Skip to content

afk/idling, pros n cons

2»

Comments

• MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    Abigail said:

But what's the point of killing someone who's AFK in the first place? There's no challenge and the XP reward is crap.

We likes the killing we does.
  • If you like killing an automated curing system, sure, I guess.
  • You are killing an automated curing system anyway. Even more nowadays.
  • There's a strange joy that comes out of beating your opponent, regardless of circumstance and then sending them a tell a bit later that basically reads 'you are mad cuz I am stylin' upon you.'
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • Why would I care about the challenge? I just want them to die. It's even more fun if they're AFK in a way. because then they'll come back to find themselves in Dis and that'll probably piss them off and lead to more messages like "You'd never beat me in a fair fight, you coward!" that give me another reason to kill them.

Also, back in those days, they had no chance in a 1v1. 90% of the world had no real system at all, and you could just sap them 4-5 times and absolve cause they'd never drink mana. This is not a case of me boasting how awesome I was back in the day; this is me saying that a kid in middle school could beat up a second grader. 

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• edited February 2013
    Khizan said:
    Why would I care about the challenge? I just want them to die.
    Well, what does dying do to affect them? A few minutes spent not getting to play the game? What's that going to hurt them if they're AFK? A couple percent of XP gone? I can bash that up in ten minutes.

It seems freakishly pointless to me to PK someone for the sole purpose of PKing them and it'd make a lot more sense to actually have fun by fighting them when they can fight back. That's ostensibly the point of PK, right? To have fun? By playing the game?

Unless a person's idea of fun is picking on people who can't fight back, in which case they should find a time portal back to 1998 and play Ultima Online because they'll have a helluva time there blowing up AFK skill macroers.
  • Khizan said:
    As you would know if you were a real PKer, the effect dying has on a lot of people is that they go absolutely hilariously frothing at the mouth insane with rage. Ragequits, FIGHT ME LIKE A MANs, frenzied suicide attacks, torrents of messages, forum posts, the works.

It's awesome.
    I have fifty one kills to my name, a decent selection of them seasoned combatants, some of them solo, and not one of them has ever thrown a pissy fit of any caliber at me for killing them. Not even when I used retardation.

I might complain on the forums if I get killed but I know better than to rage at people for text pwning my text mans.
  • Rillian said:
    it took me a while before i realised the blank eyes meant afk. (maybe i'm just a bit slow :P probably cos i want used to afking being allowed)
    I am slower than you. For years I saw those blank eyes I thought these people were just emoting and acting cool, as I seldom tried to talk to them anyway. In fact I searched help files to learn how to have blank eyes myself without success. I understood the meaning only after I saw your post.

What is more interesting is that some people go afk without blank eyes. This has to do with the clients they use and their custom scripts I guess. For example, in the clothing tent west of the shuk, I always find Blyth standing there, motionless except rubbing mass salve once in a while, and occasionally her pet would drop rats to her. I have had a lot fun observing her and talking to her (without her responses of course).

I appreciate your effort in rp. I am kinda new in rp but I start to enjoy it. Thank you for showing Dukkha how to fish last month.