Skip to content

Custom Attacks and Spells

edited November 2014 in New Ideas
Hey forum lurkers!

I was just thinking about Imperian while smoking a cigarette, and I thought of something that I wanted to share. Custom attacks and spells! It may have been suggested before, but as I hopefully will explain decently enough, I think a few factors make this quite a solid idea at this time in Imperian's life.

Throughout my time playing Imperian, I've often steered away from certain classes. The majority of my time, I've spent in anti-magick, simply because they have loads of combo classes! In my mind, being able to combo a few attacks in bashing or PK makes both activities more enjoyable. As a monk, if I got bored, I might use a different punch in a combo to keep things fresh. Or, if I was a WD, I might stop splitleaping and do a kickflip on an enemy I knew I was going to kill, so I would regain balance faster -- but ultimately, when I think about it, the act of using a slightly different alias or seeing a slightly different attack on the screen was what I really enjoyed.

Perhaps I am the only one, but is there anyone else who has put a negative in the 'pros and cons' list when changing a class, just because they have a single bashing attack, or because the class is a knight and dsl spam is mind-numbing? I hope not! (cause that may mean I'm slightly demented)

So after all the preface, the idea is simply being able to emote your own attacks.

Most of you will remember how EMOTE was changed a while back. You can now format your emotes a lot better than you used to, and my example here is pretty similar to those syntax changes. I've used %S to denote the currently wielded shield and %W for weapon. %T is the target.

DSL CUSTOM TARGET swiftly pulls her %S wide to the left as she deftly thrusts her %W twice into %T.

Eujja swiftly pulls her banded shield wide to the left as she deftly thrusts her shortsword twice into a black rat.

My example obviously isn't the best. But think of it this way: Knights can announce their own fighting style with a slash, mages can demonstrate their own techniques for channeling the elements, malignists can smile sadistically as they give a small child the evileye...

As I tend to do, I'm sure some of you are mentally shooting this example down already. There are definitely a few things that would have to be addressed to make this possible, no doubt, but do we really want to live in a world with vanilla DSL?

Just some things popping into my head:

• Who gets to do this? Do all classes? Maybe combo classes don't need it / don't need it for every attack? Though, maybe it's fine for them, since the dawn of COMBO UCP UCP UCP UCP TARGET, you could just emote a COMBO
  • Perhaps it could be a bit of a credit dump, like buying a deathglory orb. EMOTE your own attacks for 300 credits! 
  • It could be free, and available to all!
  • Would need to consider how to format killing blows / multiple crits in an emoted combo
  • We would probably need to be able to issue or effecively discourage the Templars who choose to start hunting locusts with their handbags.
  • Maybe it could be suitable for pk with a bit of thought? With Garrynbot now reporting, clearly, every affliction we're hit with, does the spam matter so much? We get a message from toxins, so we could change the dsl/doublestab/evileye message (with maybe a character limit)
  • If you could use it against a player, it would be brilliant for RP. No longer do you have to feel like a fool for emoting something that will do 0 damage.
As I tend to do, I'm sure some of you are mentally shooting this example down. There are definitely a few things that would have to be addressed to make this possible, no doubt, but do we really want to live in a world with vanilla DSL?

Thanks for your time, lurkers!

Comments

• Whilst I'm all for more varied attacks, all this will really do is create a situation where there is an infinite amount of custom messages to learn. I imagine Azefel for one would weep mango-flavoured tears at the prospect of having to create a zillion more subs.

• edited November 2013
    Why not just make a whole bunch of subs for your attacks, throw em in a string list and randomly use them for subs.. Rather than making alot of work for the admins it'd probably be easier and faster to do it client side too.

• AzefelAzefel Singapore
    If anything, give attacks a general attack message kind of thing and let people sub it client-side to whatever the hell they want it to look like.
  • Take a page out of Aetolia's book and have a CONFIG for skill messages?

<person> uses Chivalry Doubleslash.
    <slash 1 line>
    -venom if any-
    <slash 2 line>
    -venom if any-
    -----------------------Prompt Line Here----------------------
  • IniarIniar Australia
    no. :(
    1) I'd rather Jeremy and team spend time fixing skillsets and writing major arcs
    2) you'll ruin Khizan's pattern recognition skills
    3) Brishi's incendiaries will look less and less like arrows, and more and more like six-headed hydras
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • AzefelAzefel Singapore
    I'd just give whoever my subs for CMUD anyway if they want.
  • I need a mod to come in here and capitalize C, A, and S in this discussion's title for me. =/
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Oh hey, look: a money spinner.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure