Skip to content

Upcoming changes in the March 2013 round

Disclaimer: this post is NOT about mages and summoners. That one will come later this week.

As mentioned in announce #2278, we have a couple of somewhat far-reaching changes scheduled to be done as a part of this classlead round.

1. Willpower / endurance

The primary effect of willpower/endurance is to place a cap on how long various abilities can be used. While management of finite resources is, and should remain, an important part of combat, endurance/willpower are a bit too arbitrary. Practically, the only effect that they have is imposing limits on how long you can participate in combat or bashing. Add to it the different comsumption rates of different professions, and the decision is obvious.

Willpower and endurance will both be removed from the game.

The willpower regenerating artifacts will be refunded, of course. Abilities that drain endurance/willpower will be switched to a mana drain instead, or changed to drain nothing at all where warranted. This will naturally need to be decided on a case-by-case basis. Abilities whose sole purpose is to affect the regeneration of these two will need to be repurposed or removed (preferrably the former). Should you have any ideas about how this could be done, you are of course welcome to file a classlead report in the ongoing round, or to post them here for discussion.

2. The Rift

What is the Rift? How would you explain it? It's just one of those purely technical concepts that kind of, well, exist. It has a significant practical gameplay purpose, but is a rather strange concept.

For this reason, we're looking at making the concept largely transparent, while preserving its actual effects. In particular:
- anything that requires riftable items will automatically take them from the rift (no more OUTR first) as needed
- the above will not work with forced commands
- when you receive something riftable, it will automatically be stored in the rift
- the rift will be renamed to something like 'safe storage' (exact name to be determined)
- inventory/IR viewing will be altered accordingly

These changes are going to be done incrementally, and the plan here is to get to the point where you can simply treat the rift as a part of the inventory. The storage capacity, including artifacts to enhance it, will remain.

Most of this will have no impact beyond convenience, with one noteworthy exception - it will become possible to eat plants while entangled without having to maintain a supply of them out of the rift. I don't expect this to have noteworthy impact on any game mechanics that would be worth preserving, as the "pre-outrifting" option has always existed, but please do let me know if you can see any.

3. Totems

This one is still highly tentative, but I am rather seriously considering removing totems. These used to be a cornerstone ability in Runelore, but now with the semi-recently added rune flaring options, Runelore has enough going even without them. Considering that the primary use for totems is to discourage melee and for some "gimmicks", they do not really feel like something worth preserving. I am not really decided on this one yet, and any thoughts on the matter are very much welcome.

Comments

• Why rename the rift? Storage space doesn't seem fitting and people will probably keep calling it rift long after it is renamed which will confuse novices.
  • You say outrifiting will be possible while entangled. Does this mean it will also be possible with both arms broken? (Hoping not!)
  • It will. Basically the rift will behave as if it didn't exist and the plants were always in inventory.
  • edited February 2013
    I'd be sad to see totems go, honestly. They've just been such a part of being a Runeguard, lorewise. Maybe allow them to keep RP device totems?
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • I am fine with altering totem functionality instead of removing them entirely - the primary idea here is to remove their melee discouraging capability.

• First question: What would you be using as a replacement for totems?

Second question: I know you and Jeremy mentioned that aff classes were going to get a 'team review' of abilities, is that going to get shuffled into this round of classleads or is it up to us this round?

Third question: I'm planning on dropping a nerf to aeon (removing the bottle-neck) which is a pretty significant downgrade to the ability. Will classlead approvals be based on the +/- nature of suggesting nerfs? If I nerf aeon, I'm reducing my overall effectiveness, which would justify a buff elsewhere in the skillset that I wouldn't need if my aeon classlead was rejected.

Fourth Question: - Avoid asking for too much - solutions that require significant additions or alterations to multiple abilities, or even whole skillsets, are unlikely to be approved due to time constraints. 
    With defiler, there's a lot of small problems that make the class fall short. Do you suggest we address these tiny problems across a list of say, 16 classleads? Or do we just pile them into to one classlead like:
    Problem: Defiler is a linear class that functions on "Can you tank my damage? If no, die. If yes, I die." Solution 1: Ravage does more damage. Solution 2: Treant does more damage  Solution 3: Entropy does more damage. 
    Do we hope that you can plug and chug the numbers and choose 1,2,3 or any combination of the proposed solutions?
  • edited February 2013

I am trying to figure out why it's needed to remove endurance/willpower? I think of two abilities that currently has issues with it and that would be CLOTTING and POSTURE for monks. Beside that I don't see how people run out of either. You have reserves, abilities, the memorial statue, shard abilities and tattoos to keep you running forever. My solution: Remove WP/END drain from high draining abilities and replace them with minor drains, on abilities that really does affect combat. And finally, giving endurance/wp draining abilities a mana drain instead is going to work very well with how absolve/cath works -> might be some issues with that. 

