said:
    And I find myself still very confused about all the specifics about the new systems. This is the fourth time reading through this thread, now, and I just... Don't understand. I really don't see an answer to my questions, but that could be because all the additional terminology is confusing the hell outta me.

Also, it may be miscommunication, but I'm really not seeing where the points I was trying to make were addressed. I'm seeing a lot of things that have vaguely to do with it, but the questions themselves, I'm just not seeing. Could be because one of us means something, and it's being interpreted differently.
    If you'd like to message me in-game with specific questions, I'll do my very best to clarify.
  • I appreciate that, thank you. I'll do that when I'm actually in the game next.
  • Eusto said:
     - Rather than forcing you to manage a thousand short-decay vials, we've introduced vialbelts. Think of these like a big belt of flasks. You tie one vial to each elixir type on the belt and it automatically refills upon being drained. Refill your belt with a couple thousand sips and go on with your life. Vialbelts are a craftable item.
    I assume by craftable you mean design-able. Which brings me back to my previous question. Will there be an easy syntax to transfer everything from one vialbelt to another? Also which trade skill will they fall into?

(I need to know if Khizan will have a valid excuse not to wear the pink belt with lime green vials I'll make just for him.)

Is there an announce post or something for what was previously decided on? I only started playing again a few months ago and I feel like I'm missing information from before when it comes to what is being said.
  • Whoops. I'm sorry that I missed your question, @Aulani! No detailed announce post, really, but the old forum has a big thread like this one.

Aulani
    said:
    I assume by craftable you mean design-able. Which brings me back to my previous question. Will there be an easy syntax to transfer everything from one vialbelt to another? Also which trade skill will they fall into?
    Your assumption is correct. I'll definitely have one in Tailoring. And yes, I want to make them as easy to manage as possible, so there will be as many convenience things as we can think of.
  • Aulani said:
    (I need to know if Khizan will have a valid excuse not to wear the pink belt with lime green vials I'll make just for him.)
    :(

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Eusto said:
    @Aislygn - It might be helpful for you to re-read my posts from yesterday. I think I've touched on each of your worries. Your primary concern is actually the exact opposite -- As long as an item crafted from that design still exists, the design can't be deleted.

To everyone - the purpose of this revamp is to ADD functionality and provide newer, easier opportunities to new and old crafters alike. The ONLY situations where we are actively taking away functionality are in crafted item decay times and the Tome of the Crafter, both of which are presented alongside new additions to make the old standard irrelevant or less appealing. I understand that some of you who already own Tomes are panicking about the changes, and I'll talk to Jeremy about possible solutions for you (just as I proposed the original change to him). Please, however, remember to keep in mind the people who come AFTER you who no longer need to pay to preserve 50 designs when they may only need one or two immortalized. This is meant to be an ENORMOUS quality of life improvement.

And I can't say it enough: You will have to try really, really hard to lose a design.

I have one question. If I go inactive (8 days iirc for shop stalls) Will all my designs be thrown back into the system, and therefore open to decay time? So will I need to preserve all my designs if I accidentally go inactive longer than the decay time since they get taken off shelves? 

If your shop closes, either through city action or your own inaction, your designs are no different than the designs of one who never owned a shop. They'll need refreshing every seven OOC months or so to stay alive. Any design that is currently approved will be approved after the changeover, and it'll get a full 180 OOC day time (+30 days grace) as a result.

I'm a bit confused as to how crafter's shelves are going to work, admittedly partially based on comments from other players. Crafter shelves currently press pause on design decay times. Is this no longer going to be the case? 

This is admittedly one place where we break from the old system in a less convenient but necessary way. Your design will no longer be completely immune from expiration because it's on a shelf -- it's still subject to the same timetable as other designs. However, because by nature an item would have to exist based on that design, it's impossible for the design to be deleted entirely. If you were to go inactive longer than seven OOC months, the designs would need reapproval to come out of defunct status, but they'd still be there, ready for you to hit the button.

In the case of city/towne shops, are all designs automatically removed from the shelf if the shop is transferred or shut down, then?

Does this change the process of selling other crafters' designs? I know several shopkeepers who commission patterns, share a shop, rent out or give away space, etc. Will all remain as-is if the shop ally configuration is on? If they lose access to a shop can they remove their design remotely?
  • Shop management essentially remains the same in terms of how shutdowns are handled.

