Skip to content

Quarterly Literary/Arts

ANNOUNCE NEWS #2558
Date: 3/1/2014 at 21:02
To  : Everyone
Subj: Quarterly Literary and Arts reminder

As a reminder, this is the last month to submit for the Quarterly Art and Literature contest. The instructions for how to submit can be found at HELP QUARTERLY ARTS, and I strongly encourage you to consult them before submitting. You have until midnight GMT time on the last day of this month (March) to submit your work. No late submissions will be accepted, no excuses.

As this is a trial run to judge interest in this sort of regular contest, if there are not enough submissions at the end of this quarter, we will not be continuing further. If there is enough interest as shown by submissions, the next quarter theme will be announced before midnight GMT on April 1st.

We look forward to your submissions,
Ashvani and Sifka

Penned by my hand on the 19th of Ferinus, in the year 41 AM.

Figured I'd post it here for those that didn't see it. I just want to say that I hope this gets a lot of attention, as I'd hate to see it die before it even gets the chance to start. We asked for ArtBards on the forums and this looks like the trial run.
<div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>

Comments

• I learned how to draw at one point, but I'm not sure what to draw that would be interesting and relates to new players.

Similarly, what to write? I guess I could make a newbie and stumble around, but any ideas would be welcome.
    Drill baby drill because luck is a skill.
  • Ok so, lore question, just how does someone get the power to turn into a wyvern to begin with? Do they just read a book or are they part of the blood of the wyvern clan or has it never been clarified?
  • IniarIniar Australia
    The shining moonbeams of Aryana jiggles the molecular structure of your magickal antibodies, which then undoes the natural inhibition of a secretly nascent DNA pattern introduced into Sylayan genes via a retrovirus in the year 1 AM by a powerful and secretive military organisation. What follows then is a temporary manifestation of said DNA, allowing oneself to become a dragon, sorry, I mean wyvern. Alternatively, all those basilisk hallucinogens lets them believe they are Wyverns.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • It's a magickal study based entirely on the emulation of one of nature's most dangerous magickal predators - the Wyvern. It's basically Bonding But Better And Forget The Rest. You use magick to physically shapeshift.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • I was going to be like, OMG BLOOD OF THE WYVERN but back to the drawing board I guess.

I may try to draw the renegade from the kinsarmar newbie quest, but the story part is harder to come up with due to the simplistic background of the newbie intro.  The original intro was a lot more involved, in terms of storyline.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Hunters found that the power of Moradeim allowed them to shapeshift into the great and mythical wyvern, 'suspected as such because of the lack of wyvern blood procured for Anathema's curse of Lamentation'. Their newly found affinity with the forest basilisks allowed them to exercise their supremacy with these creatures.

I don't understand the second half of that sentence. Does it mean that they acquired transformation powers by the omission of another agent? That it was contingent on someone having a big oopsie? Where is Lionas?
  • I think what you're asking is this:

Demonic got sent on a wild goose hunt to collect all of the blood from the animals that were found in the old bonding skillset: jaguars, dryads, jackdaws, etc. We couldn't find the wyverns blood, though, because there are no wyvern in game (we were set up to fail from the start for exposition). Because we couldn't find wyvern blood for the ritual, druid's still retained their  bond with that animal. Somehow it got stronger? Unsure. But now they can bond better with Wyverns than anything else, because it wasn't severed like the other bonds due to Anathema's ritual.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    That's what I mean, thank you. They retained one thing, and it somehow got stronger. One can always argue the 'mastery of one over jack of all trades', but that's really... convenient, shall we say. I'll stop derailing now.
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    Got mine in finally. How many others?

• Aleutia said:

Demonic got sent on a wild goose hunt to collect all of the blood from the animals that were found in the old bonding skillset: jaguars, dryads, jackdaws, etc. We couldn't find the wyverns blood, though, because there are no wyvern in game (we were set up to fail from the start for exposition). Because we couldn't find wyvern blood for the ritual, druid's still retained their  bond with that animal. Somehow it got stronger? Unsure. But now they can bond better with Wyverns than anything else, because it wasn't severed like the other bonds due to Anathema's ritual.

Wait... are you actually bitter about how that event was handled, or just trying to say that it was something that could only have had one ending because it was a skill release event? Because I must say... I was actually pretty pissed at the time that even when it was our profession being released, you guys were the ones who got the event, and it was centered around around dealing magick another blow.

More on point... anyone know if you can submit one picture and one literary piece, or only one or the other? It doesn't seem to specify in HELP QUARTERLY ARTS, and I can't seem/am too lazy to track down the original post.
  • That's a pretty factual representation of the history of the event. "A blow to magick" is not something to start cryfacing over, it's actual a nice little origin story that fits in with Khandava's roleplay while further defining Magick's rp.' Looking back, Khandava's transition to demonic was probably one of the most well executed events that catered to the entire game. Everyone had their own, how would you say it...organic experience with the change. At its core, the event was on rails but everything between A-Z was up to interpretation. One of the best take home messages from the Khandava event was "keep it simple stupid."

We made outline of the story.
    Grael gave us the ability to make rooms demonic.
    Lionas, Aleutia, and I randomly made rooms demonic, trying to make it look like an infection.
    Lionas and I pretended to fight it by setting it on fire.
    We asked for help from Magick to help combat the blight. They rp'd their little hearts out.
    Galt and Kalon went all ooc chicken little, THE SKY IS FALLING, KHANDAVA IS DEMONIC (which, while ooc was not bad rp)
    AM was convinced a demon had snuck through the gate and they were investigating and doing seances and shit.
    Demonic wanted to meet the demonic that was spreading the taint and went all CSI in the forest.
    Khandava severed all of its ties with which was perceived to be holding it back in a brutal fashion. First act? Take something that was Khandava's anyways and redefine it according to their new paradigm...thus, undead lyria (who is creepy and awesome and wonderful).