The rift shouldn't change that much and I suppose in general it would be a good change for everyone, even though I also will miss "rift-locks" (It still works on people!!!).

I haven't hit a totem for a very long time. If anything let Wytchen keep em :D

EDIT: Actually I would be lying if I didn't mention elemental forms to the high drains, though I am actually uncertain on how much it drains nowdays after the last rounds of classleads.

• 1) Willpower and Endurance removal is a pretty good idea. I know how many times I've been limited to fight because of their existence. However, this will bring in a lot of changes. Skills, Life aspect conservation, Seki's statute, some other sort I'm probably missing. This might be a bigger change then the rift, in my opinion

2) Sounds good but even though the option of outrifting existed before, 80% of people never really used it so it was still advantageous to entangle or break arms. I have no objections but others probably do

3) This seems highly debatable. Totems are pretty useful in a lot of things. From preventing raids to turning the tables in a fight. I would actually classify totems as something extremely important, because with shardfalls and everyone having a tracking pet, totems provide a great breather and force the attacker to think before jumping in. However the issue lies in the fact that totems are only provided to demonic and magick for city protection, while AM has to live without it so there will be a lot of debate on this. I don't want totems gone though. I consider them extremely important for everything. 

• edited February 2013
    @Ahkan

1 - I'm not really sure if any replacement is needed, considering the recent tablet additions.

2 - Yeah, not really sure yet. The review mainly involves looking at afflictions that are considered "filler" and altering them to be more effective. There may be time for that during this round - will see!

3 - I'd suggest waiting a few days with that one

4 - Separate reports

• Will statpacks that give bonuses or maluses to endurance and willpower also looked into with the change?
  • @Iluv Are you referring to any in particular? With the possible exception of Sturdy, none of them really looks like it would need further alterations.
  • Antrax said:

I am trying to figure out why it's needed to remove endurance/willpower? I think of two abilities that currently has issues with it and that would be CLOTTING and POSTURE for monks. Beside that I don't see how people run out of either. You have reserves, abilities, the memorial statue, shard abilities and tattoos to keep you running forever. My solution: Remove WP/END drain from high draining abilities and replace them with minor drains, on abilities that really does affect combat. And finally, giving endurance/wp draining abilities a mana drain instead is going to work very well with how absolve/cath works -> might be some issues with that. 

You are looking from PK perspective. Willpower and Endurance are quite annoying when you bash. I think the aim is to make bashing less tedious as well, and not having to stop bashing just because you ran out of endurance/willpower would be a great change. 

Also some classes during bashing suffer a high drain on end/will compare to others (Mages, Diabolist?) vs (Knight classes) 
  • Endurance and willpower drain are highly annoying when bashing as a Predator; the former is most frustrating when using prowling in clot-heavy aggro areas. I will not miss that at all.

@Garryn: How will "no outrift necessary" work with concoctions? Will I just INPOT 500 MANDRAKE TO POT and the system will automatically outrift and inpot for me?
  • My only complaint (a purely selfish one) with the removal of wp/endurance would be that it'll likely add another passive mana drain ability onto monks (posture). Beyond that, this would be nice. Is moradeim warp going to die the final death with this?

Rift thing I'm not so fond of. It'd be nice not to have to write a pre outrifting tracker, but it'd also mean that a lot of things become significantly weaker offensively. Burning outrifted herbs on someone to riftlock or whatnot was fairly viable, even if they did outrift. The main ones that immediately spring to mind (as they're the ones I have more experience with) are riftlocks, reducing dsb damage, and curing in aeon/retardation (although if that's being changed this round that might be irrelevant). This would definitely be awesome for group battles, but the one v one implications make me :( a little.

I'm biased, but I've never found totems particularly interesting. If you're fighting one you have the option of diving it and almost certainly losing at least one of your useful people before everyone can stand up, ranging the totemer and hoping he's not pro and can reprop before you move in, or just sitting as far as possible and trying to snipe off people with ranged (admittedly, Am as the faction without totems has the best method for doing this, but still: boring). Don't really think they should be left without something to replace it just because having one of your abilities flat out deleted always sucks, but maybe tablets were enough to fill the void.

• I applaud the death of totems, the outrift command, and the essentially worthless willpower and endurance stats.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • Just a quick thought: will bashing level influence any reserves after this goes in? Or will it strictly end up as mana and hp for quest/pk only.
  • Septus said:

My only complaint (a purely selfish one) with the removal of wp/endurance would be that it'll likely add another passive mana drain ability onto monks (posture). Beyond that, this would be nice. Is moradeim warp going to die the final death with this?

I'll probably just give it a cooldown, unless a better idea is provided.

Rift thing I'm not so fond of. It'd be nice not to have to write a pre outrifting tracker, but it'd also mean that a lot of things become significantly weaker offensively.

While I don't disagree with this, it's really difficult to balance anything around these possibilities, as they're so easily countered if you don't mind potentially wasting some resources.