Currently, only the creator of a design may sell it on a craftshelf or bar (if he or she is a shop ally). There's not remote design removal. I'm open to it.
  • Eusto said:
    Shop management essentially remains the same in terms of how shutdowns are handled.

Currently, only the creator of a design may sell it on a craftshelf or bar (if he or she is a shop ally). There's not remote design removal. I'm open to it.
    I don't have a horse in that particular race because I have a stall, but particularly if someone's city or towne shop is seized and the prior owner isn't able to remove the designs, remote design removal could be helpful.
  • Basically, how does the game know who actually owns a design at this moment? Does it currently track who submitted a specific design?  When the paperless conversion takes place will the designs in a player's shop automatically be credited to the owner of said shop?  The same question applies to a player's inventory as well.

Thank you for all your hard work!

• Penelope said:

Basically, how does the game know who actually owns a design at this moment? Does it currently track who submitted a specific design?  When the paperless conversion takes place will the designs in a player's shop automatically be credited to the owner of said shop?  The same question applies to a player's inventory as well.

Thank you for all your hard work!

Great question! Thanks to some hard work by one of our coders a few years ago, designs are tracked upon created and submission. So while shop designs will be converted to properly work on the shelf, no matter who owns the shop, they'll still be property of their creators. Likewise, if you're holding on to one of your friend's designs, s/he'll still be listed as the creator, but you'll continue to have access as well.
  • Announce #2233 is up, detailing how to apply to the Beta. You have five days!
  • Hi! Sorry I'm a bit late to the party on this, I'm not usually much of a forum-user. I did have a few questions and comments about the changes that I hope can be answered.

1) Will it be possible to delete unwanted designs or will we have to wait until they're naturally deleted from the system?

2) What about editing? A few times I've noticed a small flaw in a design that has somehow been missed by the approvers, and it would be great to have a way to fix that without having to start the approval process all over again by resubmitting the design.

3) How will forgetting a trade skill effect the designs we've got in the system, both ones that are permanent and ones that aren't. Will they be removed or will we still be able to renew them as desired?

4) How will paperless designs be organized? I presume something akin to a list of your designs can be given, but will there be a way to search for certain designs and item types?

5) If I understand the 'writs of creation' correctly, they'd be like a physical embodiment of a design put on a crafting shelf. Will we still only be able to add 50 designs per crafter shelves then? Also, will all designs currently stored on both crafting and normal shelves automatically create 'writs' or are we going to have to go through and do them all manually ourselves once the system converts?

6) Along the same lines, will we perhaps be able to add designs to more than one crafter's shelf now? Like if we wanted the same design in two different shelves. Or will it only be possible to have one 'writ' of that item at once. Would it be possible to have a line or something on the design that would state where it has already been added?

7A) In regards to "ownership" of a design, does this mean that we're going to lose any designs we currently hold that were not submitted by ourselves? I've inherited quite a few things over the years from people either as gifts, selling their stuff, etc and I know there are things out there I've submitted for people that I consider to be theirs and not mine. That will be a little bit frustating losing things I've paid for or have been gifted with, or have given to others, will there be any consideration for that? And what about things like guild shops, that often have a hodge podge of old designs from numerous members of their guilds.

7B) If it isn't possible at least to fix for past items, could we at least put something in for new designs that would let them be transferable to a new owner without needing to make them public? That way people could still do things like commissions, sell their designs, gift things, should they no longer wish to keep the design themselves.

8) Last one! I wanted to touch on the whole Tome thing. I think personally I'll be removing all my designs from my Tomes and then deciding what to add to the slots once the change has been put in. However I was thinking that perhaps there was a good medium between what is going to happen and what has already been mentioned by Khizan and others.

What about the creation of a new artifact item or similar that would create a number of permanent design slots. It would work very similarly to the Tome. You could sell them singularly but also have some bulk groupings of like ten, twenty-five, fifty, a hundred, etc, with maybe a slight discount on the higher amounts. Each slot could then be used to store a design permanently as you so wished, however you could also remove the design from the slot should you no longer want it, and place a new design in its stead. So essentially make the 2cr purchase be something permanent we could keep attached to us instead of to a design that we may not want in 20 IG years. Win, win?