The best part was that where was 1% immortal involvement. The rest of it was kids playing in the playground. When they tied up the loose ends, they still stayed true to the whole feel of the event" and tied it in really well with the newly released classes. Everyone nailed it and it was amazing.
  • Err, I'm not talking about Khandava discovering Miracle-Gro®. I was talking about the profession release event and killing the bonding spirits, which happened quite a few months later. I can see how you could have missed that, what with not having actually read any of what I wrote and all...

Also, found the original announce post for the contest, it's ANNOUNCE 2516, and it seems to suggest you can only submit one or the other. Now I'm torn, because I have ideas for both categories.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Give me the other one. I'll submit it for you.
  • edited March 2014
    Kalon said:

Aleutia said:

Wait... are you actually bitter about how that event was handled, or just trying to say that it was something that could only have had one ending because it was a skill release event? Because I must say... I was actually pretty pissed at the time that even when it was our profession being released, you guys were the ones who got the event, and it was centered around around dealing magick another blow.

More on point... anyone know if you can submit one picture and one literary piece, or only one or the other? It doesn't seem to specify in HELP QUARTERLY ARTS, and I can't seem/am too lazy to track down the original post.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here. Mostly because my compassion for anything regarding people died about the time the tow truck's boom scourged the front end of our car at midnight and rendered our ability to get home somewhere in the negatives.

You need to quit harping about that event. I'm not pissed about it. I could honestly care less. It was fairly unremarkable in the whole of things. It was a lot of exposition on demonic's part. The most irritating thing about it was Anathema screaming at Khandava I'M A GOD YOU HAVE TO DO WHAT I SAY. WHY AREN'T YOU DOING IT. YOU CAN'T ENEMY ME I'M A GOD. (Real timeline of events there. Unfun. Much banning of her order. Zero shits given.) Consequently, due to Anathema having a raging ego at the time? Khandava dropped out about a quarter ways into the event. Maybe half. Lionas took his ball and the rest of us evil hippies went home.

It was also lot better than you give it credit for. What SHOULD have happened is magick should have sat there for a minute, took stock, and instead of once again missing the boat, held it up as a pretty damn solid reason for at least Celidon to do something retaliatory in game. Instead we got you pissing and moaning on the forums months later. There was a tragedy in lore with it. I'll give magick that, because it pained my soul a little. I love druid lore. It was my favorite class. Someone should have done their research more and instead of having the spirits of the animal scream 'we're free' when they were being released, it should have been a solemn procession. I'll give you that. But only that.

With that, we can't always win. And magick has a nasty case of "I'm the good guy no matter what". That needs to change. Someone over there needs to get their big kid pants on and go try and mess up something of Stavenn's or Khandava's. It's pretty easy. Go put in an org request. Go talk to Svorai. Get an idea that isn't 'bring Lyria back as a puppy!"

In the future, if you want to be taken more seriously? Write a thoughtful, calm critique so admin can know what the hell they did wrong. Not sit there screaming months on end MAGICK WAS MADE TO LOOK WEAK. Well no shit. Maybe you should have turned it around. Here's a fair warning: it takes a lot of time and effort to come up with an event. You need patience. You can't get instant gratification in regards to something like what happened. You need time to sketch out an idea, get approval, and flesh it out to make it awesome. That can take months.
  • To answer the question - Only 1 submission in total for now. I believe the ladies running it will look into that decision depending on how the first round goes.
  • Hopefully more (mine included) will come in at the end.

I'm pretty sure that someone had sex with a wyvern at some point, or maybe the wyvern was bribed.  Good thing for them that Anathema's dead :O
    Yeah, was partly confused about it, cause the help file doesn't mention anything about quantity limitation. Would really like to see more submissions.
  • I want more submissions so this process doesn't die before it lifts off. I want these quarterly and more. We bitched for ArtBards and this is our chance. I don't get why we aren't embracing it.

Is it the theme?
    Sarrius said:

I want more submissions so this process doesn't die before it lifts off. I want these quarterly and more. We bitched for ArtBards and this is our chance. I don't get why we aren't embracing it.

Is it the theme?
    I was thinking the same, since it was slightly harder to come up with anything substantial that related to the current theme.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Next theme (or replace this one): Major turning points in your characters life. Because everyone loves talking about themselves. (Manipulation Rule #1)
  • I plan to submit something, but I am also having trouble with this theme. Especially as I plan to write something, rather then draw. (Which I am only passable at.)
  • IniarIniar Australia
    What's the theme? Newbie Alert? Alt masking as Newbie? Will give it a whirl later.
  • AzefelAzefel Singapore
    edited March 2014
    Aleutia said:
    I could honestly care less.
    MAYBE IF YOU DIDN'T CARE, HE WOULD STOP.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Svorai said:

To answer the question - Only 1 submission in total for now. I believe the ladies running it will look into that decision depending on how the first round goes.

I thought this meant only Mathiaus has submitted. If Lionas were here he'd say, "Reading comprehension, Iniar. lrn2read."
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited March 2014
    Aetolia has so much more newbie material to offer. They have like 18 Draven's poaching people off the island. All we have is "This is our newbie vomiting to death at the spring. Best decision."
  • I'd submit something but I'm just not interested in the prompt, if that helps.
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • Please see Announce news #2564 for a clarification about the quarterly theme. If you have questions, it would be faster to direct them in game to either @Ashvani or myself via messages.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    I wonder if a meme of frustrating conversations suffice. I am guessing not, but boy oh boy.
  • Can we submit both writing and art?