Skip to content

16 Years of Iron Realms!

IRE is 16 years old and we are releasing Ironbeard upon the masses. 

Aside from the pure awesome of that, the question is: 

What where you doing 16 years ago?

I was 23 getting face punched everyday in the gym and had 3 little kids.

Comments

• IniarIniar Australia
    Reading LoTR for the first time.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • I was in high school doing research for a project on the Knights Templar. That research took me to the main page for Achaea.
  • I was 8 years old watching cartoons and doing 8 year old kid stuff. I feel young now.
    Never give up, never surrender, and if you have to die, take some of them with you.
  • I was five years old, I spent most of my time on a swing or going down a slide.
  • I was eleven. I think that's what? 6th, 7th grade?
  • @Septus It was, then we learned of Mortal Kombat, and things of that nature.
  • I would have been in college.  So I was probably drunk or otherwise altered, skipping class and playing video games.

I sort of discovered muds around this time  and messed around with them on occasion but they all tended to be terrible. So so terrible.

IRE-wise would have been about 1 year away from playing Achaea for the first time and around 1.5 years from finding a character that actually stuck and that finally got me to buy credits. 
  • Same as Septus, six and thought Street Fighter, FFVII, and Chrono Trigger were boss.
  • I was 10, just got a playstation and I thought gameday 98 was the greatest thing ever. Broncos with John Elway and Shannon Sharpe were overpowered.
  • I was six and hadn't even entered the console game world aside from Bust-a-Move 2 and Battle Arena Toshinden -- watched Dad play FFVII from start to finish and all the Resident Evil trilogy
  • Khizan said:
    God, this thread makes me feel old.
    Man ain't that the truth.
  • edited September 2013

Lionas said:
    Khizan said:
    God, this thread makes me feel old.
    Back in my day, we had a wooden hoop and a stick, and we were happy for it.

And you can tell exactly how old by the amount of jpg compression on that picture. Hoo boy. Didn't notice that at first.
    I am the righteous one... 
    the claims are stated - it's the world I've created 
  • Was six. My time was split between Super Metroid and Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant(on an old Tandy that took multiple seconds to draw each frame).
  • Dicene said:
    Was six. My time was split between Super Metroid and Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant(on an old Tandy that took multiple seconds to draw each frame).
    Unrelated note, they released this on steam this week for 5 bucks.  Sort of tempted but don't want to ruin the rose tinted glasses memories.
  • Wizardry 7? It's also on GOG.com. Both sites use the Gold version though, which always turned me off with the atrocious avatars. If you ever feel like going back through it, grab DosBox and the original game. Feels so...right.

Back on topic, don't think we had internet until like, '99 or later(grew up deep in the mountains of Eastern Kentucky). Even if I had had more than a basic knowledge of the alphabet and English language at that time, Achaea would have been out of reach.
  • I was twelve years old and taking care of my younger brothers. In the end it was good that I didn't kill them(out of sheer righteous annoyance) because seven years later one of them introduced me to Imperian. (Which he quit playing after about two weeks, thankfully.)
  • 16 years ago, I was 7 years of age and pestering my parents to paint my room a dark blue and to put up stars on the walls and ceilings area, so I could feel like I was sleeping in space. Good times.
  • edited September 2013

I was 13 and thought aggressive inlines was the best. I also purchased Prodigy's Fat of the Land on vinyl and decided to be a Keith Flint look-a-like.

• MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    9 years old. Just started drawing DragonBallZ all the time and was known as the weird nerdy asian loner who draws all the time.
  • I was 9, likely lost in dreams about what the future might hold. Funnily enough, not much has changed.

Anyway, here's to the next 16 years!

• Holy nostalgiaville, Batman:

Was 9 - I lived in Lexington, KY at the time and my grandparent's place backed up to an open-to-the-public horse farm. My brother and I would go run around that and annoy all the adults. On the nerd side, it's a little hazy when I got my first playstation, but it would've been around then - I was addicted to Frogger, Jet Moto, and Legend of Dragoon.
  • I was nine years old and living in California, watching reboot and the starship troopers cartoon and playing handball (wallball) and game gear while children in Japan were hospitalized for seizures while watching Pokemon.
  • I played a lot of Doom II then. I was good with the shotgun, but to save ammo I would stand at a corner and slaughter all the bulls charging at me with a chainsaw.
  • I was 9. Probably just finished reading the Lord of the Rings for the first time, and exploring the worlds of Feist, Pratchett and Simmons. I had all my family, and was enjoying school.  I was probably going through my first playthrough for FFVII, which led to many more in the future.
  • VivianneVivianne Atlanta, GA
    edited September 2013
    I was 18 and graduated High school 16 years ago, May 1997 in a small town called Winchester, TN where Dinah Shore was born.