Skip to content

New Player Questions

SykesSykes middle of nowhere
edited April 2014 in General Discussion
Hello!

I am a long-time player of IRE muds. Most of my experience has been in Achaea. Having gotten bored with Achaea, I decided to try out some of the other IRE muds I haven't gotten into before. I'm willing to make a new character here if I made the wrong choice with Sykes, though I really really like this name! I tried asking for help on your newbie channel here, but got no response at all (could be a bad sign?). At any rate, I am looking for a very active org. The following is what I'm looking for in a new mud:

1) A very active org. This doesn't necessarily mean the guild/city has to be overflowing with members. Whatever the number, I would prefer them to be highly active. Engaging in RP, high levels of conflict, etc.

2) I'd like to have a nice mix of utility and combat-related skills. Conflict is what appeals to me about these games. If there is little to no conflict, or I have to lower myself to chasing random players around with the hopes of sparking some rp pk, I'm not interested. 

3) I find group combat extraordinarily appealing. This usually includes raids (love participating in raids even if I'm horrible at it), small group skirmishes, and organized conflict events. 

4) A welcoming atmosphere that includes new players is a must. Sure, we might not be useful for much, but we can use bashing attacks, so include us please! Also, orgs with members that stick together, whether evil or good, while offering a sense of brotherhood generally results in a much stronger group. 

I could probably go on and on, but these are the main things that I look for when trying a new game and when attempting to find my place in one. Any and all advice would certainly be welcomed. 

Comments

• Demonic and AM are your best bets. Their orgs are Khandava, Stavenn, Antioch, and Ithaqua. AM has a glut of utility-packed, good bashing classes with easy to pick up PK potential.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • MenochMenoch Raleigh, NC, USA
    If you are looking for a combat environment, going to Anti-Magick isn't really the best choice. I recently just left there because no one fights. However, in fact, any and all orgs are going to offer bits of what you have stated you are looking for, and I'm not going to derail your thread because some people want subordinates that will give them tasty city and guild credits.

Good luck and have fun!
  • Honestly, who gives a shit. Imperian is incredibly cyclical. The other circles will come around with the ebb and flow in population.

Find a profession that has skills that you think sound pretty badass. As long as it's not wytchen, hunter, asssassin/renegade, malignist, it's not an affliction bot and you can jump right in and start having fun.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    I honestly am contemplating dropping Imperian until Eldreth goes cleric, Ahkan owns Yhumara, Bellentine becomes Demonic's star fighter and Juran builds a new class. That's how cyclical Imperian can be :s

Tzolkin,
    Stormweavers, and
    Wardancers.

Would be my top picks
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Cross circling is fun (and lol-whut) (but so fun) (careful though, peeps be all like "TRAITOR!!" and outcitizen ya #castaway #branded4life #Disiscomfy)
    They'll even kick you out for participating in fights that supercede circle affiliations, then claim they accidentally hit enter and beg you to come back, and then ignore you when you say, "Nah, I'm good."
  • Menoch said:
    They'll even kick you out for participating in fights that supercede circle affiliations, then claim they accidentally hit enter and beg you to come back, and then ignore you when you say, "Nah, I'm good."

There's a difference between forming a roaming/citycamping ganksquad with members of the opposing circle to the extent that you end up accidentally leading them into your city, and  jumping into a shardfall or a monolith battle to get your PK on and grab opportunistic kills.

The latter will almost never be problematic; the former almost always.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

Which is almost exactly what happened. As I recall we were waiting and trying to tex outside someone holding a monolith, and apparently it was more than okay, since I was asked to come back immediately afterward. Facts, important since... well. I guess this is one of those eye of the beholder moments!
  • Menoch did not 'leave' AM. He was kicked out for cross circling and before I got home to investigate, he had already cut ties eagerly so he could play with Kryss and Ander, whose combat contributions to Imperian are summed up with the picture of a Greyhound Bus. Magick doesn't have any fight in them either, and the aforementioned three players do not constitute much differrnt. Their activities are largely based on antagonizing organizations (Kryss, Menoch) and picking personally motivated battles (All).

