IMPORTANT: This is a draft edition of the system and is very subject to change based on your feedback. Please give feedback.
We will be adding new features to sects/cults that revolve around shrines and sanctums. Shrines will be built outward from your temple and will house powerful relics that will give your cult or sect special powers. As your web of shrines grows, battles will begin over shrine placement and the relics they contain. We want this system to include people that like to PvP, PvE, or just RP as much as possible. This way people can help or contribute in ways they enjoy to play the game.
The purpose of the system is to:
- Make sects/cults more interesting.
- Provide fun new features (relic powers and sanctums)
- Create a PvP mechanic (shrine wars)
- Create a RP mechanic (negotiating shrine placements between enemies and allies)
- Create a market for holy relics, comms, and other shrine items.
- Add more value to bashing and questing (relics, shrine items, etc)
Remove any ideas from your minds about the ways shrines used to work here or on other games. We want to do something new, and I considered naming them something else, but I feel like the word shrine embodies them best. There are some similarities of course, but we want to make it as new as possible.
- In general shrines will take a good amount of time to build up and tear down. We are shooting for something that will take 24 hours to do (if there is no resistance). This will allow people to fight back.
- Cult and Sect members will be able to build shrines outward from their altar.
- Cults will have a limit (not sure what) to the number of shrines they can build.
- Shrines must be within 5 rooms of the altar or an existing shrine with 300 points or more (see shrine strength in BUILDING SHRINES below)
- Shrines that are cut off from the altar (not within 3 rooms of the altar or a shrine with at least 300 points) will slowly fall apart.
- Shrines have special powers based on the relic they protect. (See RELICS below)
- When a shrine is destroyed, the relic is ruined.
- Shrines increase the number of rooms the org can have in their Sanctum. (See SANCTUMS below)
Building shrines is expensive, however they should be fairly hard to kill off. We want killing off a shrine to be quite an accomplishment.
- Shrines are created using the following items.
- Relic: Each relic has a different power that will give the shrine a special power.
- Belief: Building the shrine will have an initial belief cost.
- Normal Comms: Initial basic comm cost (stone, wood, cloth). Working on this still.
- Special Comms: Shrines require four special comm parts to 'power' in order to complete.
- Blood : Gained from PK
- Spirit : Gained from PvE
- Virtue : Gained from Questing
- Fortune: Normal gold
- Special Comms
- Each part of the shrine can be strengthened from 1 to 100 points
- A shrine must be at 200 total points for the relic to be effective.
- A shrine must be at 300 points to be expanded from.
- A shrine at 400 points (max) will require twice the faith to defile.
- Blood, Spirit and Virtue shrine parts are earned instead of experience, at a configurable rate. For example, a player can turn off PK experience gain and will get 'blood comms' instead of PK XP. Alternatvely they can set it to 50% or anything like that. This is the same for all the XP types. Fortune will just take gold coins.
- These new special comms can be traded and sold to other players.
- Shrines cannot be build within the influence of another shrine that does not belong to it.
- Basically the rooms your shrine influences will fall under the ownership of the sect/cult. Let the fight begin.
SANCTIFY AND DEFILE SHRINES
The basic idea is that shrines are NOT easy to kill off. Killing off a shrine will take a coordinated effort via PvP and PvE in most cases.
- The battle for shrines will revolve around the faith that has been placed in the shrine.
- When first built, the shrine will be at 50% faith (working on a good starting point)
- Sanctifying and defiling has a faith cost.
- Players use their faith to build or defile a shrine.
- When a shrine hits 0% it is destroyed.
- Shrines can only be defiled or sanctified once per hour.
- Shrines can be DEFILED once an hour. More often if it has been sanctified in that time.
- Shrines can be SANCTIFIED once an hour. More often if is has been defiled in that time.
- Sanctity or defile will reduce or increase its faith by 5%.
- Both commands will take 30 seconds to complete. Being attacked (or attacking) will stop the action.
- Each shrine require belief per game month to maintain. The more shrines your cult/sect has, the more belief it will take to maintain them.
- If your sect/cult does not have belief, your shrines will slowly lose faith.
Relics are placed in shrines and give them all a special power. All relics have different powers. Important: How relics are generated and their powers is going to evolve quite a bit.
- Relics are obtained via a variety of methods.
- Killing boss mobs
- Completing quests
- Rare drops from 'normal' mobs
- Purchases from traveling salesmen (mobs)
- More common relics may appear/reset in certain areas on occasion.
- Relic rarity is based on their powers. Some of the relics will be very, very rare.
- Relic powers can have multiple levels, strengthening the effect of that power. Rarity is a factor of power combination and level combination.
- Some relics are created by combining other relics.
- Relics can be traded and sold to other players.
SAMPLE RELIC POWERS
This is an initial list which will grow quite a bit before we release the system. Even as I am typing this, we are talking about a more complicated system that revolves around only being able to find weaker relics, and more powerful relics can only be found via combining various relics. Important: How relics are generated and their powers is going to evolve quite a bit.
- Web wide
- Reduced belief upkeep per shrine. Having a ton of this makes the drain go negative, and actually gains you belief/day.
- Extra belief when sacrificing
- Reduction in belief required to unlock rituals
- Reduce the cost to perform a certain ritual
- Caravan Speed
- Larger Sanctum
- Rooms influenced by this shrine
- Allow the use of altar-rituals within influence of this shrine
- Health regen within influence of this shrine
- Mana regen within influence of this shrine
- Increase skill levels
- Crafting speed
- Harvest speed
- Fish weight
- Private rooms
- Sense travel of enemies
- Block enemy communication (except says)
- Can hear all talking in range
- Leveled stat gain or loss
- Celerity effect
- Slow enemy movement
- Shrine Room only
- Starburst/Redemption (not sure how that would work yet)
- Increase/Decrease res time
- Balance and EQ speed/slow (that's very powerful, not sure how it would work)
Sanctums a special sect areas that can only be accessed by the sect members. They can be infiltrated by other cults/sects, but it will be fairly hard and really only possible when a player entered their sanctum and is not paying attention. We forsee these as areas that are expansions of the mythos of the sect and can be filled with creatures, special mobs, and quests if players desire.
- Sanctums are accessed via the temple.
- Entering a Sanctum will cost faith.
- Cults get 10 rooms. Sects get 25.
- Rooms can be built via player input at a faith cost to the cult/sect.
- Cults/Sects get a portal point for every few shrines they have (not sure on the number)
- Portal points lead to different sub areas within the Sanctum.
- Subareas via portal points are 10 rooms
- Portal points will become inactive if a cult/sect loses shrines.
- Cults/Sects can submit mobs for their area.
- Faith is spent when placing mobs or a spawner to create the mobs.
- Quests can be placed on mobs, they must be done by an Entity and only for sects.
- Cults will be given access to 5 room temples.
- Add more environments to temple building.