Alright, I think that is far than enough from me!
    ** Yes, we're aware of the problems. Please do NOT use any HELP files at the moment.**.
    ** And don't try them now just see if they're really broken. **.
    ** Or credit conversion. Try not to do anything much right now. **.
    ** Don't panic, normal service will be restored as soon as possible. For now, enjoy the wonders of conversation. **.
    *** We will be rebooting in about 60 seconds ***.
    ** Don't panic. Just...stay close to your rosaries **.
    ** Monetary offers for Salvation accepted. **.

• Skye said:
    Hi! Sorry I'm a bit late to the party on this, I'm not usually much of a forum-user. I did have a few questions and comments about the changes that I hope can be answered.

1) Will it be possible to delete unwanted designs or will we have to wait until they're naturally deleted from the system? 
    That was something I hadn't considered giving to players, but I guess there's really not any harm in it. I'll add it in before the beta.

2) What about editing? A few times I've noticed a small flaw in a design that has somehow been missed by the approvers, and it would be great to have a way to fix that without having to start the approval process all over again by resubmitting the design.
    Editing designs will be much easier for us, but it's still something too problematic to give to players. Commenting on the design or messaging one of the Craft helpers will be the best way to accomplish small edits.

3) How will forgetting a trade skill effect the designs we've got in the system, both ones that are permanent and ones that aren't. Will they be removed or will we still be able to renew them as desired?
    Say you have Tailoring. You submit 30 Tailoring designs, they're all approved, and life is good. If you forget Tailoring, those designs are still yours, they're valid and beautiful and lovely. You just can't craft from them. If Tailoring was your -only- Tradeskill, you're out of the system entirely; with no way to access and refresh your designs, they'll eventually poof.

4) How will paperless designs be organized? I presume something akin to a list of your designs can be given, but will there be a way to search for certain designs and item types?
    I'm genuinely proud of how searchable and filterable DESIGN LIST and PATTERN LIST are. Each command is easy to use and pretty darn extensible on our end. I'll post some logs of the command in action, if you like.

5) If I understand the 'writs of creation' correctly, they'd be like a physical embodiment of a design put on a crafting shelf. Will we still only be able to add 50 designs per crafter shelves then? Also, will all designs currently stored on both crafting and normal shelves automatically create 'writs' or are we going to have to go through and do them all manually ourselves once the system converts?
    I need to clarify a little bit here: Writs of creation are entirely for the purpose of sharing the design itself with other people, whether on a normal shop shelf or (as you reference later in your post) through gifts/trades. Writs give anyone you please the ability to view and create your design. Interfacing with Crafter's shelves is a paperless process. You ADD a design to it by design #, and you REMOVE the same way. The 50-per-shelf limit will still apply.

In both cases, appropriate conversions will happen automatically. If you have in your inventory a design that you did not create, it will become a Writ representing that paperless design. When you consume the writ, you get access to the design. Any design on a normal, not-crafter shelf will be similarly converted to a Writ. Designs on crafter's shelves will be converted to the new craftshelf system. The only thing you'll need to do is adjust pricing on Libations bars, as that formula will have changed.

6) Along the same lines, will we perhaps be able to add designs to more than one crafter's shelf now? Like if we wanted the same design in two different shelves. Or will it only be possible to have one 'writ' of that item at once. Would it be possible to have a line or something on the design that would state where it has already been added?
    Yes. You'll be able to spread your design without limit. Additionally, the command DESIGN SHELVED will show where your design is being sold on Crafter's shelves.

I think the answers above cover question 7. Let me know if I've missed something. I appreciate your input on Tomes.
  • edited January 2013
    Alright, so if I understand you correctly, when the change goes in:

- Designs currently on crafter shelves will convert to something paperless.
    - Designs in normal shelves & being held will create writs.
    - Designs in tomes will be made into permanent designs.

Is that right?

Just one more thing, how will we later make a writ if we want to share a design? I presume there is just a command for that? And if we do that, then share it with someone, who then consumes it, will that mean you lose access it to it or will you both then be able to use it?

Thank you for answering and all the work you've obviously put into this, I'm really looking forward to seeing the end result, it sounds great!
    ** Yes, we're aware of the problems. Please do NOT use any HELP files at the moment.**.
    ** And don't try them now just see if they're really broken. **.
    ** Or credit conversion. Try not to do anything much right now. **.
    ** Don't panic, normal service will be restored as soon as possible. For now, enjoy the wonders of conversation. **.
    *** We will be rebooting in about 60 seconds ***.
    ** Don't panic. Just...stay close to your rosaries **.
    ** Monetary offers for Salvation accepted. **.
  • Eusto, I think you're going to need a GIANT FAQ for all the oldschool crafters!

