Skip to content

Sects: Orders are dead, long live Orders!

124»

Comments

• A champion system is a bad mechanic. God, champion systems are terrible mechanics. I can't think of a good thing that comes from them. I'm going to channel Gurn here and say that's too pvp centric for a sect. You're going to create super sects that are pvp based, buying pvp rituals and kicking the pvp crap out of everyone. Worse off, the way you design your game, it's very rock/paper/scissors. If you're champion isn't the flavor of the month imba, you're s.o.l. Champion systems are bad because they're exclusive, not inclusive. If you want to glorify this white knight stuff, make a mini-game where you can earn benefits. Don't make it the main line mechanic.

After that, just because Lusternia is weird adoesn't make mythological pets a bad idea. Mythology and fantasy are riddled with people gaining 'pets' because they have access to a fayth. Why should Imperian be any different? You sell weird fantasy pets for tokens. Why can't I earn one through roleplay, bashing, and pvp through my religion? I fought for Olanre for 10 years and I roleplayed that she gifted me a blighted war moose. Aulani bashed for Khizan and deals with his crap so Samaos let her ride an efreeti. It's completely legit, sought after, and non PVP.

Passive XP matters if you're looking into slight mp/hp boosts (ustream), aspect perks or chasing rank #1. It also matters for the <100 who litter the game with their peasant antics. (Yes, there are people who play this game who are not aspect.) They outnumber us.

Lastly, cults should very much be included. You're missing the scope of the system. Aka: Big picture. Look at the world, look at any genre of literature. Many organizations have humble beginnings and get involved when it's 2-3 people. That's an epic story right there. Ahkan, Lionas, Kanthari, and Aleutia started the cult of toxins by rolling up into AM and poisoning the kool-aid. Ten years later, we've got a regular Manson family picnic of 20 serial killers and AM is on the down swing. Jeremy hit this nail on the head. Cults can participate but without bonuses or with maluses. If you're willing to show up to the Varsity scrum with your J.V. cult and try to pull out a win...damn, you should be rewarded and enjoy yourself doing it. People are always looking for a good story or a good hook. Cults/Sects give you that. It would be a shame to deny a cult access to developing their own story because of exclusive mechanics.
  • Jeremy said:
    In short, we have been able to come up with tons of cool ideas for cult wars, but nothing that would really make the competition worth it.

Thoughts, ideas, comments?
    If the competition isn't worth it in and of itself, any decent prize would just turn the competition into a chore to be gamed.

If the competition is worthwhile on its own, it doesn't need a huge prize because people will want to get involved in it on its own merits.

Obelisks are an example of the former. They're a boring grindy trudge and a significant amount of the playerbase has looked at the system and said "Nope, those rewards aren't worth it" and ignored it, and the rest of the playerbase looked at it and decided to just game the system with offhours attacks.

Shardfalls are an example of the latter. AM is finished with shard research and still goes out to fight. Teams regularly go out when they know they can't win because fighting is fun and so you might as well give it a try, maybe pick up a few shards, maybe score an underdog victory. It's fun enough that people actively go out of their way and try to get involved and log on going "Did I miss the shardfall??"

We're a competitive bunch. If the competition is fun, we'll pile in just so we can gloat about winning. If the competition isn't fun enough, there's basically no balanced reward you can give us that will make us want to do it. Make a fun system. The rest will handle itself.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• I agree with Khizan with the PK faith/gain change being a bad idea. I would like to see Sect wars become more about area control than just camping at one altar and sitting on desecrate.
  • I do like the idea of area control as well. Something that expands outward from your altar/temple.

Originally we shelved the idea of cult/sect bashing areas because we did not think people would like it. We are working on something like that now.

I am fiddling around with the idea of both. 

• I personally wouldn't mind getting X number of random beans as a reward every imperian year. Satisfies the collectors like me, and there are uses for pvp and pve. My only concern is the gradual accumulation of them over time so figuring out how many, how long they last, etc. will have to be considered. 

HELP BEANS if you don't know what I'm talking about.

• edited November 2013
    Sarrius said:
    <Champion stuffs>

This system is a bad system for all of the same reasons why every other Elite White Knight E-Bushido Duel Arena conflict system suggestion has been a bad system. 

I will sum them up by saing that it's a divisive system that limits participation. Teams will consist of artifact-laden A-listers while the majority of the org gets to sit it out and watch.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• IniarIniar Australia
    It's obvious now... Reward system : Winner gets @Svorai for a week. Monday rolls around, Svorai's up for grabs again. :D
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • edited December 2013
    Jeremy said:
     belief gain/loss will happen on all player deaths from now on.

Garryn should be loading and announcing it soon.

I'd like to bring this up again.

Aydamis is -340,000 belief for the week, because he's been fighting in all the battles. He hasn't even tried to bash it up, because he has limited playing time and doesn't want to bash when he could be fighting. 

Because he's not going to bash for it, I have to or somebody else has to, and that's a lot of goddamned bashing being shoveled out onto the rest of the cult.

And so, I have two choices here:

1. I can suck it up and pay for all his deaths myself
    2. I can kick him out of the cult.

Both of those choices suck. I don't want to spend hours bashing because he's a special snowflake who thinks his playing time is more important than that of the rest of the cult. And I don't want to kick a guy out because he'd rather fight than bash. But goddamnit, I am seriously considering it, because seriously, 340k in the hole without a single mobile offered or a single positive day.

Please cap PvP belief loss like you've capped PvE belief loss, so that you don't lose belief when you're at 0% faith, so that I don't have to kick people like that out for actively working against our ability to become a Sect, or our ability to buy rituals, or our ability to build a Temple. Right now you can be a 100% loss for your cult/sect, and that's crappy.

• What ever happened to that meeting or whatever, anyways?
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • Sarrius said:

What ever happened to that meeting or whatever, anyways?

It happened but it is sort of on going. We have been discussing sects almost daily. You will be getting an update soon.
  • Khizan said:

Sarrius said:

<Champion stuffs>

This system is a bad system for all of the same reasons why every other Elite White Knight E-Bushido Duel Arena conflict system suggestion has been a bad system. 

I will sum them up by saing that it's a divisive system that limits participation. Teams will consist of artifact-laden A-listers while the majority of the org gets to sit it out and watch.

Re: this post..

I'm fine with that outcome because we already have an all inclusive combat system: shardfalls. Why shouldn't we have one that has some level if exclusivity too? This is the perfect, low key place to include something like that and I continue to be baffled as to why every proposed conflict system must be as inclusive as shardfalls are. Yes, they are successful, but that doesn't mean everything should be in their style.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • These forums blow.