Skip to content

Minting Money

edited October 2012 in New Ideas
Most city commshops have a freaking huge surplus of gold ingots, since it's not used for anything, ever. Why not let orgs mint their own money from gold? It'd provide a steady source of income that could fund guards/soldiers for the military system, and make ore/rock towns a bit more economically important, and also actually explain where the hell gold comes from anyway (current theories are 'spontaneously generated within the bodies of mobs' and 'dimensional rifts to a plane full of money that open when you kill something'.)

For clarification, I'm not saying let cities churn out millions of gold per ingot, but have a minting press and whatnot that could generate a trickling supply of gold sovereigns from gold ingots.

Comments

• Interesting idea. I think we certainly have a comm surplus and doing something about that is on my list. Without a million other things.

• Cities should be able to mint competing currencies, valued only by the speculative value placed on it by its citizens and their fair faith value of the government. Kinsarmar gold would only work in Kinsarmar, no self respecting shop owner in Antioch would touch it.

Fortunes could be made speculating on the relative values of these currencies, until an entire government collapses from mismanagement and their currency becomes worthless.

• Of course a self-respecting Antioch shopkeeper would touch it.

They'd just melt it down into bullion and Antioch would remint it.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• edited October 2012
    I was honestly more thinking along the lines of "let's turn surplus comms into gold over time", but a full-fledged economics system with exchange rates and such would be pretty cool.
  • Abigail said:
    I was honestly more thinking along the lines of "let's turn surplus comms into gold over time", but a full-fledged economics system with exchange rates and such would be pretty cool.
    I think spreadsheet are pretty cool, too.

Back to Eve Online.

(What's keeping people from doing this now, anyway?)
    Someone powerful says, "Its broken. No more pulling the guillotine."