Re: designs being spread out across as many shops as we want. Does this mean that I can craft a design in my inventory if it's also on a shelf? Because that would be sweet.
  • Lalitana said:
    Eusto, I think you're going to need a GIANT FAQ for all the oldschool crafters!

Re: designs being spread out across as many shops as we want. Does this mean that I can craft a design in my inventory if it's also on a shelf? Because that would be sweet.
    Don't worry. Quick-start guides are already in the works. I'll have early versions of most of them available to you in the beta and all will go live when the remake does. As for your question: Yes.

Skye said:
    Alright, so if I understand you correctly, when the change goes in:

- Designs currently on crafter shelves will convert to something paperless.
    - Designs in normal shelves & being held will create writs.
    - Designs in tomes will be made into permanent designs.

Is that right?
    Correct.

Just one more thing, how will we later make a writ if we want to share a design? I presume there is just a command for that? And if we do that, then share it with someone, who then consumes it, will that mean you lose access it to it or will you both then be able to use it? 
    The command is DESIGN DOCUMENT and it costs a small amount of gold (currently 100). You won't lose access to your design. You may distribute it however you please.
  •  I was curious if the Admin were considering the suggestion of giving a full refund of Tomes or if you guys are firm on only giving free preservation slots once the changes are put into effect.  Will there be a warning in-game for those of us who would rather trade them for either a full refund or the standard 2/3 refund before hand? I know I'm one of those that would rather have credits than the free preservation slots so I want to be sure I'm not stuck with them if I forget to check the forums for a few days.

Thanks again for the awesome work you guys are doing for tradeskills!

• Penelope said:

I was curious if the Admin were considering the suggestion of giving a full refund of Tomes or if you guys are firm on only giving free preservation slots once the changes are put into effect.  Will there be a warning in-game for those of us who would rather trade them for either a full refund or the standard 2/3 refund before hand? I know I'm one of those that would rather have credits than the free preservation slots so I want to be sure I'm not stuck with them if I forget to check the forums for a few days.

Thanks again for the awesome work you guys are doing for tradeskills!

There will not be full refunds. I'll be sure to give a few days' notice.
  • Just wanted to share something with you.

[spoiler]{=TEST=} elixlist
    Vial           Elixir                           Sips        Months Left 
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    vial16531      empty                            0           30
    vial16729      a caloric salve                  50          60
    You have 2 containers in your inventory.
    {=TEST=} vbelt summary
    **********************[ A plain grey vialbelt (#12747) ]***********************
    Slot                           Sips  Slot                           Sips  
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Caloric                        900   Health                         850
    *******************************************************************************
    {=TEST=} vbelt tap empty health
    Finding a corgi-shaped vial empty of an elixir of health, you quickly roll the mouth of the vial across one of the many spouts on a plain grey vialbelt. In only an instant, the pressurized liquid sprays into the vial and it is once again full.
    {=TEST=} elixlist
    Vial           Elixir                           Sips        Months Left 
    vial16531      an elixir of health              50          30
    vial16729      a caloric salve                  50          60
    You have 2 containers in your inventory.
    [[ snip lots of drinking spam ]]
    {=TEST=} drink health
    You drink the last drop of an elixir of health from a corgi-shaped vial.
    Finding a corgi-shaped vial empty of an elixir of health, you quickly roll the 
    mouth of the vial across one of the many spouts on a plain grey vialbelt. In 
    only an instant, the pressurized liquid sprays into the vial and it is once 
    again full.
    The elixir heals your body.
    =TEST=} vbelt summary
    **********************[ A plain grey vialbelt (#12747) ]***********************
    Slot                           Sips  Slot                           Sips  
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Caloric                        900   Health                         750
    *******************************************************************************[/spoiler]
  • If I drink my last health sip when I'm prone and webbed with two broken arms, will it automatically refill, or will I end up carrying around 50 health vials even after this change?

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• It refills regardless of circumstance. If you can sip, you can refill. I'll gladly take a gameplay > realism hit on this one.
  • I think what he means is that for everyone with a custom healing system will it spam things out because he can't control when the vial refills itself.