Skip to content

Why Imperian?

Greetings all,

I've been an onlooker of IRE games for a while and have been debating which to play. The aspects of Imperian really draw me in, however I wanted to hear from you all what sets Imperian apart from the other games?

Thanks.

Comments

• You point accusingly at a polka-dotted llama.
  • We are allowed to kill people like Lartus for being Lartus.

Actual reasons: we have the cult system, which has the potential for some cool written roleplay.

We also have a mechanical focus on making team combat a thing, for the sake of being inclusive instead of exclusive. It isn't some people's bag, but if lite combat engagements in big groups is your thing, boy have I got a conflict system for you.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • Because Imperian is largely what you make of it. Want to be a PK stud? You're in Imperian, you can do that. Want to get involved in politics? You're in Imperian, you can do that. Want to dig up some cool RP? You're in Imperian, you can do that. If you want to have a fun combat system that you can actually use without getting issued and penalized? You're in Imperian, you can do that. (This part imagined based on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98nNpzE6gIs)

Honestly, though you can't really tell it by the forums right now, most of the people are also really cool and friendly (though we do have our conversational meltdowns on a semi-regular basis - they tend to mostly be across the circle lines, not within [certain rare exceptions excluded]) and so if you need help, just ask. If you want to dig up so cool RP with good people, just ask. I've been playing for about 4-5 months or so now and really enjoyed it.
  • Thanks!

This is the type of feedback I was looking for. What draws me most into an RPG is a dynamic world, interesting/challenging dungeons, pvp, & politics. Of weighting all the IRE options, I'm thinking Imperian fulfills my desires.

Btw, great youtube link.

• Kurion said:
    Thanks!

This is the type of feedback I was looking for. What draws me most into an RPG is a dynamic world, interesting/challenging dungeons, pvp, & politics. Of weighting all the IRE options, I'm thinking Imperian fulfills my desires.

Btw, great youtube link.
    If you do decide to try out Imperian, roll and play a in each circle/city to see which you are most comfortable, and is most comfortable with you. Nothing like sinking 100 hours into a character to find out that you don't like the people you are sharing an environment with.
  • Good advice Cade,

I plan on going Mage. Am I able to switch circle/cities with that one character? Or will I need to reroll per circle/city?
  • edited December 2013
    Unfortunately that's a crippling downside, and why you want to make alts if you want to try a different group because if you want to leave your current you are mechanically forced to change everything else (RP, Class, Cults and anything else.). There is a very suffocating aspect about the classes but hopefully someday there will be some variety of neutrality somewhere. I know it was said somewhere you can join any guild with any class but MECHANICs do not let you change unless you're going between Celidon/Kinsarmar, I imagine.

Not to mention the extremely steep lesson loss when you do decide you want to change... :/
    (Only if we keep voting!)
  • This veers a little from my original question. However, are there other planes of existence? Like plane of fire/water/whatever?

Also, just to confirm... there are dungeons w/ quests & puzzles?
  • There aren't really planes of existence that you can visit and explore, but we know they exist and are shown in some of our lore and abilities.

There are a lot of quests, but only really a few areas that can be considered "puzzles".

One fun thing about Imperian is the wave system we have for some of our newer and revamped bashing areas. The area gets tougher as the early "waves" (usually undead or horde) are killed off.
  • AzefelAzefel Singapore
    Before death was trivialized, the world bosses required some degree of planning by a group to take down, which was kind of fun in a way, and I suppose by a longshot is a little bit of a 'dungeon'-type thing. I guess if you still want to do it with a really small group now it'll still require a bit of tactics maybe.
  • GabrielGabriel Fort Valley, Georgia US
    A few of us have tried that road.

Forget about the, "You're doing it wrong." crowd. The only real down side.... a lack of skills. 

If only there was a circle neutral profession with only utility skills and a bashing attack.
  • GabrielGabriel Fort Valley, Georgia US
    edited May 2014
    Daydreaming here...

Profession: Wanderer

Skills:
    Trailblazing - remove anti-demon fires and replace barkskin with some road-toughened body buff?
    Smithing - remove circle related skills and replace with ability to dsl with weapons you've made?
    Bowmanship?

Armour: Ringmail?

Gives enough utility to putter around and hunt. Underwhelming PVP, but that's not really the point of the profession. Can make a living hawking your wares and hunting. Seems 100% self sufficient given Caanae is set up with just about everything you'd need i.e. tutor and such.

• Faaron said:
    I'm drawn into Imperian because of it's vast world and ways you can play.  I personally prefer free style while learning this world and exempt myself from joining any guild at this time.  What I enjoy the most about this style of gaming, is the world is what you make of it, you build a character of your choosing and explore the world around you.

Though I am very new to Imperian and have created some basic videos promoting this awesome game, I have been shown the exit two times in 3 days already.  Once for simply not wanting to participate in a guild yet.  Indeed guilds have their place in this and other games, but perhaps learning the basics would be far more important to anyone joining.

Being told I am not playing the game as intended spoils the fun.  So far I've shunned the negative remarks and continue to explore and learn the world of Imperian.
    Actually, I tried to talk to him about city security as he was idling off siege and with 0 defenses up.  He just walked away while I was in the middle of giving him a cloak tattoo...
  • Cassius said:
    Faaron said:
    I'm drawn into Imperian because of it's vast world and ways you can play.  I personally prefer free style while learning this world and exempt myself from joining any guild at this time.  What I enjoy the most about this style of gaming, is the world is what you make of it, you build a character of your choosing and explore the world around you.

Though I am very new to Imperian and have created some basic videos promoting this awesome game, I have been shown the exit two times in 3 days already.  Once for simply not wanting to participate in a guild yet.  Indeed guilds have their place in this and other games, but perhaps learning the basics would be far more important to anyone joining.

Being told I am not playing the game as intended spoils the fun.  So far I've shunned the negative remarks and continue to explore and learn the world of Imperian.
    Actually, I tried to talk to him about city security as he was idling off siege and with 0 defenses up.  He just walked away while I was in the middle of giving him a cloak tattoo...
    My browser happen to crash, but I came back as soon as loaded my game, thanks for assuming I just walked away though ;)
  • At any rate, I'm slowly learning the game at my pace.  It'sso far the best one I came across and look forward to playing long term . . . time will tell  :)
  • Faaron said:
    Cassius said:
    Faaron said:

My browser happen to crash, but I came back as soon as loaded my game, thanks for assuming I just walked away though ;)
    Faaron leaves to the southwest.
    The inking process is ruined, leaving random unfinished marks.
    Faaron - Gates of the Batrisian O (the Batrisian outpost) (4411)

You can see my misunderstanding.

• Cassius said:
    Faaron said:
    Cassius said:
    Faaron said:

Faaron leaves to the southwest.
    The inking process is ruined, leaving random unfinished marks.
    Faaron - Gates of the Batrisian O (the Batrisian outpost) (4411)

You can see my misunderstanding.

well when it crahed I pressed some keys, nothing happened, like I said I restarted browser and loaded the game.  Sorry you were mislead.
  • edited May 2014
    Cassius  Hopefully soon I will be using mudlet as soon as I discover all the scripts I want for it.  I prefer playing most games outside of web browsers.

BTW, I did get a tattoo you recommended as soon as I got back into the game.  So the intent of disappearing was not intended.
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    Mudlet is amazing, and most people have lua knowledge to help you out.