Skip to content

Champion suggestion

Comments

• MenochMenoch Raleigh, NC, USA
    I've yet to turn anyone down for a 1v1, for the record.
  • edited March 2013
    To return to an era where duels are a 'thing' would please me, even if it would be a not-so-tremendous shock if I end up being awful. The big duelist time of the year is every Tournament of Ages, when we see tiered duel brackets. I just wish we had things that encouraged more of these time periods. The rewards don't even have to be massive. I just want to have fun using my class again, and I don't really 'get' that in team fights.

It would also require a significantly long period of intelligent balance considerations, at the expense of team combat. I know I am willing to make that sort of effort (and in some cases of professions I would play, sacrifice - we can't possibly think some of the things in our circles are FAIR in 1v1, can we?) but I am insane and also in the most miniscule of miniscule minorities.

Ellen gets an 'A' for effort, but the proposed system has far too many hangups that have already been stated.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • It's hard to get back to that climate. Back in the day when most of us were earning our street cred, no one could cure. You had to be a defensive genius and an offensive genius. You had to be REALLY adaptable in combat because your system could die at any moment. This meant there was a lot of grey area to meddle around in. Your defense could suck, because you had such a solid offensive system.

Nowadays, EVERYONE cures like a champion. We've also developed cookie cutters for every class that work really well. There are also classes that are just stupid easy to kill people as. It's a completely different game. Most of the people who fight now have no idea what it was like back in the wild-wild-west of you better code your system to reset when it dies.
  • Haha, like I had a system. Linear triggers on Zmud. If you DSLed me with mercury first I was dead, but god help you if I dstabbed you with benzene/benzene first because then YOU WERE DONE.

Going back to the olden days is a nice thought but in reality you'd have to invent a time machine and assassinate Whyte and then Garryn and that's more work than I'm willing to put into a MUD.
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • Don't wanna sound whiny, but nothing about Juran/Septus being able to lock me in an area sounds reasonable or appealing to me. Juran and Septus can kill me as monk with nothing more than spamming Crush from any random room in my area. If my lack of artifacts and trans minis didn't create such a canyon between people like Juran and myself, maybe that system would make more sense. But there is virtually no chance of me getting anywhere against him 1v1 and him being able to force me into fights whenever he felt like grabbing a pk would just discourage myself and other low/mid players like me from even participating. From where I'm standing, the reason behind Champion isn't bringing back 1v1 duels or something like that, it's so that people that want to pk can pk without the foreplay of killing Lothesh 100 times and catching a bounty. They can get apprentice champ and go find a champ to try and jump, or they can bash to full champ and enjoy the lovely 2x bonus until someone else jumps them. 

I'm not champ to go around jumping people, I'm champ for the 2x bonus, the no exp loss on death, and because I don't mind being a target for people's pk whims. But if they can't kill me when they know where I'm at, what I'm doing, and have unlimited prep time, they don't deserve to get my champ. Forced duels would just give artifact giants and monks free kills. That's no bueno.

• Ellen said:
     I might be an odd one, but that excites me far more than fighting people who die in two hits

You're a non-aspect druid with no artifacts. Odds are good that you're going to be the person dying in two hits. :p

That aside: You're fairly new to the fighting scene, you're using a new, powerful class, and I never see you out in actual real world fights. This leads me to suspect that you just don't recognize how vast the differential here can be.  You just haven't fought enough to get that reality check. The difference between the A-list and the B-list is really pretty huge.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• edited March 2013

Ahkan said:
    It's hard to get back to that climate. Back in the day when most of us were earning our street cred, no one could cure. You had to be a defensive genius and an offensive genius. 
    That attitude pretty much amounts to "It's not fair that the average newbie can cure my offense! If you don't have a bachelor's degree in computer science, then you don't deserve to play this game." As someone who couldn't code her way out of a wet paper bag, I'm glad that things like Whyte's system and later the server-side autocuring actually allow me to participate in the game without being forced to learn things that I'll never have a chance of understanding.

Just looking at the 2004-2005 era forums will show you that back then, when only a few people could cure, folks running around PKing everything that moved for any reason imaginable was a huge problem. Not a lot of people could fight against someone that knew what they were doing, and that kind of power was abused to no end. It didn't matter if you were a noncombatant; so much as "being part of a guild that my guild's at war with" was valid PK cause, upheld by the administration.

Having at least a defensive system in place does well to partially mitigate that level of bullying and make people's gameplay experience a lot less painful.
  • Khizan said:

You're a non-aspect druid with no artifacts. Odds are good that you're going to be the person dying in two hits. :p

That aside: You're fairly new to the fighting scene, you're using a new, powerful class, and I never see you out in actual real world fights. This leads me to suspect that you just don't recognize how vast the differential here can be.  You just haven't fought enough to get that reality check. The difference between the A-list and the B-list is really pretty huge.