I will also say that Menoch's complaint about AM is narrow sighted. He is basically defining 'does not fight' as 'refuses to stir shit off hours in a helpless org' and his interpretation of being kicked out for fighting is actually his ousting being after insubordination and breaking roleplay. The circle did not want to go to an off hours shard fall because our shard research is finished and their rifts are full. It happens. There was not going to be an interesting engagement at that shardfall, either.

Demonic is the only circle with a tremendous amount of fight, but the circle is prosperous right now. AntiMagick is suffering the curse of status quo politically, a lack of direction or active entities (I am entrely sure Isra quit, they probably just haven't killed her yet), and their fighters reaching the end of their interest in the circle's class list. They had exhausted basically all options (Azefel and Septus) and wanted some new toys. I never fret about it because they inevitably come back, or have several times so long as I have been running the show.

Every circle has everything you want. I can tell you that you would not be disappointed in Antimagick on most of your fronts. Demonic, too, would be great for you. If you fancy you can lead by example, or can make a change there, by all means, help Magick out.

<div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
    Readlog deathsight for evidence of how frequently AM fights, shardfalls every ~3 hours. Yeah. Not pretty.

Arakis said 'I accidentally hit enter, please come back and I'll re-citizen you'. I thought about it, decided that I didn't care much for it anyway and magick was actually fighting with me, so I joined. Nothing really hard to understand here.

You on the other hand openly admitted to me many times you would probably leave for magick soon to play druid, except for the fact you are still cashing in on those sweet creds.
  • edited April 2014
    Yeah, I'm cashing in on running two organizations on the downswing. Strong plays. I'm curious when you are going to do something harmful for your circle and then mysterious vanish because 'Aetolia is better anyways'.

And man, it's Bard. At least get it right. I want to play that hot mess and figure out what is actually going on with it. :(
  • Shocker, Anti-magick rage kicked someone out of Antioch for working with magickers.

In the news again, Menoch claims he left on good terms and in a classy fashion from yet another city and that all stories to the contrary are spiteful lies to defile his pristine reputation

• Do we have to shit up this guy's thread? Take it elsewhere, please.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Am will fight, pretty much if someone says "hey let's go fight". You just have to be that guy. I'm about 99% sure you will get people willing to go to shardfalls and whatnot most of the time. You won't be fielding a monster force and occasionally people will be in the middle of other stuff, but for the most part the people in Am are generally down to go die/zerg gloriously.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited April 2014
    We have Bathan :) there can be only one true hero 
  • AzefelAzefel Singapore
    AM just has an innocent newb asking someone more experienced to help, resulting in 4 other people who don't have the slightest clue about coordination showing up and fuc screwing the team over. Just pretend you're playing a defiler and all your team does is ravage (no toxin) with thornroot on every balance :(
  • Hi guys. Remember, this thread is about helping a new player find his place, not you guys measuring egos. You have a few other threads you're derailing over personal differences, let's keep this one focused on the questions asked.
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    If you pick an organization and don't like it, as a newbie, you get full refund in your lessons and such. No one week fault you for trying out things till you feel comfortable where your character resides.

As for fighting, if you like to fight, it doesn't matter if only two people in your entire circle fight. You'll find a way to combat regardless. PvP is in the blood.
  • As for fighting, if you like to fight, it doesn't matter if only two people in your entire circle fight. You'll find a way to combat regardless. PvP is in the blood.

I disagree with this. The statement might hold a bit more weight for an established warrior, but there is nothing particularly entertaining about being outgunned at every scheduled conflict you find yourself mixed up in. Especially when you are trying to learn the ropes.

The environment might be cyclical, but as a new player you'd be better jumping on during a peak than a valley.
    “We abjure labels. We fight for money and an indefinable pride. The politics, the ethics, the moralities, are irrelevant."
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited April 2014
    Or the color of your Visa amirite.

Sorry Sykes I just like seeing my own avatar on Recent Discussions. Feel free to hit Iniar with questions (or literally) (regardless of what circle you are) - its all good fun (mostly) (kinda) (probably) :p
  • SykesSykes middle of nowhere
    Thanks for the replies. Demonic sounds like it might be best. Actually, I think I made this character in the demonic faction anyways. Just haven't really played yet.
  • AzefelAzefel Singapore
    Demonic is by far the best to start in, now.