Don't really think they should be left without something to replace it just because having one of your abilities flat out deleted always sucks, but maybe tablets were enough to fill the void.

Yes, absolutely. I'm still considering options here.

Septus said:
    Just a quick thought: will bashing level influence any reserves after this goes in? Or will it strictly end up as mana and hp for quest/pk only.
    It probably won't, but we'll see.
  • MenochMenoch Raleigh, NC, USA
    edited February 2013
    You guys going to pay attention to any aspect classleads? Or will that still be the same old, "Outside the scope" during classleads, and outside of classleads, "Save it for classleads"? 

E: I intentionally refrained from bringing up summoner until you make that thread.
  • That depends on the request.
  • I am talking about Faster Balance Recovery and Slower Willpower Recovery. These are going to go but is there anything going to be put in place to replace them?
  • Abilities that drain endurance/willpower will be switched to a mana drain instead, or changed to drain nothing at all where warranted.

Clarity (perception). A lot of us use this skill to keep clerics from forcing us to do stupid crap like: drink alcohol, metawake on, warning on, skywatch on. If clarity received a mana drain, it would sort of defeat the purpose. 
  • I'm quite happy to see the change to the rift as I was going to classlead that Runelore automatically OUTR inks much like how Tattoos do now.

The loss of totems would be a considerable problem for passive defenses within Magick territories, and while I confess not to know if it is different for Demonic with our Wytch counterparts,  I would assume it is the same for them. Perhaps make it simply so they cannot be wielded? Only implanted within areas of a Magick influence.

I'm also curious to see how the elimination of Willpower will affect a skill like Clarity, though I'm assuming it'll become a mana drain. Hopefully not an unreasonable or unmanageable one.
  • edited February 2013
    Arakis said:
    I'm quite happy to see the change to the rift as I was going to classlead that Runelore automatically OUTR inks much like how Tattoos do now.

The loss of totems would be a considerable problem for passive defenses within Magick territories, and while I confess not to know if it is different for Demonic with our Wytch counterparts,  I would assume it is the same for them. Perhaps make it simply so they cannot be wielded? Only implanted within areas of a Magick influence.

Ask AM.  Basically, they've dealt with it for years.  Get over it.  I'm fine with losing implanting.  Its the standing that has potential to be an issue.
    Totems are also probably the most ineffective and negligible city defense there is. If your group was going to die to that guardclot with the paralysis+xfix totem, they probably were going to die without it too.
  • Septus said:

Rift thing I'm not so fond of. It'd be nice not to have to write a pre outrifting tracker, but it'd also mean that a lot of things become significantly weaker offensively. 

With the cheap cost of herbs and the huge amounts of CC one can expect to find in a team, I recently revised my outrifter to default to keeping 50 of everything outrifted, with a macro to outr another 50 or so. At current prices, if I die like this, this puts me out maybe... 1200 gold or so?

Things that rely on riftlocking are essentially combat newbietraps that really only work on people who aren't willing or prepared to ante up a few hundred herbs per death. 

Arakis said:
    The loss of totems would be a considerable problem for passive defenses within Magick territories

You mean "the loss of totems would equalize defenses across the circles"

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Ineffective and negligible, hardly. For AM to produce a similar effect, and by no means equal to it, we'd have to trap the entire city/council with snare traps. Which only hits one person in the group, is no longer there after it's been hit, and dependent upon the layer's enemy list.

After attacking celidon the past few days, their totems outside the crest kept me(and everyone else) incapable of doing anything for at least six seconds, and that was with metawake on. A snare trap will only hinder you for three at most while leaving the rest of your team free to move about.

• Totems are unnecessary and generally give magick and demonic an unfair advantage in terms of territory defense. Not to argue in favor of making raiding or speedwalking through a city to a defensible point to kill one dude easier in some way, but totems have outlived their purpose what with engineering siege and etc.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
    edited February 2013
    Menoch said:
    Totems are also probably the most ineffective and negligible city defense there is. If your group was going to die to that guardclot with the paralysis+xfix totem, they probably were going to die without it too.

Seemed to be a little confusion there, hope we got that clarified.

E: In practice, totems result in the infiltrator tanking a totem hit, then the rest of the group tanking a totem hit, one time. That's the real effect they have, day to day.
  • If the totem changes for implanthing do go through though, I'd like to se a lot more openess to redoing city layouts using development.  The differences in orgs are staggering.  I'm not saying make cities unraidable but I am okay with them being very difficult to raid and being more optimized for  defense. 

For example, compare Ithaqua's old layout to Antioch's for siege. or Stavenn's/Celidon's.

Some places have received  major revamps  of their shop area to put them all on the  siege line when other places have been denied etc. 

With the state of city coffers it'd be a slow transition to  optimal anyway.  Also would maybe give a use from some of those excess comms that have fixes on the horizon for.