This sounds like a fair assessment, since the majority of my fighting experience is from the arena. Large team-oriented conflict just holds no interest for me, sadly. It takes the fun out of killing someone if I know I had allies to contribute, and it takes the fun out of dying if I get killed by massive burst damage instead of something I can learn from and try to prevent.
  • Back 'in the day' there were so few fighters that if I wasn't dueling Dregaur or Jagara, I could go an entire day without fighting anyone.
  • @Abigail

No. He's just saying that it was different back in those days. Back in the wild west, 1v1s were more common because 95% the game was on an equal level of "I am terrible at this" and you didn't NEED to know what you were doing to kill people. Landing the first aconite/curare DSL could win you the fight right there cause their linear triggers would crap themselves, and even if they went through they'd just eat maidenhair while they were off herb balance. Curare/Bromine was a win button against a lot of people just cause their linear triggers would go eat;apply and after the eat failed they'd take another 5 seconds to manually eat maidenhair. 

When I joined the Diavlous as Khizan, I had to spend a week as a novice. During that week as a novice, I won arena events with aconite, curare, raze, and behead. Arena events against some people who were quite decent for the time, even.  Aronus would regularly win at odds of 1v6 or more by doing "arc aconite, arc curare" and then beating them down individually while they all failed at eating maidenhair.  

It was a entirely different world back then. While you'll occasionally see us old timers wax nostalgic about the old days, the game has changed and it is better for it. We just miss the old days because we were Ajax, Odysseus, and Diomedes, and not the nameless masses being slaughtered by them.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    edited March 2013

Definitely remember those long, long hours sitting at my computer finding line after line and setting up the thousands of lines of code to make it all work, simply so I could survive someone using ciguatoxin/metrazol on me and such. A part of me wouldn't have had it any other way though, cause I feel it, overtime, made me a far better fighter in the long run.

The only real reason I'd love to see a possible change in Champion protocol is simply the act of change itself. I don't enjoy when the game becomes stagnent after doing the same thing over and over. That's just my two cents though.

• AzefelAzefel Singapore
    what the hell is curare :(
  • Khizan being old.
  • Achaean Ciguatoxin. :(

• I still have nightmares sometimes about Trenon JPKing me to death in the Antioch sewers .. over and over .. Abigail might be on to something. I was probably bullied. :C
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • You mean you provoking somebody and got attacked over it?

Yep! Definitely got bullied!

• Remember Trenon's exploit?

Kai deliverance/behead
  • Wait, so-- Can someone give a tl;dr rundown of why the idea doesn't pan out?

Most of the 'problems' I see are cured by the point that it's opt-in. If you want the bonuses from Champion, then you have to take the risk, too. Sometimes there are people that you can't beat, and you lose. I don't see why that's an issue, at all. As we've established, death isn't a huge deal, I think.
  • Honestly, just import something like the  Quisalis Mark to Imperian.  Make it like Ellen suggests. Enjoy the 3 people who participate killing each other being bored with it after 2 days of fighting the same people over and over again.

TLDR:
    1.  Class imbalances make it sucky.  Look at old malignist (not new malignist, don't look at that trash) and how half the 1v1 whiteknights flocked to. 
    2.  As she  has suggested it, it impacts team combat way too much potentially.
    3.  IF you really care about 1v1 skill, challenge people to combat ranked spars or duels.
    4. The reasons the days of old were so badass were because anyone who was a priest with fullheal (sup) or something better than linear triggers could dominate 80% of the population by virtue of striking first(not so sup in my case).
    5. Ellen objects to group combat  due to personal views. This is like Abigail refusing to use retardation and saying Mage sucks.

• edited March 2013
    I don't object to group combat at all, I just don't enjoy it. I would like to point out that distinction.

Edit:
    Selthis said:
    1.  Class imbalances make it sucky.  Look at old malignist (not new malignist, don't look at that trash) and how half the 1v1 whiteknights flocked to.
    I have issue with this being used as an argument against what I suggested, since it is an argument against 1v1 itself. As I said earlier, it's completely fine that you don't enjoy 1v1 combat... but that doesn't mean that other people don't, and that doesn't mean that the people who -do- enjoy 1v1 don't deserve some ways to have it happen naturally. Ways that don't involve asking 'Meet me at Caanae' and the other person accepting.

Whether or not what I suggested is good or not is an entirely different argument, mind you, but this point in particular has nothing to do with the merits or follies of what I suggested.
  • edited March 2013

Because very, very few people are going to bother to opt into it, for all the reasons already mentioned. And, really, anybody who would opt into a system like this would just agree to a straight up 1v1 fight right now anyways. 

Not only that, it will make people into a team fight liability in a clumsy ham-handed attempt to force 1v1 dueling into shardfalls.

My optimal strategy will actually involve throwing my own circle members under the bus in a way, because I'm going to need to get a B-tier fighter to join the system, so that they can challenge Azefel or whoever during every shardfall and shieldspam the fight to a 15 minute draw, preventing him from actually participating in the shardfall. They don't have to kill him. In fact, I don't want them to kill him, cause then he can come back and maybe participate against us.

Ideally, this will be somebody who doesn't otherwise leave the city, so that they'll never actually have to face the downsides of joining this system. But it can't be somebody like me, because my contribution to shardfall teams is too important to use me as living CC. Somebody has to be tanky DPS, and we're fairly low on tanky.

• The team-fight criticism is a sound bit of criticism. Even though I still think the ability to leave opt out at any time they want would severely limit the downsides in practice, that could be annoying to people who don't want to have to re-do the Champion ritual after every Shardfall. The criticism that 'nobody would participate' is, however, another beast entirely... you assert it, but I don't understand why you think that's the case. The biggest downside is subjecting yourself to being ambushed by one person at most, and that honestly isn't a big downside. Sure, Justus might wake up every once in a while and squish you... but then you move on, a death is a death, and worst-case scenario involves you opting out temporarily so you can hunt in peace.

I would just like to say that I'm not necessarily arguing in favour of what I suggested exactly anymore. I still think it works, but others don't, and that's fine. What I really want to stress is that there are people who do enjoy solo fights, and they shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get them.

• Ellen said:
    I don't object to group combat at all, I just don't enjoy it. I would like to point out that distinction.

Edit:
    Selthis said:
    I have issue with this being used as an argument against what I suggested, since it is an argument against 1v1 itself. As I said earlier, it's completely fine that you don't enjoy 1v1 combat... but that doesn't mean that other people don't, and that doesn't mean that the people who -do- enjoy 1v1 don't deserve some ways to have it happen naturally. Ways that don't involve asking 'Meet me at Caanae' and the other person accepting.

Whether or not what I suggested is good or not is an entirely different argument, mind you, but this point in particular has nothing to do with the merits or follies of what I suggested.
    Again, you're playing a druid.  1v1 as knight is hellishly boring and samey. Same with summoner. Malignist is laughably bad unless Iluv is hungerwhoring you to get a truelock.  A lot of classes aren't basking in a post revamp glow smoking a cigarette.

There is a big difference and if you don't see that and most of the people who have been around the game for years are telling you that, then I don't know how to say it  so  you'll see. 

Like I said, make it a secondary system like the Quisalis mark, and I guess enjoy your participation that way.  But do not require killing mobs or sect sacrificing. Just an opt in 1v1 system.  I think Aetolia implemented  something sort of  like that I suppose its doable  here too.  But do not mix the 1v1 up with the Champion system.

Alternatively, make it possible for me to get aspect perks without opting into Champion and without spending credits on soulstones and I will abandon the system forever for only the true hardkkkkore 1v1ers or whatever.
  • edited March 2013
    Aetolia's Sect of Blades is an interesting system, but it relies on the people to participate in it and they seem to have a more optimistic view of one on one combat - not to mention their class balancing isn't entirely trapped in this awkward paradigm of 'the only combat that really happens regularly is team combat in shardfalls'*.

*: As far as I know.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • An organization like what Aetolia has is something I would be completely fine with. As I mentioned earlier, staying true to my exact suggestion isn't important to me.

That said, I do not appreciate bringing up my profession or inexperience at combat into this. It is the most irrelevant detail to the point of the discussion. You enjoy Champion as-is and don't want it changed? That's a sound argument, the only reason my suggestion was based off Champion at all is that I was under the (mistaken?) impression that Champion was intended to foster 1v1 fights, and it was never my intention to drag people into 1v1 fights who have no wish to be there.
  • Ellen said:
    That said, I do not appreciate bringing up my profession or inexperience at combat into this. It is the most irrelevant detail to the point of the discussion.
    Legitimately not  trying to dismiss your opinions because of it these. I'm sorry if I sounded as such. 

But I am trying to give you a frame of reference several others have  mentioned in their posts as objections to it..  Class revamps happen and change people's opinions. Lots of classes got decentish timebombs in their revamp.  Lots of other classes are  stuck in odd places based on Imperian's timeline. 

• Azefel said:
    what the hell is curare :(
    I actually thought it was a joke :|
  • Unfortunately with combat rankings and sparwho, no one wants to participate in one they know in advance they will lose. Here's a system for 1v1 that is already in place in Imperian. Might be worth looking into how to make it relevant/attractive to use.
  • Honestly, I'd prefer a system that didn't require anything but OPT-IN 1V1 CONFIRM. Bashing up to champion or waiting for a champion to leave city/council as an apprentice or winning the roulette game in a shardfall is just to much effort when I can just do, "Hey, meet me in caanae/meet me at the coliseum."